Push mowers are machines designed to cut a grass surface to a uniform height. In general, they are included in the category of lawnmowers.
Push mowers are non-powered machines, and to operate them, a user needs to apply mechanical force. They are ideal for use in small lawns and gardens. Now let’s have a look at the best push mower for the money.
- Things to Consider Before Buying Push Mowers
- Top 5 Best Push Mower for The Money
- 1. Great States 304- 14 14-Inch 5- Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- 2. American Lawn Mower Company 1204-14 14-Inch 4-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- 3. Scotts Outdoor Power Tools 304-14S 14-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- 4. Great States 815-18 18-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- 5. GreenWorks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower 25022
Things to Consider Before Buying Push Mowers
- Size of Lawn
Push mowers are recommended for the yards having an area of ½ acre or less. If the size of the lawn is more, then it would become troublesome to mow the entire lawn because push mowers require you to push them consistently.
Therefore, for mowing a large lawn area, it is recommended to use a ride-on mower instead.
Topography plays an essential role before buying a lawnmower. Is the lawn flat and clear? Or is it surrounded by hindrances?
Homeowners having compact and flat lawns are usually interested in push mowers. If, however, your lawn has hills and other obstacles like rocks or lawn decorations, then using a ride-on mower or a self-propelled mower is recommended.
- Power Supply
Push mowers can be powered-up either by electricity or gas. Each of these methods has its pros and cons. Gas operated mowers have more power and can last a longer duration in each mowing session. However, their maintenance is tedious and they require a pull cord to start.
In contrast, electric mowers are easy to operate and they work without making any noise. Furthermore, their maintenance is very easy, but they are less powerful and enduring as compared to gas mowers.
- Size of Deck
Deck size refers to the width of the blades in Lawnmowers. The optimum deck size preferred by most homeowners is between 30 and 60 inches.
Wider deck sizes make lawn mowing swift if the yard is flat and has a uniform shape. However, push mowers with a wider deck are difficult to operate on a hindrance-filled lawn. Smaller deck sizes are preferred.
- Grass Clippings
These are trimmed grasses that are left behind or collected by the push mower itself. There are two ways to deal with grass clippings. First, if you have short grass, you can purchase a discharge mower.
The discharge mower will reject the grass clippings back onto your lawn. These clippings would disintegrate gradually and eventually form manure. The manure formed can then be used for the cultivation of plants.
However, if the clippings are thick, they’ll have the opposite effect, damaging your lawn.
The second method for dealing with grass clippings is by buying a mower with a bag. These mowers may be expensive, but they will help to deal with thick clippings.
However, in case you have a large yard, emptying the bag more than once is essential in a single mow session. Thus, it is essential to prepare a place for recycling the grass clippings.
Accessories are essential to buy with your push mowers. They can greatly improve the machine’s utility. Some examples of accessories are dump carts, fertilizer spreaders, rakes, etc.
- Safety Issues Related with Push Mowers
I had seen many of my friends carelessly using push mowers as if they are some kind of toy. However, push mowers are not to be operated without protection.
They have very sharp blades which can cause serious damage to a person. In the United States, over 12,000 people are hospitalized every year due to accidents related to lawn mowers. The vast majority of these injuries can easily be prevented by wearing a piece of protective equipment.
Furthermore, children should be at least twelve years of age to operate push mowers. A person using a push mower should wear heavy footwear and eye-protection throughout the mowing session.
- Environmental Risk associated with the use of gas and electric mowers
A crucial advantage of using a push mower is that it is environmentally friendly. It does not release any kind of pollutant in our environment. However, most lawn mowers are gas and electric operated and they pose a threat to our environment.
These mowers are known to produce GHG emissions, along with the release of carbon dioxide. A study has shown that they produce the same amount of pollution in 1 hour as driving a car 1000 kilometers.
They also create a significant amount of noise pollution and could cause hearing loss in a person who is using it for prolonged hours. A study has shown that lawnmowers produce 86-95 decibels of noise pollution.
For protection against noise pollution, it is recommended that users should have hearing protection like ear plugs and to reduce pollution, they can consider using reel mowers or battery-operated mowers.
Also, to prevent the soil in the lawn and roots of grasses, the height of the lawnmower should be adjusted.
Top 5 Best Push Mower for The Money
1. Great States 304- 14 14-Inch 5- Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- Quick and adjustable cutting so that grasses of different height can be cut easily
- No oil or gas is required for its operation, making it environmentally friendly
- Easy to handle so that older adults can also use it without any strain to their joints
- Does not produce any noise
- Leaves about 15% of grasses untouched so more effort is required to cut grass
- Not suitable for yards having long grass
- Would get stuck if operated on thick grass
2. American Lawn Mower Company 1204-14 14-Inch 4-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- Blades are made of quality to provide a good cut to the grass
- Does not require much maintenance and produces almost no noise
- Easy to maneuver in places which are difficult to reach
- Has fragile parts which are easy to break
- Not suitable for different species of grass which require special blades for cutting
- Is often stuck in grass after extensive usage
3. Scotts Outdoor Power Tools 304-14S 14-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- Lightweight and easy to use for everyone
- T-style comfortable handle for easy grip and good control
- If used correctly, it could cut down grass very quickly
- Changing the cutting mechanism is not easy
- Does not cut grass taller than 2 inches
- Cuts very low to the ground so there is continuous chance of damage to the mower
4. Great States 815-18 18-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- Made from durable parts so that it can be used for a long time without any damage.
- Gives a beautiful trim to the grass
- Very cheap to buy and easier to maintain
- Cannot be used over land with obstacles such as twigs and rocks
- Cannot be used to cut tall grass
- Manual stoppage of mower is required to collect thatch
5. GreenWorks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower 25022
- It is electrically operated and is ideal to be used in small lawns
- It is highly durable, and can be used for years without much damage
- Comes with rear bag to collect grass clippings very easily.
- Not good for using for prolonged hours
- Cannot be used in a large yard due to limitation in length of power cord
- Plastic parts attached in its body are very fragile so it should be used carefully
From the above-mentioned push lawnmowers, the best is GreenWorks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower 25022.
It is battery operated and requires very little effort to operate. Furthermore, it can be used to cut a variety of grass types as compared to the other mowers.
Assembling this mower is also very easy and requires 4 screws to be twisted while the other mowers, as we have seen, require lots of effort for their assembly. It also comes with a bag to collect grass clippings, but in the case of the other Lawnmowers, they require you to buy a bag separately for them.
One of the best things about this push mower is that despite being advanced, it is very eco-friendly. It does not require any kind of combustion fuel to work nor does it make any horrendous noise while working. It can be used as both a self-propelled or push mower.
It is also safe to use because its blades are covered by plastic. Furthermore, to keep it out of reach of small children, it could be folded and kept in a discrete location.
However, certain things have to be considered before questioning its potential. First is that this mower is made to be used on dry grass so you must wait before mowing the lawn after a rainy day. Second, it is ideal to use if you own a small yard.
However, if you have a big yard, it might be difficult to use this lawn mower. Finally, it requires an electric cord to be purchased separately.
Lawnmowers are fragile so it is very essential to have patience with them. Each lawn mower comes with its pros and cons. Deciding which lawnmower to use can become a difficult task, but if you have a good idea about the nature of your yard then it will become quite easy.
GreenWorks is a great company to buy a lawnmower from. They make excellent quality lawnmowers which are easy to use and have high performance. In the case of battery-operated lawn mowers, it is very difficult to change the batteries from lawn mowers.
Electric lawn mowers, on the other hand, only require you to plug an extension cord, and they can be easily operated. Thus, they have great advantages against other lawnmowers.