We do a lot of research when it comes to buying snow tires. But do we put the same efforts to look for the perfect shoes for the icy weather.
If you live in a chilly place, then you know how important it is to find the perfect snowshoes to protect your feet from freezing and yourself from slipping. Keep reading this article to find out more about the 5 best shoes for icy pavements.
- What Is the Need for Special Shoes in The Snowy Season?
- Choosing the Right Shoes for The Wet Months
- Top 5 Best Shoes for Icy Pavements
- 1. Crampons Ice Cleats Traction Snow Grips for Boots
- 2. Yaktrax Traction Chains for Walking on Ice and Snow
- 3. StyleZ 10-Stud Spikes Anti Slip Snow Ice Grips Over Shoe Traction Cleats Rubber Crampons Slip-on Stretch Footwear
- 4. Kahtoola NANOspikes Footwear Traction
- 5. Unigear Traction Cleats Ice Snow Grips with 18 Spikes for Walking, Jogging, Climbing and Hiking
What Is the Need for Special Shoes in The Snowy Season?
When the cold season hits, the need for wearing a suitable and comfortable shoes increases. If you don’t pay proper attention, then you might have to endure cold feet and slippery pavements.
Snow boots come in different styles and types. As the snow season hits once in a while, we often get confused about which kind of shoes to wear? During the winter season, every outdoor activity requires special equipment. Let’s find out why do we need special shoes for the wet months?
If you don’t choose the right kind of shoes for yourself, then you might end up with cold and achy feet. The right kind of shoes will make your experience in the winter season more energetic and fun – be it your long dog walks or your enthusiastic run.
If you are staying at a place with extreme cold temperatures, proper winter gear will not only make it comfortable for you but also ensure that you have the right protection.
Choosing the Right Shoes for The Wet Months
When the winter season arrives and if you are planning a snow trip, then you require an expert preparation. It is that time of the year when slippery snowy slopes will be a part of your everyday routine.
To tackle this, you need the right kind of cold weather shoes. Routine shoes will not do if you want to be able to comfortably walk around on your feet. Let us go through some of the features that you can look for while shopping for your winter gear;
1. Shoes Built from Leather or Faux Leather
These kinds of shoes keep the snow away from your feet. They are long-lasting and will keep you safe too. You can spray a waterproof product to be extra sure in making them snow proof.
2. Shoes That Have Cozy Lining Giving You Insulation
These are the most desirable kind of shoes that will keep you warm in the winter season. A good insulation lining keeps your feet both warm as well dry
3. Shoes That Provide Good Traction
If you are planning to travel in snowy and rugged terrains then this is one important quality that you need to consider. Microspikes are perfect for mountain climbing, hiking or going fishing in the cold weather.
4. Shoes Which Can Keep Your Feet Dry
Your shoes should be water-resistant. If they are not resistant to water, then your shoes will be wet throughout the day and will become heavier. This might also result in making you sick.
5. Shoes with The Perfect Size
If your shoes are ill-fitting then they will keep slipping out of your feet, which will make a way for the snow to get inside them. You should be well aware of the size that you are buying. Your shoes should be half a size bigger as you will have to wear warm socks as well.
Top 5 Best Shoes for Icy Pavements
After my thorough research on the net, I found these 5 products to be quite useful for the snowy weather.
1. Crampons Ice Cleats Traction Snow Grips for Boots
Crampons are metal spikes attached to shoes to provide a good traction on ice. Crampons make it easier to walk on ice as they are quite flexible and are convenient to put on.
- Designed with 19 high-quality stainless steel spikes which will keep you safe in the worst to worst conditions.
- These shoes are uniquely designed with a chain system which makes them fit for climbing heavily covered snow terrains, icy roads, icy driveways, icy trails, wet grass and mud.
- Crampons shoes are manufactured from Thermoplastic Elastomer (a combination of plastic and rubber), that is 5mm thicker than the normal rubber.
- Provides long-lasting comfort and longevity as they come with adjustable, easy to put straps.
- Portable and lightweight – makes them easy to fit in and carry anywhere.
- Suitable for males as well as females of any age.
- The only authorized seller of this product is Cimkiz Plus. If you buy it from any other company, there are chances that you might receive a fake product.
2. Yaktrax Traction Chains for Walking on Ice and Snow
The Yaktrax walk traction cleats use steel coils which are abrasion resistant. Their underfoot pattern is a crisscross one which provides a better grip on the icy pavements.
- A premium product made with natural rubber sling.
- Provides super traction even after prolonged use on icy and snowy surfaces.
- Comes with TIG welded steel links to ensure durability even in difficult situations.
- These crampons come with a coil system which contains an elastomer harness system covered with multiple stainless steel coils.
- Designed with a ladder pattern which provides heel to toe tractions.
- Available in Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large to fit all kinds of shoes and boots.
- Easy to put on and take off.
- These shoes provide a super traction which might result in the wear & tear of your shoes because of the heat produced.
- These shoes might be suitable for icy sidewalks and runs, but they are not helpful in case of crossing a glacier or a dense snow zone.
3. StyleZ 10-Stud Spikes Anti Slip Snow Ice Grips Over Shoe Traction Cleats Rubber Crampons Slip-on Stretch Footwear
This product comes with ground gripping studs which are made up of steel. These are highly elastic which makes them easy to remove.
- Made up of TPE thermoplastic elastomer and special non-slip steel studs which enhance the grip on the snowy ground.
- The design of this product is quite compact which makes it easy for them to carry and store.
- Equipped with durable and stretchy rubber which can easily fit over any kind of sports or climbing shoes.
- Gives traction on ice, snow-covered- mountain, while fishing or hunting.
- They are quite convenient to take off and put on.
- The cost of TPE elastomer products is higher than other products.
- Studies show that TPE elastomer rubber loses its rubbery behavior and softness in a short period.
4. Kahtoola NANOspikes Footwear Traction
If you are an enthusiastic road runner then this version of the Kahtoola nano spikes can prove out to be perfect for you. These are specially designed for a smooth transition from dry to icy pavements.
- These shoes come with evolved spike design making them good for early morning runs as well as for walking on heavy snow-clad pavements.
- They are equipped with a network of 10 tungsten carbide studs.
- These shoes are lightweight and come with a low profile winter traction device.
- They are quite easy to take off and put on.
- While running if you hit on a rocky pavement, then there is a slight chance of damage in the shoe spikes.
5. Unigear Traction Cleats Ice Snow Grips with 18 Spikes for Walking, Jogging, Climbing and Hiking
Unigear traction cleats are lighter and tougher. They are the best heavy-duty crampons which are well equipped with long lasting soles.
- This product is lightweight and quite strong to travel long distances over ice and snow.
- These are efficiently designed with stretchy thermoplastic elastomer.
- The chains and claws of this product are manufactured with heat-treated stainless steel.
- The claws are ½ inches long and are strategically designed to provide the best grip possible.
- The product has 18 spikes per foot, extra spikes placed in the front provide a firm grip to climb.
- The temperature resistant thermoplastic harness ensures that each step is firmly placed.
- The sizes available are small, medium, large, extra-large. Sometimes, this creates confusion for the consumer in choosing the correct size.
Out of the five products that I have discussed in this post, I feel most strongly about Kahtoola NANOspikes Footwear Traction. These stainless steel crampons might give you a weather, corrosion resistance experience. These crampons are known for their strength.
They are hinged crampons which are quite flexible for climbing on snow and icy glaciers. They are uniquely designed to blend with the boots. These shoes are tested to work on -60 degrees F.
The use of micro-nano spikes makes it easier to use in all kinds of areas. They are made up of elastomer harness which keeps them durable for a long time.
This quality also helps them to maintain their flexibility as well. These spikes can fit into any kind of shoes. The only disadvantage of this product is the chance of hitting the rocks which might damage the spike system of the product.
If you want to stay safe on the snow and icy pavements, you can consider opting for any of the above mentioned five products.