For areas witnessing heavy snowfall, winters are a big challenge to the natives in terms of mobility and transportation and god forbid if the snowfall proves to be heavy and torrential.
Because then plowing your driveway becomes a hellish nightmare; and if your driveway is paved or made out of a rugged material, then plowing it is only going to cause damage to it.
As such, investing in a best tractor snow blower combination is the wisest decision one could ever take to prevent damage to their driveways.
- What Is A Tractor Snow Blower Combination?
- How Does A Tractor Snow Blower Work?
- Some Considerations Before Buying A Tractor Snow Blower Combination
- 5 Best Tractor Snow Blower Combination
What Is A Tractor Snow Blower Combination?
As the name is very well suggestive of a combination in itself, a tractor snow blower combination refers to attachments that you can fit in front of your lawn mowing machines or tractors in order to move or displace large amounts of snow at the cost of minimal effort.
Since they are powered by the extremely powerful tractor engines, snow blowers can throw more snow than normal or even heavy-duty gas blowers and exponentially more snow than what an individual is capable of doing using conventional tools such as plows or shovels.
The best part about using snow blower attachments is that you get a mobile and riding snow removing machine at the cost of one.
How Does A Tractor Snow Blower Work?
Before you can venture off on understanding how your snow blower attachment is going to work, you need to know that different engines support different types of attachments and thus have their own set of instructions and steps of hooking it with the tractor.
The basic terminology is the same though- you shall be tuning the attachment to the primary motor of the tractor through the clutch and the V-belt. Once you have installed the attachment correctly, you can power your way through heaps of snow as easily as fire cuts through ice.
The mechanism is pretty simple: a collecting structure (for lack of a better word/phrase) keeps collecting the snow in front of it as the tractor moves forward.
The collected snow is rapidly sent to an outlet that sucks it at either the same speed as the tractor is moving or at a speed slightly lower than the tractor; this outlet keeps spitting out the collected snow in the direction in which the outlet vent has been oriented.
You can orient the vent in any direction you wish with the help of a lever that comes as a part of the whole attachment system.
Some Considerations Before Buying A Tractor Snow Blower Combination
Before you venture off and make a rash purchase that you may end up regretting later, you need to ask yourself a couple of questions and consider some factors that will end up either justifying your purchases or prove to be a waste of money.
- The very first factor to consider is to know whether your location has long winters or not for a prolonged period of the winter weather carries with it more chances of snowfall- either in heavy or in meager amounts. However, if your place does not witness heavy snowfall during the entire winter season, then buying a tractor snow blower combination is again a waste of money only; go for one only if the winter season is longer at your place and if you know for a fact that heavy snowfall is a common phenomenon for a considerable period of time.
- Another thing you need to make sure is that you can justify buying the tractor snow blower combination; and how can you do it? Well, we discussed one aspect in the previous point. Another way to do this is to ensure that you have a sufficiently long driveway on which you can drive the tractor. If the driveway is small, then buying a snow blower attachment is just not worth it for you can get the job done with the help of a normal snow blower only.
- One of the most imperative things to know while buying a snow blower combination is to know whether you have a tractor or a riding lawn mower at your disposal for like we saw earlier that all attachments are different from each other and have a totally different manual. Thus, you need to know what kind of machinery you have just so you don’t end up with an attachment that is not even compatible with your tractor/lawnmower.
- Another major thing to consider is space because snowfall is just a phenomenon lasting for a couple of months at worst. For the rest of the year, you are definitely not going to drive around your tractor with a snow blower attachment hooked to it unnecessarily right! Therefore, you must ensure that you have ample extra space in your barn or godown or whatever it is that you use for storage purposes, for your new toy.
If you have set your mind on buying a snow blower attachment, then it is only fair to assume that you have done your research and know the ins and outs of such attachments and are here just for some good recommendations and so without wasting much of your precious time, let us delve into the intricacies of some of the finest snow blower attachments that you can buy for yourself in the current market:
5 Best Tractor Snow Blower Combination
1. Mtd Three-Stage Snow Thrower Attachment
This particular attachment has an intake of 840 square inches of ice in a single go. Standing firm at 42 inches wide and 20 inches deep, the MTD snow thrower attachment can handle the deepest of snowfalls and toss it up to 30 feet away with relative ease with the help of a remote-controlled chute.
The attachment also comes equipped with skid shoes that allow your tractor to maneuver in the ice with relative ease and also with scraper blades to prevent any sort of damage to your property. A third accelerator auger handles the heaviest and the iciest of snow with the utmost ease.
- Very easy to attach
- Excellent performance
- Easy to maneuver and control
- 180-degree chute
- 3rd accelerator auger allows it to work even in the most extreme of conditions
- Its placement makes refueling of your tractor a bit of a hassle
- Highly specific and compatible with very limited models
2. Mtd Three-Stage Snow Thrower Attachment
The reason that this particular snow thrower makes it to this list is that it can throw all of the accumulated and troublesome snow to a minimum distance of 50 feet- that is a staggering number let me tell you.
With a 12-inch serrated auger, this particular snow blower is capable of handling snow up to 18 inches deep.
Another feature of this product is the skid shoes and wear plates that allow you to toss all of that unnecessary snow here and there in the toughest and uneven of places all the while making sure that neither the surface nor the lining of the attachment sustains any damage.
- 180-degree chute
- Can throw snow 50 feet and further
- Easy to attach and detach
- Very durable
- Height needs to be adjusted manually
3. Arnold Mtd Genuine Parts Two-Stage Snow Thrower Mower Attachment
This model is one of the most versatile choices out there in the market right now for it can serve your purposes regardless of what kind of tractor you have.
Apart from versatility, flexibility is its next selling point- this particular attachment has a 220-degree rotating chute which means that you can clear neighboring areas also without having to move your tractor sideways.
However, all those traits go down the gutter due to the absence of skid shoes.
- 220-degree rotating chute
- Compatible with a plethora of tractor models
- All mounting provisioned with the set
- Simple assembly
- No skid shoes
- Lack of wear plates also cause damage to the surface
4. Husqvarna St42e Snow Thrower Attachment
The point of attraction for the ST42E is its snow throwing capability to up to 50 feet made possible by the 12-inch serrated auger. Another feature of note in this attachment is the lighter weight, which keeps the machine away from getting strained while it is at work.
Other than that, the presence of skid shoes and wear plates ensure good mobility even in the worse of situations and also prevent all sorts of damage both to the surface as well as to the attachment.
- 180-degree chute
- Easy to attach and detach
- Initial assembly is very easy
- A perfect fit for various terrains
- Compatible with a variety of Tex-style tractors
- Throwing distance of 50 feet
- Needs some weights and chains to balance the weight out
5. Husqvarna 581 Tractor Mount Two-Stage Snow Blower
This is the most powerful of snow blower attachments in terms of the clearing intake. Where all other attachments on the list have a standard intake of 42×20 inches, the Husqvarna 581 has an intake of a massive 50×20 inches.
A 12-inch steel 2 blade auger makes it capable of throwing snow as far as 50 feet. The standard skid shoes and wear plates are also provisioned.
Other than that, the major selling features of the 581 are the electronic lift and the Hydro-Gear heavy-duty gearbox that ensure that you need not stop every time to make changes and adjustments; everything is remote-controlled.
- Completely remote-controlled
- Massive intake capacity
- Electric adjustment
- Can throw snow as far as 50 feet
- Very heavy
- Assembly is time-consuming as well as a little tricky
Having reviewed 5 of the best options on the market right now, it is now time to crown a winner, don’t you think? Well, this decision was very easy to make.
The best product out of the 5 is the Husqvarna 581 two-stage snow blower. Its performance is at par with even the MTD three-stage attachment despite being a two-stage blower.
Its features, its performance, everything puts the others to shame. It has good compatibility with quite a variety of tractors. Despite being a little heavy and a little bulky to store, the 581 gets the job done with the utmost ease.