Mowing a hilly slope can prove to be quite a daunting task. The struggle not only includes mowing of the hilly lawn, but it also involves choosing the best walk behind hill mower for hills.
If you have been going through a tough time in choosing the correct product or if your old machine is driving you crazy, then keep reading this article to learn about the best lawn mowers for hilly slopes.
- What Is the Need for A Mower for Your Hills?
- How to Choose the Right Walk-Behind Mower for Your Hills?
- Top 5 Best Walk Behind Hill Mower for Hills
- 1. Honda 662300 21 in. GCV200 4-in-1 Versamow System Walk Behind Mower w/Clip Director & MicroCut Twin Blades
- 2. GreenWorks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower 25022
- 3. Snapper XD 82V MAX Electric Cordless String Trimmer without Battery and Charger, 1696771, SXD82ZST
- 4. American Lawn Mower Company 50514 14-Inch 11-Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower, Black
- 5. Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc 21-inch 3-in-1 Rear Wheel Drive Self-Propelled Lawnmower
What Is the Need for A Mower for Your Hills?
Be it a garden area or a sloped terrain, your lawn needs to be trimmed once in a while. In earlier days, a lawn was trimmed manually by using small equipment.
With the invention of a lawnmower, the grass cutting experience of a gardener became much easier and faster. If you don’t mow your lawn for an extended period, then it will affect the health and appearance of a lawn.
People always complain about walk-behind mowers not being very productive, but if chosen correctly after a thorough research on your lawn then you can manage to get a high-quality walk-behind mower for your hilly lawn.
How to Choose the Right Walk-Behind Mower for Your Hills?
There are so many advanced products available in the market, that it becomes difficult to choose the right one for your lawn. Before understanding the factors behind choosing the right mower for your hills, let us learn about the different types of mowers that are available in the market.
Hill lawn mowers are categorized based on battery, gas, or electricity.
After the invention of the gas-propelled engine, you will find mowers choosing machines working on gasoline these more than the others.
Walk-behind gasoline mowers have self-powered cutting blades but they require a human to walk them and cut the grass. The drawback of these mowers is that gas is smelly and you always have to keep an eye on the level of fuel left in your mower.
mower battery lawn mowers come with a rechargeable battery. You don’t have to worry about refueling gas or damaging the cord of the machine.
These types of lawn mowers come with more run-time duration and have more potential power as compared to other lawnmowers. The drawback of these lawnmowers is that they are heavier than other mowers which can make them hard to push.
These are the most commonly used lawnmowers. They come with a cord that is to be plugged into an outlet to switch them on. These electric mowers are exceptionally quiet and they make only 75 decibels of noise. When mowing large sloping hills, the cord can turn out to be a disadvantage.
Let us look at some of the factors that you should keep in mind before choosing a mower for your lawn.
It can turn out to be difficult for people to push heavy lawnmowers. Hence, you need a powerful lawnmower as well as light. You should try out your lawn mowers in person before choosing the right one.
The deck of the lawnmower for hills should be adjustable as per your requirements. It becomes manually easier to cut the hills if your lawnmower can choose the height of your cut.
Deck is the part of the lawnmower where the blades are found. According to the deck size, you will get to know how much cutting power does your lawnmower has and how many blades are included in it. The huge your deck is, the easier it gets to move your lawn around.
Size of the Wheels
Lawnmowers for hills should have wheels bigger than the traditional mowers. Larger wheels give more stability and durability to the lawnmowers on the hilly terrains. These wheels will be able to take the wear and tear.
The lawnmower for the hills should have comfortable and stable handles. The handles should be sturdy enough to handle the vibrations of the mower. The handles should not jostle your arms, making you lose control of the vehicle.
Top 5 Best Walk Behind Hill Mower for Hills
After my thorough research on the net, I found these 5 walk-behind lawnmowers to be quite useful for hills.
1. Honda 662300 21 in. GCV200 4-in-1 Versamow System Walk Behind Mower w/Clip Director & MicroCut Twin Blades
- One of the best self-propelled lawn mowers for hills which comes with a unique superb technology.
- It comes with an exceptional cutting capacity and cuts grass in different ways.
- Easy to use lawn mower which comes with convenient folding handles.
- The wheels of this lawn mower are of the ideal wheel size which helps in smooth and straightforward pushing.
- Expensive as compared to other models.
- The design of this lawn mower is quite heavy which makes it difficult to push on hilly terrains.
2. GreenWorks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower 25022
- This is one of the lightest models on the market.
- It comes with a powerful 12AMPs motor and with a cutting depth of 20-inch.
- Equipped with an ideal 3-in-1 discharging system that can be used to store residues in the rear bag.
- One super helpful feature is the handy 7-position height adjustment system.
- Available with a push start button which makes it quite practical and easy to use.
- It comes with a limited length of power cord. Handling the power cord can turn out to be stressful.
3. Snapper XD 82V MAX Electric Cordless String Trimmer without Battery and Charger, 1696771, SXD82ZST
- Available with an 82 V lithium ion-battery with 2.0Ah which gives a run-time of 25 minutes.
- It comes with a 21-inches of mowing deck, which is built with stainless steel and can easily cut through any type of grass.
- Equipped with a practical 3-in-1 discharging system that allows the mower to mulch, store the residues in the bag and discharge them.
- It comes with a smart technology that adjusts the power as per your needs.
- Manufactured with easy to start push up button and a single lever with a self-propelling system.
- Wheels are inclined to lock without the self-propelled system.
- If used for a long duration, then the battery drains very fast.
4. American Lawn Mower Company 50514 14-Inch 11-Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower, Black
- It comes with a powerful 11-Amp motor which provides power to cut all kinds of grass with high efficiency.
- Large 14-inch blades with a height adjustment of 1 to 2.5 inches.
- Comfortable handles whose height can be adjusted as per your requirement.
- 2-in-1 system with a rear discharge and mulching system.
- Equipped with a 16 gallons grass bag which indicates the level of the grass for easy disposal.
- Not very great for shallow hills.
5. Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc 21-inch 3-in-1 Rear Wheel Drive Self-Propelled Lawnmower
- It comes with a powerful 163 CC Briggs and Stratton engine for effortless mowing.
- Equipped with a 21 inches triple action cutting system with a huge deck.
- 3-in-1 discharge system which contains a rear bag, and a 1.9-bushel capacity bag.
- Enormous 8X8 inch high-performance wheels and perfect hand-gripped handles.
- The handles are big but are not comfortable to hold.
Out of the five products that I have discussed in this post, I feel most strongly about Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc 21-inch 3-in-1 Rear Wheel Drive Self-Propelled Lawn Mower.
This product is said to make a fantastic outdoor power machine. It comes with a deck washing system that lets you easily clean the blades and the deck with no struggles.
The equipment has a wash port where you can connect a hosepipe and use water to clean the machine. It can be conveniently used as it is self-propelled without any obstructions. The machine is very lightweight and can be easily pushed around making the job easier and less tiresome.
The mower is manufactured with a powerful 163CC engine which provides a terrific experience. The starter has to be pulled once or twice before the engine starts.
This is a 3-in-1 mower that is equipped with a mulch bag, a discharging system, and a residue storage system. There are 6 height cutting adjustments in this mower which allow you to set the equipment.
The equipment has gigantic wheels of the size 8 inches at the front and the back, which is generally good for hilly terrains.
The speed of the mower can also be adjusted as per your requirement. 4 speeds can be chosen to move the vehicle. The machine is also equipped with secure blade controlling handles that can help you regulate the blades with ease.
The drawback of this machine is that the levers are made up of plastic and are not very long-lasting. Also, the handles are convenient, but they are not well-cushioned which might result in pain in your hands.
Every lawn and every person’s strength is different, hence it is always better to research a walk-behind hill mower thoroughly before choosing one.