What is a Hori Hori knife?
A Hori Hori knife is a heavy serrated multipurpose steel blade and is sometimes also called ‘soil knife’ or a ‘weeding knife.’ The word ‘hori’ means to dig in Japanese from which this name has derived.
It is used for digging, cutting, and many other gardening chores. It is a cross between a pocket knife, a serrated knife, and a trowel—a useful tool because of its versatility. With the best Hori Hori knife, you can keep your garden pristine.
- What is a Hori Hori knife?
- How to use a Hori Hori knife?
- What Do You Need to Look for In a Hori Hori Knife?
- How to Clean and Sharpen a Hori Hori Knife?
- Best Hori Hori Knife
How to use a Hori Hori knife?
As we mentioned earlier that a Hori Hori is a multipurpose tool, you should know the real usefulness of this gem of an instrument. Here are a few ways it can be used in the garden
- Cutting – This tool is both a knife and a shovel. It can be used to harvest herbs, fruits, vegetables, etc. You can also use it to cut down weeds and cut unruly vines like honeysuckle.
- Weeding – It is quite easy to use it for digging and cutting deep-rooted weeds. The sharp blade will help in loosening the soil, and then you can easily cut it.
- Planting – You can use this knife to dig rows for seeds or seedlings. The blade has markings with precise measurements. You can easily dig holes of equal depth and also use it as a trowel to rake the dirt.
- Harvesting – Hori Hori knife is excellent for cutting fruits, vegetables, and herbs. You can even harvest root vegetables with it.
- Removing stumps – Just like it can remove deep-rooted weeds, it can also help remove small stumps of old bushes and trees. Since it can both cut and pry, it makes the job easy.
Apart from gardening, a Hori Hori knife is a useful tool to take camping.
- Fixing a tent – Staking or pulling the stakes out, both are easy with this tool. Since it is both a shovel and a knife, it can cut through tough soil easily.
- Kindling – You need the right size of tinder or kindling to get the fire going. With this tool, it is easy to cut any stick or wood piece to the correct size.
What Do You Need to Look for In a Hori Hori Knife?
This is a multipurpose tool that all gardeners should have in their arsenal! It would be best if you first took note of your requirements and then look at the options available. Here are a few things which you should pay attention to when selecting a tool like this.
Generally, a Hori Hori knife length ranges from 11 to 15 inches, including the handle. The blade size is around 7 inches in length and 2 inches in width.
These blades are made from high-quality stainless steel or carbon steel. Since the knife will come in contact with soil and water a lot, so a strong reliable material is used.
The blade has serrations on one side and a sharp edge on the other. It is slightly concave that helps to do the digging and planting effortlessly. There is a ruler etched on the side of the blade.
Most knives come with a wooden handle. It should be riveted to the tang of the knife. This means that the blade will run between the two pieces of a wood handle.
Some Hori Hori knives are available with plastic or resin handles, but you must check them properly. Wooden handles are the best because they are more attractive and durable.
Tang is the piece of steel that runs inside the knife. Full tang means that there is one single piece of steel running from end to end. Look for a full tang because it makes the tool more durable and strong.
When you dig, you apply a lot of pressure, and only full tang can handle this pressure. It will also prolong the life of the tool.
To keep any tool in good condition, it is essential to keep it stored well. After every use, you must clean it thoroughly and then keep it in a sheath. A good sheath should fit well and protect both the tool as well as you from its sharp edges. Look for good quality material on the sheath for it to last long.
How to Clean and Sharpen a Hori Hori Knife?
It is effortless to clean this tool. Use warm water and a wipe cloth to remove any dirt or debris from the blade. Once in a while, you can oil and polish it to keep it in good condition.
Camellia oil is a good option, and you should take a small amount of it and rub it on the blade. It will prevent rusting or corrosion.
It is easy to sharpen the blade with a tool file whenever you think it is getting dull. Once in a while, it is advisable to take it to a professional for sharpening and ensuring that the blade remains in good condition.
Best Hori Hori Knife
How do you find the best Hori Hori knife? It depends on what you intend to do with it. You must make sure that it fits well and feels comfortable in your hand. Choose carefully, and to help you, we have a list of 7 best Hori Hori- knives.
1. Mtn Tree Stainless Steel Japanese Hori Hori Knife
This tool is manufactured from 100 % stainless steel and is very durable and strong. Its design is based on a Japanese sansei knife which is a versatile and multipurpose tool that can replace many tools from your toolbox.
It has a full tang blade and you can feel the strength in all actions. This blade is up to all tasks like harvesting, weeding, and planting, and you can use it throughout the year.
The tool has a beautiful leather sheath that will protect you from the sharp edges and also keep the knife safe. The tool dimensions are 13.5 by 1.5 by 3.2 inches, and it weighs 15.2 ounces.
The handle is made of wood and is very comfortable to hold even after long hours of usage. The blade has a ruler, and it is easy to check the depth while digging.
- It has a limited 5-year warranty
- Design and look of this tool is impressive
- The sheath is of good quality and strong made
- It does not come with a sharpening file
This brand is on top of our list because of its design and quality. It is powerful, and you can do several gardening jobs with it.
2. Truly Garden Hori Hori Garden Knife
This is a beautiful knife set that has a Hori Hori knife, a sturdy leather sheath, and a tool for sharpening. It makes for an ideal gift to any gardening enthusiast because it comes in a souvenir checkbox.
The whole packaging is environmentally friendly. The blade is of 7 inches in length and has one super sharp flat edge and one serrated edge. It is made of 420-stainless steel, which is very strong and has a full tang handle for extra support and strength.
The design also features a guard that will protect your hand. The sheath you get with it is thick and made of leather and keeps the knife safe.
It has embellished embroidery on the neck. You also get a diamond sharpening rod that allows you to keep the flat and serrated edges of the blade sharp.
- Perfect as a gift. Comes nicely packaged
- Its slightly curved shape is meant for scooping and digging
- Instructional videos are good for learning how to use it
- The design on the trim starts to fray and looks bad
It is a full tang knife and is very strong. There are three rivets to secure the blade better and includes a 5-year warranty.
3. Nisaku NJP801 Hori Weeding & Digging Knife
This is a strong and sturdy knife thanks to its powerful blade. It is made from 440-stainless steel, which is infused with vanadium.
It is very tough, and you can do many difficult jobs in the garden with this tool. The blade is concave and is made with authentic Tomita steel.
It is the finest quality Japanese stainless steel and is rust-proof. The construction of this knife has a full-width mid tang.
The advantage of this is that you get thick steel, but the knife is not very heavy. It has a ruler on top of the blade to measure easily.
The handle fits even small hands well and is ergonomically designed. This is a genuinely multi-purpose tool and will be very useful. Its size is 13 by 1 by 22 inches and it weighs 7.7 ounces.
- Perfect for a variety of tasks like digging, weeding, and cutting
- Made with authentic Tomita steel which is of the most excellent quality
- Makes for a great gift to friends and family
- It is mid-tang and not full-tang
This is a high-quality product and also very durable. The steel is of the most exceptional quality. It is a multi-function tool, and any gardener would love to have it.
4. CIELCERA Hori Hori Gardening Knife
This is a complete set with a knife, cover, and honing tool. Its blade is manufactured from refined 420-steel and is rust-free. This knife has a full tang, and the blade is secured with 3 strong metal rivets.
The tool has a wooden handle with a hand-guard that protects and keeps your hand safe. It is comfortable and will not cause any fatigue. You can use this tool for all kinds of digging, planting, cutting, transplanting, etc.
If you oil the blade regularly, it reduces friction and keeps it in good condition. The full length of this tool is 12 inches, while the blade length is 7 inches.
The thick sheath has a loop for convenience and keeps the knife safe. The blade has a concave shape which is perfect for digging. If you need to sharpen it after usage, there is a sharpening rod.
- Offers 5-year warranty and a 100 % guarantee of customer satisfaction
- It has a full tang and three rivets to secure it
- Wooden handle with handguard
- With very heavy and solid clay, it may bend or break.
This Hori Hori knife is ideal for a multitude of functions like digging, weeding, planting, etc. There is a full tang and it is quite strong.
5. Dino Tooth Garden Survival Japanese Hori Hori Knife
This is a genuinely multipurpose knife that is an excellent addition to any toolbox. Manufacturing of the blade is with 440-stainless steel. It is sharp and strong.
There is a unique embossed logo of a dinosaur on the base, which gives it a name. The blade has one serrated side and one smooth side. There are markers on top of the blade to help you dig precisely. A curved blade is better for digging and scooping out the soil.
For an avid gardener, it is an ideal tool because it is both light in weight and versatile. It only weighs 10.1 ounces while the total length is 12.25 inches.
You also get a stone sharpener with the product. It is easy to keep the blade in the best condition. There is a convenient hand guard to protect your hands while you use this tool.
- Multifunction tool at a reasonable price
- Full tang blade secured with rivets
- Whetstone sharpener to keep the blade sharp
- Consistency in build and quality is missing
A multipurpose knife that works well both in gardens as well as outdoors. Its curved blade is strong and very efficient. It is a lightweight tool yet very effective.
6. Japanese Hori Hori Gardening Knife
This tool is made with the highest quality SK 5 steel. The blade is rust-resistant and remains sharp for longer than other such knives.
One side has a sharp cutting edge, and the other side has a triple-point serrated edge. The construction is full tang, and the knife has excellent balance.
There is a beautiful handle made of hardwood which is rot-resistant, which is essential because it will come in contact with moisture and water.
The blade has a concave shape, which is great for digging and scooping. The sheath for this tool is made of easily washable nylon.
It is lightweight and will not fray like leather sheaths. It is perfect for several tasks around the garden, and you can take it with you when you go camping.
- Best quality SK 5 steel is used to make the blade
- Polished hardwood handle which is rot resistant
- 30-day money-back guarantee and lifetime warranty
- The blade and the handles don’t fit perfectly leaving some gaps
You can use this tool to accomplish many gardening tasks. It is strong, durable, and has a concave blade for easy digging and scooping. The full tang gives it strength and balance.
7. Sensei Tools
This tool has a slightly different design when compared with other Hori Hori knives. The blade is concave and has one smooth and one serrated edge, but the length is 7.5 inches.
This means that you can dig deeper. Instead of the usual wooden handle, there is a contoured plastic handle with a textured finish. You get a firm grip.
Construction of the blade is with mirror-polished stainless steel. It is sharp enough to cut through roots and dig through tough soil.
The marker on top of the blade lets you know the depth accurately. The sheath for this tool is hard-wearing leather which is very durable.
The total length of the tool is 12.5 inches, and the blade is 7.5 inches long. The company offers a full 90-day, 100 % money-back guarantee.
- A longer length of the blade for deeper digging
- The handle is made of plastic yet very firm and comfortable
- The blade is of mirror-polished stainless steel
- The leather sheath is not pure leather and breaks apart easily.
This knife is a top-quality tool with great design and high-quality materials used in its construction. It is durable and with a longer blade, an excellent addition to the toolbox.
A good Hori Hori knife can save you a lot of time and effort if you use it correctly. If you carry it with you, it becomes easy to take on several minor and major issues that you notice in your garden.
Instead of multiple tools, this one tool can do all the tasks! After you go through the information given here, we are sure that you will want to get one. Look at the options carefully to find the best one.
We have given you 7 of the best knives, and all are great, but we think that the Mtn Tree Stainless Steel Japanese Hori Hori Knife is the best among all the products listed here.
Its strong blade and full tang construction make it very strong. The added attraction is the durable leather sheath. With an excellent tool by your side, you will be on top of your gardening skills!