What Is A Pruning Saw?
Do you have a garden full of beautiful trees? We do know how valuable these trees are! They can attract birds and other wildlife animals, at the same time, hold the soil together.
However, it requires some work to keep them looking beautiful as well as healthy. This is where a pruning saw can help. It is a sharp tool with cutting saw-like sharp teeth. It is used for trimming branches of trees and shrubs. The best pruning saw can make your gardening easy!
- What Is A Pruning Saw?
- Why Do You Need A Pruning Saw?
- Best Pruning Saws To Choose From
- 1. Tarvol 14-Inch Heavy Duty Pruning Saw
- 2. EverSaw 8-Inch Pruning Saw
- 3. Corona RazorTOOTH Folding Pruning Saw
- 4. Fiskars 7-Inch PowerTooth Folding Pruning Saw
- 5. Anytime Garden All Purpose Folding Hand Saws
- 6. Silky Professional BIGBOY 2000 Folding Saw XL Teeth
- 7. Felco 600 Folding Pruning Saw
- 8. FLORA GUARD Folding Hand Saw
- 9. TABOR TOOLS Folding Saw
- 10. Samurai Ichiban 13" Curved Pruning Saw
Why Do You Need A Pruning Saw?
Are you an avid gardener and do you like having a beautiful garden with trees and shrubs? Is it troublesome and irritating when the branches start to grow in a very messy way?
It would be best if you had the right tool to tame these unruly shrubs and branches. To cut and control them, you need a pruning saw of good quality. Generally, pruning saws have medium length curved or straight blades and a firm handle.
Pruning Saw Types
Pruning saws are available in a variety of designs, depending on blade size and model. Some of them are
- Handheld – Handheld is the most common type of pruning saw, and most home gardeners would like to have them in their garden tool shed. These are small and generally have a straight or curved blade. Some of these can be used to cut thick branches, but mostly these are best for small or medium-sized branches.
- Straight Blade – They have straight blades and usually have a pistol grip. These are best for pruning and dealing with green wood and sap. The blades are straight, but the handles are generally curved and make them easy to hold.
- Curved Blade – The curved shape adds toughness and strength to the saw. The curve makes it ideal for heavy-duty cutting. You can get these with fine teeth, which are best for home gardens or with coarse teeth for heavy-duty work. Depending on the size of the blade, you can use them for both small and big branches.
- Pole Pruning Saw – The curved shape adds toughness and strength to the saw. The curve makes it ideal for heavy-duty cutting. You can get these with fine teeth, which are best for home gardens or with coarse teeth for heavy-duty work. Depending on the size of the blade, you can use them for both small and big branches.
Things To Keep In Mind While Choosing
Once you decide to buy a pruning saw, you are going to face a bigger problem! Which one to buy? You have to be clear about your requirements. This will help you in finding the most suitable pruning saw.
Blade length and strength are the most crucial factors to be considered while choosing a saw of any type. With longer saws, you get better reach and larger cutting capacity.
You will get longer and smoother strokes with the right length. Shorter blades are easier to control and take less space to store. Usually, the blades will range between 5 and 20 inches in length, and you can choose depending on your need.
After the blade, it is the handle that you need to look at. It has to be comfortable to hold. Look for good quality and non-slip grip. Handles can be of different materials like rubber, wood, and plastic. Make sure it is the right size and fits well in your hands. It should have a smooth finish.
It is the teeth that do the actual cutting. This is what is going to come in contact with the wood. There are two essential things. One is Tooth per Inch (TPI) and the other is size. The teeth sizes can be classified into
- Fine: TPI of 11
- Medium: TPI of 8.5
- Large: TPI of 6
- Extra-large: TPI of 5.5
Fine teeth are best for fine cutting hardwood, and medium teeth are better for softer woods. You can sharpen the teeth yourself if they get dull.
If you have a lot of trees and plants in your garden, then you are going to use the pruning saw very often. So it is essential to choose something durable. The material of the blade has to be of high quality.
Tough materials like tempered steel and high carbon Japanese steel are the best. The handles should also be durable. They can be rubber, plastic, or wood, but manufacturing has to be good.
Choose the right weight, depending on your needs. Weight will influence both the cutting and how you handle it. How thick the branches to be cut are would also be a crucial factor to reflect upon.
Heavy-duty saws are great but difficult to work with prolonged durations. You must pick up and hold the saw for a couple of minutes to check the weight and how it feels.
Best Pruning Saws To Choose From
Are you ready to buy a pruning saw? Now, you have enough information to make the most suitable choice. We present a list of the best 10 pruning saws to choose from.
1. Tarvol 14-Inch Heavy Duty Pruning Saw
This pruning saw has a very long curved blade. Cutting and trimming are effortless because, with this blade, you get longer and smoother cuts. It can cut up to 8 inches of thickness.
The curved 7 TPI blade is sturdy and has razor-sharp edges. Its handle has a pistol style grip and allows for a comfortable hold. Cutting and sawing with this tool is quite easy and convenient. You also get a tough sheath with it and hold the blade when not in use. It has a loop for hanging the tool.
- Long curved blade for easy cutting and sawing
- There is a 100% money-back guarantee from the manufacturer
- Ergonomic handle with a pistol style grip
- Difficult to put in and pull out of the sheath
This is a sturdy and tough pruning saw which can cut and saw through thick branches quickly. It has a good grip, which lets you work comfortably.
2. EverSaw 8-Inch Pruning Saw
This tool is made with the best materials and is high in its performance. It is a pull-cut saw with adjustable 8 inches SK5 carbon steel blade.
This is a folding saw that is clubbed with a gear lock to prevent any mishaps. The blade entirely fits in the handle, and there are no exposed teeth. It has triple-cut razor-sharp teeth, which are hardened to stay sharp.
The handle is made with thermoplastic ribbed rubber and will not slip from your hands. It is safe to carry for camping trips. When fully extended, it is 17 inches and 9 ½ inches when folded.
- Has an ergonomic and slip-resistant handle
- Can cut a variety of materials
- Made with premium materials
- Blade gets dull very fast if not used carefully
This is a rugged pull-cut saw with some great features. This tool is very comfortable to carry because of its design. A gear lock keeps it from opening unexpectedly.
3. Corona RazorTOOTH Folding Pruning Saw
You get a smooth cutting action with this pruning saw. It has a curved blade with super sharp 3-sided razor teeth. This blade is perfect for chopping branches that are about 5 or 6 inches thick.
The teeth are impulse hardened to make them very strong. The blade is 10 inches in length and can be folded. The best part is that the blade can be replaced easily.
It has an ergonomically designed co-shaped handle. The curved design of the blade and a density of 6 pointed teeth per inch make for quicker and slicker cutting.
- Long-lasting and efficient 3-sided straight razor teeth
- Curved design with easily foldable blade
- Handle is co-molded and has a good grip
- Even after folding some part of the blade is exposed
This is a good option because of its effectiveness and price point. It delivers clean cuts, which are essential to keep any plant or tree healthy.
4. Fiskars 7-Inch PowerTooth Folding Pruning Saw
Fiskars is a well-known brand for gardening tools, and you will not be disappointed after choosing this pruning saw. It is perfect for clean and sharp cuts quickly.
The blade is very sharp and will deliver excellent results. The Power Tooth blade with its triple ground teeth which are very sharp can cut through thick branches faster.
The blade locks in two places to make both over or undercuts easy to control. Its Softgrip touchpoints give a very comfortable grip.
- The saw folds and is easy to store and carry
- Consists of a lifetime warranty
- The 7-inch blade is perfect for a variety of cutting
- The handle is good but may break if dropped on a hard surface.
The handle is good but may break if dropped on a hard surface.
5. Anytime Garden All Purpose Folding Hand Saws
This is a lightweight, yet efficient pruning saw at just 10.6 ounces. It is perfect for carrying to outdoor excursions and is also suitable for use in any garden where regular maintenance is required.
The 8-inch blade has 44 razor-sharp teeth, which can cut through branches very easily. You can replace the blade with other types of blades as well.
Use it for long periods, but you will not get any blisters or bruises on your hands. The design of the blade and its teeth make it easy for the pull-push cutting action.
- Reasonably priced with high efficiency
- The blade can be replaced with other types of blades
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- People used to more massive tools may find it too flimsy.
This is a versatile tool in every way. You can change the blade to use it in different ways. It is lightweight and can be carried easily for camping or other outdoor activities.
6. Silky Professional BIGBOY 2000 Folding Saw XL Teeth
This is a heavy-duty saw meant for bigger projects. Its name is BigBoy, and when you look at the blade, you know why. It is 14 inches in length.
It offers longer reach and stroke with more cutting capacity. For its features, it is not very heavy and weighs 1.25 pounds. This is because of the lightweight aluminum handle.
The curved blade is perfectly balanced with a low-angle curve. It is hard chrome-plated making it very strong and long-lasting. Its cushioned handle is non-slip, two-handed rubberized to provide a comfortable and secure grip.
- Curved blade at 14 inches is a heavy-duty blade
- Can cut both dry and green wood and branches
- Aluminum handle is thick and strong
- Both weight and price are on the higher side
This saw is meant for bigger projects. It can easily cut through thick branches and even trunks. The saw is very efficient and makes cutting easy.
7. Felco 600 Folding Pruning Saw
This is a small saw which home gardeners can easily use. The blade length is 6 inches, and it is made with high-quality steel, which is rust-resistant.
The blades are chrome-plated and deliver smooth cuts. This tool has an excellent design, and its conical blade and teeth geometry do not let any clogging happen. It works with pull-stroke motion and can cut up to a thickness of 4 inches.
The total length is 14 inches when it is fully open. The blade clicks into place and locks for safety with the new locking system.
- Rust and corrosion-resistant
- Unique blade design prevents any clogging
- Automatic locking of the blade prevents any injuries
- It is only meant for small jobs.
This pruning saw is among the best small pruning saws. The unique non-clogging blades make it a good option for many gardeners. Its small size makes it easy to carry for outdoor activities.
8. FLORA GUARD Folding Hand Saw
This pruning saw is perfect for chopping through large and thick tree branches. The triple-cut razor teeth are hardened and stay sharp for smooth and fast action.
The blade is 7.7 inches in length and made of hardened stainless steel. The handles are ergonomically designed. This tool is easy to carry and use.
It comes with 2 stage locking feature, which makes it very safe and prevents any mishaps. Another exciting feature of the tool is that it is available in 3 great colors for a very reasonable price.
- Very affordable and good quality tool
- 2-stage safety lock for more safety
- Available in three colors from
- Blade gets dull after a few uses
This is a perfect tool for cutting medium or large branches with its triple-cut razor teeth. Its handle is very comfortable to hold. Its 7.7-inch stainless steel is hardened and makes cutting easy for you.
9. TABOR TOOLS Folding Saw
This is a lightweight and portable saw which you can throw in your backpack or toolbox and carry anywhere. The blade is 8 inches in length and has a curved design.
You can cut branches with a diameter of 4 inches with this powerful saw. When you fold the blade, it becomes a very compact tool and can easily fit anywhere.
It has a red handle, which makes it easy to find even in a messy toolbox. The handle is rugged and non-slippery. The saw works with backward stroke action and makes good cuts each time.
- Rust and corrosion resistant pruning saw
- Curved blade for deeper and smoother cuts
- Excellent customer service with quick and reliable help
- Blade can bend quite easily
This is a tough saw with some excellent features. Its 8-inch blade designed with a solid handle and a firm grip. The handle is as double as the sheath and comes in a bright red color.
10. Samurai Ichiban 13″ Curved Pruning Saw
This saw is beautifully designed with a 13-inch curved blade, which makes very smooth cuts. The handle also has a curved shape and makes for a unique looking saw.
Its impulse hardened teeth have a tapered grind, which reduces binding and clogging. It is packed with a sturdy sheath that has a belt loop making it easy to hang and store.
Its rubber handle is rugged and has finger grooves for a comfortable and secure hold. It is ergonomically designed with bold and contrasting colors, making it easy to locate.
- The 13-inch blade is super sharp and tough
- Rubberized handle is sturdy and comfortable
- Tough and durable sheath for the tool
- Though the blade is long, it is still challenging to cut thick branches.
This saw has a unique shape and design, which makes it stand out among all pruning saws. The blade is long of about 13 inches, and the teeth have a tapering design to prevent clogging.
Do you have a garden full of trees, shrubs, and plants? A pruning saw is an essential tool that every homeowner must have to maintain a clean look in the garden.
With the information given here, you can choose the best one. Though all the tools listed here are great and have unique features, we think that the Tarvol 14-Inch Heavy Duty Pruning Saw is the best!
It is a strong tool with a sharp curved blade. Its handle has a pistol grip and is very comfortable and safe to use.
Choosing the best saw is not easy, but if you carefully consider all factors, you will have a great tool, and your garden will bloom!