Do you want to know how long blueberries last? Well, it depends on various factors and conditions. You need to know blueberries well to know How Long Do Blueberries Last.
Blueberries are blue heaven of fruits and small in size and shaped oval. Blueberries mainly contain high nutrition and antioxidants, they also help to boost the heart of brain and health along with other health benefits.
One of the highlights of blueberry is they also help to cure cancer with their health beneficial properties. Different types of blueberries are spread all around the world.
Different Methods To Last Your Blueberry Long
How long your blueberry will last depends on many different factors. Condition of storage, the temperature of the storage, condition of the berries and type of berries, these things can you greatly to store the blueberries for long. Blueberries can rot very fast if it is neglected.
You can find a very good type of blueberries at a specific time from the middle of the spring to the end of the summer. Better to choose the fresh berries instead of stored berries kept in the storage.
Also, try to buy organic berries instead of many variations of berries, variations may contain different kinds of harmful pesticides.
Blueberries can increase the taste of many different recipes, you can also eat them raw to taste the sweet flavor. Here are some different methods that you can use to last the blueberries longer.
This is the most common way to store the blueberries that people use. If you store the blueberries properly then the blueberries can last up to 12 days, but you need to take care of many conditions. You can store the blueberries in a wrapper, container, and plastic.
But do not use blueberries in a metal container, it can create many reactions such as a change in color in berries along with different patterns and strains.
You will need to check the blueberries very well before storing them. You need to filter out the soft, broken or rotten blueberries before storing them in the fridge.
Some of the things that you need to keep in mind when storing the blueberries in the refrigerator.
How to Store
You need to know how to store them in the refrigerator properly. Best to store the blueberries is to use a paper towel. The paper towel helps to soak the moisture and also helps the blueberries to last long.
Do not was the berries while storing them, only wash the berries when you are eating them or cooking any recipe with them.
Use A Good Container
You can store the blueberries open but best to store the blueberries in a container. And check the container very well while storing the blueberries.
Do not use the containers that came free with the berries. Buy a container of plastic, ceramic bowl or containers with many small holes. As I mentioned above do not use any metal container even if it has small holes.
The Temperature Of The Refrigerator
When you are using a refrigerator to store your berries be very careful with the temperature. How long the blueberries will last, depends on the cold of the refrigerator.
Do not use the cold part to store them also known as a deep freeze, the temperature there is too cold and it can cause the berries to freeze and strain.
You might find the blueberries turned into a mass of ice if you keep them in there for too long. Avoid the crisper, they do not provide good circulation of cold. The best place to keep the berries is in the vegetable section or middle section of a refrigerator.
If you are not planning to store your blueberries for a longer period. Then you can use a freezer to store them. The freezer can help you store the blueberries starting from 6 months to 1 year.
The freezer is mainly used to freeze the blueberries for later use. Many dishes can use frozen blueberries including bread, smoothies, waffles, and pancakes.
Before using them in these foods you need to rinse the berries to decrease the number of juices while baking. Also, use cold water to rinse them. You can find frozen blueberries in many shops, but you can make them instead of buying them in the shop. Some tips that will help you to make frozen blueberries.
- You need to use a single layer tray to spread all the blueberries. Before spreading the blueberries try to sort out all the debris, leaves, stems, rotten and damaged parts.
- It is very important to separate them while freezing or they might end up sticking all together. A long mass of ice can trouble you to make frozen berries, you can use parchment paper to keep the berries healthy.
- To freeze the blueberries completely it will take nearly two to three hours. Do not remove the tray or open the freezer frequently as it can increase the time of freezing and also decrease the quality of frozen blueberries.
- Once the berries are frozen, remove them from the tray and transfer them into a ziplock bag to keep them in the freezer. Also, you can use resealable bags to transfer the berries into the freezer again to store them for long.
Apart from the freezer and refrigerator, you can also use the oven or dehydrator to freeze the berries. Dried berries are very well known and also used to make different snacks, salad, homemade granola and many more.
To store them perfectly to last long you need to use any jar or a plastic bag, container and keep them away from heat or fireplace.
It is best to store them in any dark area or any dark corner of the room. Dried blueberries last up to 1 year if you can store them perfectly. You can also use the freezer to store the dried blueberries.
If you want to know how to make perfect dried blueberries, here are some steps that can help you.
- Fill a steamer with water till halfway in a medium pot with a vegetable steamer. Boil the water for 30 to 60 seconds and add the blueberries.
- After the blueberries are boiled, remove the streamer and add it in cold water, it will prevent the berries to boil any further. It is necessary to prevent the berries from cracking and air penetrating through the skin. After that place the blueberries in a hot towel to dry completely. It is best if you use a paper towel.
- Preheat the oven at 140°F and place the blueberries in it. Leave the door open five to seven inches. Dry them for four hours and occasionally stir them in the last 30 minutes to dry every part of the blueberries. After 4 hours remove them from the oven and keep them into room temperature. Store them in an airtight container made of plastic, or any other type of air sealed bag.
You can these methods to store the blueberries for long and if you have any questions regarding the whole method, comment below to let us know.