Let’s get real; no one likes rolling up a hose. It is one of the most excruciating tasks.
If you struggle with it too, then this guide on how to roll up a hose on a reel in 4 easy steps is your ultimate friend!
Whether you are watering your plants or cleaning the front yard, a watering hose is required. Next time do not worry about tidying up your hose after using it.
In today’s article, our main concern would be how to roll up a hose on a reel. But before that, I’m going to explain how a hose reel works and the different types of hose reels.
So, if you don’t want any further ado, you can jump straight to your concern:
- How to Roll up a Hose on a Reel | What Is a Hose Reel?
- The Mechanism of a Hose Reel
- Types of Hose Reels
- The Best Type of Hose Reel
- Setting Direction of a Manual Hose Reel
- How to Roll up a Hose on a Reel? A Step-by-Step Guide
- The Aftercare of a Garden Hose
How to Roll up a Hose on a Reel | What Is a Hose Reel?
We all are very familiar with a hose, but a hose reel is something many of us are not customized to. If you like things tidy and pristine, we recommend getting yourself a hose reel.
A hose reel is a tool that helps prevent your hose from getting all tangled up. Though expensive to its matching part, a standard hose reel is worth the money.
Trust us; once you have used a hose reel, you would not want to use a standard messy hose again.
The Mechanism of a Hose Reel
Before getting yourself a hose reel or beginning to understand it, you must understand the tool’s mechanism.
- The hose reel is a hose attached to a wheel.
- Its primary function is to provide quick winding and unwinding of the hose.
A standard hose reel contains the following parts:
- Reel drivers.
- Mounting bracket.
- Reel tires (if the reel is movable).
Once you know about the major parts of the hose reel, you can choose among the many available options.
Types of Hose Reels
A lot of hose reels exist in the market.
Some are expensive and vice versa.
When getting yourself a hose reel, pay attention to your needs and choose from the following types. Since hose reel is a major investment, you do not want to make a wrong decision.
The Best Type of Hose Reel
By looking at the list above, you would have figured out that there are many reels in the market.
However, the best one for you is the one that fits your needs and budget.
If you are a beginner and low on a budget, we recommend investing in a manual hose reel and then working your way upwards from that.
However, box hose reels and moveable hose reels are the best ones to use.
Related Article: 5 Best Retractable Air Hose Reels
Setting Direction of a Manual Hose Reel
If you buy a manual hose reel, it is of utmost importance to set its direction.
- Manual hose reels can be right-handed or left-handed.
- To avoid unnecessary arm pain, we recommend you set it in the direction of your dominant hand.
Now that you are an expert in hose reels, it is time to learn how to roll up a hose on a reel. After all, what’s using all the knowledge if you are not applying it practically.
How to Roll up a Hose on a Reel? A Step-by-Step Guide
Here are the steps on how to roll up a hose on a reel:
Step 1: Switching off the Water Supply
Water sports are a great summer hobby, but you do not want to get wet when rolling up a hose. 😅
So, before you begin the task, switch off the water supply.
Step 2: Disengage Hose Head From Attachment
The hose head is a delicate part of the tool.
- You do not want to get it damaged; hence, it is always good to detach or disengage it from the hose.
- You can use your working hands to finish the job in no time.
Step 3: Straighten Hose Tube
Before rolling up, it is always a good idea to smoothen the hose tubing.
- Doing so would prevent unnecessary knots and mess that it may otherwise cause.
- You can smoothen the tube by rubbing the tube with your palm a few times.
Step 4: Start Rolling up the Hose
If you have a manual reel, get ready to skip that arm day at the gym because rolling up would take a lot of work in that regard.
- Rotate the direction in which your reel is set and keep doing the process until the hose is rolled up.
- In the case of an automatic reel, press the button and enjoy a snack at the side (it’s okay; you can eat it, you’ve earned it after all that hard work with the hose).
The Aftercare of a Garden Hose
If you want to save some money for that fancy abroad vacation, take care of your hose to avoid spending cash on new ones each year.
Follow the steps below to maintain the shape and vitality of your garden hose.
Care Tip 1: Drain Your Hose After Use
After each use, it is good to drain your hose; you can drain by placing your hose vertically on an object like a stand.
Doing so would prevent mold and algae from forming inside the hose and prolong your tool’s life.
Care Tip 2: Do Not Drag the Hose By the Nozzle
- Never drag the hose by the nozzle.
- The nozzle is the most delicate part of a hose; dragging by it can cause the nozzle to break or, worse, come off.
- We recommend you take the nozzle off of the hose when maneuvering it.
Care Tip 3: Avoid Direct Sunlight
No one likes sunburn; the same goes for your hose.
Most hoses in the market are made of plastic that can degrade in the sun’s powerful rays.
After using your hose, either store it in your garden shed or anywhere where it is protected from direct sunlight.
Care Tip 4: Repair Leaks Frequently
The hose can go through punctures and leaks frequently.
To avoid the puncture or leak becoming worse, repair it frequently. We recommend that you use rubber glue or stamps to repair your hose.
Care Tip 5: Replace the Washer
- The washer refers to a ring made up of metal or plastic.
- Its purpose is to form a tight seal to prevent leaks.
- Every season before using your hose, replace the washer to maintain the tight seal.
- You can quickly get a washer from your local hardware store or online.
Care Tip 6: Invest in a Hose Guard
A hose guard is a simple tool that can add years to the life of your hose.
It protects the hose from abrasion, thereby protecting it. You can easily get your hands on it from any local store or online.
That was all about how to roll up a hose on a reel.
If you want further clarification on the process, then take a look at the following video:
Let’s jump to the conclusion.
Due to its versatility, the hose is an integral part of every household.
On the other hand, the hose reel is a valuable addition to your tools but can be intimidating to use, especially to a beginner. If you are looking for guidance on hose reels, look no further.
This guide on how to roll up a hose on a reel in 4 easy steps is your ultimate solution to all hose reels related questions. So, grab your reel and roll that hose up.
If you like this article, let us know in the comments below. We would love to interact with you.