Who wants their lawn to be filled with pests, grubs and bugs and ruin the beauty of their lawn and also ruin the plants in there? Nobody, I can think of. Lawns and gardens are a very important part of keeping a house well-maintained and aesthetic.
A good and well kept lawn will make or break the look of your entire house and thus it is of utmost necessity that you keep your green land prim and proper and also keep pests at bay so that the garden is not only beautiful to look at but also healthy from the inside.
- What Is the Need For Grub Killers?
- How to Choose the Right Grub Killer?
- Top 5 Best Grub Killer for Lawns
What Is the Need For Grub Killers?
Grubs can create a lot of problems in your garden, be it spoiling the aesthetics or deteriorating the health of your plants and grass. It also spread from the soil to your pets which can prove extremely difficult to tackle.
Although a small number of grub may not be very damaging, but it is important to prevent and control a large grub infestation. Thus, to contain this infestation or to prevent it from happening in the first place, choosing a useful and effective grub killer is very important.
Since grub infestation is a common problem for people each year, it is recommended that the use of grub killers be done on an annual basis.
Preventing grub infestation and eliminating or eradicating an already infested lawn are two very different things that have highly variable costs. The costs of the former may easily be only half of the latter, hence we know which path we want to choose.
Using a grub killer is not very difficult. You only need to mix it with water or use it bare, as suggested by the brand and type, followed by sprinkling it in the lawn for a complete cycle.
Due to the various options available in the market, it may be a little difficult to choose the most suitable grub killer, which is why I will make it slightly easier for you to by weighing the pros and cons of each.
How to Choose the Right Grub Killer?
Choosing the right type of grub killer can be a difficult task, especially when the market has an array of options and a blizzard of features kept in front of you, to choose from.
Thus, it is very important for you to be clear regarding your requirements before buying a suitable grub killer. Before making any kind of purchase, it is important to be certain that the problem in your lawn is being caused because of grubs.
It may so happen that you take preventive measures or eradication measures related to elimination of grubs, but the problem, in actuality, is something else.
Before you make your purchase, it is important that you recognize if that particular grub killer is suitable for the size of your land. Some grub killers may say that they are suitable for a land size of 10,000 sq. ft but may actually turn out to be able to cover only half.
Due to this, it is crucial that you also read multiple reviews and watch tutorials for the product to help you make a better and sound choice.
Top 5 Best Grub Killer for Lawns
We will now be looking at some grub killers and pest killers for your lawns that will work best to kill those pesky insects at bay and save your lawn, and the plants it has, the misery of being unhealthy, rotten and unattractive.
The products that are mentioned below will have a short summary of what they are and some of their features and characteristics, some of them including price and weight.
They will also have a list of pros and cons of that particular product so that buyers can immediately weigh the pros and cons before buying the product that fit in their liking category and suit their requirement as the perfect grub killer. So let us jump on to the list of the top 5 best grub killer for lawns.
1. Sevin Insect Killer Lawn Granules
The Sevin Insect Killer Lawn Granules are known to effectively kill more than 100 known fleas, ticks, ants, pests, insects and grubs. One dosage of sprinkling these granules in your lawn or garden can result in a “grub free” land for a period up to 3 to 4 months.
There are many insects that cause your lawns to grow thin or become brown because of rotting by pests and grubs. This can be very damaging and harmful to the soil and the land quality, in the long run also causing the land to get barren at times.
The lawn granules protect your lawn from such damage causing insects and pests so that the quality of the land does not deteriorate and remains a fruitful place to grow plants, fruits and vegetables.
These granules also act as a protective layer for your land to get grubs at bay during all seasons and weathers. The grub insect killer granules need to be watered in the field.
Make sure you are wearing gloves while using this product. The packet weighs 25 pounds and is priced very reasonably at $24.99.
- This grub killer is your one stop solution for killing or getting rid of hundreds of different types of insects and bugs. You will not need to buy multiple insect killers for your lawn, since this will do the job for all of them put together.
- Sprinkling a little bit of this product will go a long way for your lawn, and it will work even better if your lawn is relatively small in size.
- The packet mentions how the Sevin Insect Killer Grub Granules packet covers a land area of about 10,000 sq. ft. to treat grubs and pests, however this is not true. It can only cover about 3/4th of that area.
2. BONIDE Products – Annual Grub Killer
The BONIDE annual grub killer is an 18 pound heavy grub killer packet container and pest killer which is known to cover about 15,000 sq. ft. of land when it is used to eliminate grubs and other pests off of your lawn.
It is a perennial grub killer which means that it works well and equally effectively in all seasons and weathers, irrespective of the location.
It works well for nearly all kinds of damage causing grub which definitely deserves a big thumbs up. Since the effect of this grub killer lasts you a few months, its action also lasts across different weather and climatic conditions in your lawn or garden.
The best way for unparalleled effectiveness of this grub killer is to use it on your land is in late May through the middle of August.
- This grub killer requires only one application throughout one season
- It prevents the slightest of damage after application over the entire land space
- It instantly stops feeding activity and progresses to kill the grubs quickly
- It does not affect newly grown plants or grass in any way
- It does not act as a cure for the grass or the land which has already turned brown because of grubs’ infestation.
- This product is slightly overpriced in comparison to other grub killers, at $48
3. BAYER Advanced 24 hour Grub Killer Plus – Grub Control
The BAYER advanced 24 hour Grub Control contains a chemical called DYLOX that is known to eliminate pesky insects and grubs within a maximum period of 24 hours.
It kills about 50 different types of grubs, including crickets, scorpions and ticks. The BAYER Grub Control comes in a packet which weighs 20 pounds, which is a good quantity, but the price pertaining to the quantity is very steep and not worth the amount you get in the packet.
- Eliminates grub worms within a few hours
- Very frequent sprinkling is not required – the usage can be limited to only once in 6 months
- It keeps raccoons at bay as well
- It has a very hefty price as per its quality and quantity, of $222 which is definitely not worth it
- It is only available on the amazon website and nowhere in physical stores across the country.
4. Sevin Ready to Use Insect Killer – 5% Dust
The Sevin Ready to Use Insect Killer is made up of 5% dust particles and is known to effectively kill over 65 species of common garden insects and pests.
This grub killer is suitable to be used on your home kitchen garden, vegetables, fruits, lawns and garden yards. To use it, you need to shake a small quantity of the product upon your plants. You do not require to mix it with water or any other liquid.
Moreover, it is also known to kill insects like the Japanese Beetle, which are not very easy to terminate. It is available in a 1 pound bottled container and costs $12.33.
- Less is more – you do not need to use the entire bottle for good results. Even a little amount of product will certainly go a long way.
- It delivers its magical effect within a day of usage and prevents further pests with an immediate effect.
- It is highly economically effective thus, you only to use it a few times (maximum 6 times) to give your lawn a fully healthy effect.
- This product does not have any effect killing effect on whiteflies
- It does not have very high concentration
- It kills bees, which is very unhealthy for the human population since bees are a required and necessary part of a healthy ecosystem
5. Scotts Grub Ex Grub Killer and Preventer
Priced at $42.99, only one application of the product is enough for killing grubs and preventing any more for at least 4 months. The application of the product should be done in the early summer time period.
The product will also aid you in preventing any further damage, by insects and grubs, to the roots of the grass of your lawn and also the roots of the plants to ensure that you have a much healthier, stronger and resilient lawn.
It prevents the maturation of the grub by killing them in the conception stage or in a relatively earlier stage. It is widely used because it is known to kill 25% more grubs and insects versus the regular grub killers. The packet weighs 28.7 pounds.
- Using this product in the summer prevents any grub growth and does not let it grow in the first place.
- It removes moles by eliminating their food source and does not kill them.
- No visible cons seen or addressed so far
These 5 products that have been mentioned above were the top choices of the best grub killer for lawns and all 5 have been known to work extremely well in preventing as well as curing the infestation of insects, pests and grubs off of your lawn or kitchen garden.
All of them mostly have the same characteristics and features of how they work, but I have a personal favorite which is the Scotts Grub Ex Grub Killer and Preventer.
The price of this product is pretty affordable owing to its size and quantity. It has been known to reduce and prevent the growth of grub and pests for a time as long as 4 months, which is commendable, considering that some places do not have a supporting weather.
You can use this guide as a Bible when you wish to purchase a grub killer since it contains the disparity between the pros and cons of each product. Happy Shopping!