Weed and Feed
Do you want your lawn to look lush and perfectly manicured? When I moved to my new home, having the perfect lawn was on top of my list. However, despite all my efforts, the results remained disappointing.
A neighbor suggested that I use weed & feed products to help control the weeds and, at the same time, strengthen the grass. I immediately got the product and was ready to use it when my neighbor stopped me.
He told me that there was a chance of heavy rains in the next couple of days, and using weed and feed before rain will be of no use.
What Is Weed & Feed?
Most weed and feed products are sold in granule forms and have two components. The ‘weed’ portion will consist of any herbicides that target dandelions, dollarweed, and various green leafy weeds.
It is also available in liquid form and can be applied with a foam sprayer. The granules and liquid both sit on the weed leaves but slide off the grass blades. This is why they do not affect the grass and only kill the weeds.
The ‘feed’ part of the chemical combines nitrogen, phosphorus, as well as potassium to make your lawn lush and green. The exact composition may vary from brand to brand.
Some products may also contain a feature for timed release of nitrogen.
The Right Time to Apply Weed and Feed
Some moisture is indeed necessary for phosphorus and nitrogen to be absorbed in the soil. However, it is essential to know that excess moisture can easily wash away the fertilizers.
This is the main reason why you should not apply weed and feed before it rains.
- Weed and feed products are more effective when weeds are growing actively.
- Choose a time when you don’t expect rain in the next 2-3 days
- This allows the chemicals to be absorbed into the leaves.
- If it rains immediately after applying, wait for 4-6 days before reapplying.
- Immediate re-application may scorch the grass
- Weed & Feed stops seed germination, thus you must hold planting fresh grass or aerating the lawn for minimum of four weeks.
How to Apply Weed and Feed Before Rain?
Before you get down to applying the weed and feed, you must do some preparatory work. The most important things are to:
- Check the weather forecast for rain
- Trim the lawn and keep the length of grass between 3 and 5 inches
- Wait for 2 or 3 days after mowing before using weed and feed. This will protect the grass, and the weeds will start growing actively
- After applying, do not water the lawn for at least 2 to 4 days
- Follow the instructions thoroughly and use only the quantity mentioned. Too much of the product can burn the lawn
- Using weed and feed twice a year is sufficient.
- Spread the product evenly for better results.
- A 1000 square feet of your lawn will require 3 to 4 pounds of the product, approximately.
Apply the Weed and Feed Before and After the Rain
Applying weed and seed requires correct timing. Do you intend to use the weed and feed before the rainfall starts?
If you check the specific product packaging instructions, you may find that it is possible to apply it one or two days before receiving rain. However, if you are just a day or a few hours away from the predicted rainfall, then you should wait it out. Wait for the grass to dry before applying the weed and feed.
If you decide to apply the weed and feed after the rains, then it is recommended that you wait for the grass blades to dry completely.
At the same time, the soil should have sufficient moisture. If there are strong winds after the rain has stopped, then you must wait for it to stop. Such winds can spread the weed and feed to other areas, plants, and flowers, where you don’t want it to go.
Watch this video for more information.
If you apply weed and feed before the rain, you risk wasting it. Moreover, it can harm the environment, as well.
The runoff can reach the rivers, lakes, etc., and result in reduced oxygen levels, which can damage the fishes and other aquatic animals. Apart from this, it would be best if you also took some personal safety precautions
- Observe standard safety precautions when applying the weed and feed
- Cover your arms and legs with a long-sleeved shirt and pants, as well as wear gloves while using the weed and feed
- Wear safety glasses to protect your eyes
Applying More of Weed and Feed
One reason people don’t want to use weed and feed as it has a negative impact and can cause damage to the environment. Its runoff can reach underground water and other waterways.
This, in turn, can make algae grow rapidly in lakes and streams and cover the water. This reduces the supply of oxygen apart from making the water toxic for the fishes and other organisms.
Some people think that applying more of this product than the recommended amount can ensure that some quantity of the product remains in the soil even after the rains.
However, this is a bad idea and can have harmful effects on your lawn. Instead, here are some other excellent products, which you can use.
Right timing is crucial when it comes to applying weed and feed. If the rain starts only after 2 or 3 days of application, it gives the nutrients to be well absorbed by the plants and soil.
These chemicals are harsh and harmful and could severely impact the soil, lawn, and the environment if not applied correctly.
The best thing to do would be to wait for the rains, and after a couple of days, the grass is dry, using weed and feed. If you find this information useful, then feel free to share it with others.
Contact us if you have any suggestions or questions. Weed and feed is a wonderful option when used in the right way and at the right time.