Milorganite is a well-known fertilizer that can be successfully used on residential lawns or other lawns like golf courses. Many believe that this is the best lawn care product you can find today.
In addition, it is a safe organic product. Typically, it is not the new fertilizer, which has been released in the market; instead, it is a niche for older products. This fertilizer is found from wastewater collected at the facility of Jones Island reclamation.
The water is purified and filtered so that it is free from harmful microbes and debris. Then it is treated using different substances known as binding agents. Because of these agents, microbes are grouped separately to allow pure water to be separated.
As soon as the water separates from the solid material, it is treated further. After the well-organized process, the solid material is turned into organic fertilizer.
The product is tested before released to meet the required quality standards and does not pose a risk to the environment or the users.
When To Use Milorganite?
The best time to use Milorganite is when the temperature of the soil is between 55 and 85°F with sufficient soil moisture.
This is when microbes break down organic nutrients and place them in the ground for consumption. It is recommended that Milorganite be used not more than four times a year.
Here are the best situations to use Milorganite on your lawn.
- If the plants look colorless, dull, and bent, use this fertilizer to top up the lost nutrients.
- Typically, it is accepted and known that as plants and herbs grow, the soil absorbs more nutrients to aid the growth process.
- However, it does not matter if the soil is new or has high quality, but it has to happen. Over time, the soil loses fertility and requires more nutrition, obtained from the nutrients from Milorganite.
- During overseeding, Milorganite should be applied to accelerate plant growth and improve quality.
- Fall needs to be the best time to sow because seeds germinate faster in warm soils.
- During the colder periods, the plants continue growing to nourish the fresh nutrients that the fertilizer brings to the ground.
- In the United States, it is advisable to build the application timeline in the entire country to find time, and remember it doesn’t become a strenuous job.
- Tall fescue is the cool-season herb, and Milorganite should be used close to July 4th, around Thanksgiving or Labor Day.
- During St. Augustine, the warm-season grass, use Milorganite in early Memorial Day or October.
- If you use this fertilizer on your lawn in cool weather, do it at regular intervals four times a year.
- The correct dates to use Milorganite can be Independence Day, Labor Day, Memorial Day, and Halloween.
- Remember to plan the last Milorganite coating at least one week before the frost hits the area or the first blizzard.
- This is the unique and effective process called Dormancy feeding because the grass stores nutrients in the winter and then released in the spring.
- This is because heat and moisture force nutrients to spread across the lawn and cause the greening phase to explode.
- Some cool weather grasses, which follow this fertilization schedule are Perennial Ryegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, and Fescue.
- In warm weather, lawns also need to go through four coatings of Milorganite, which are designed for strategic dates in the year.
- Generally, the most suitable time would be Easter, the first phases of October, and Memorial Day.
- Some of the plants, which can benefit from Milorganite include Bahia, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede Grass, and Bermuda.
- Milorganite must be used at least two months before the severe frost hits the region, as plants and grasses in warm weather do not have the best relationship with fertilization at the end of the season.
- This is due to the slow-release nature of Milorganite.
- There is a time for fertilizer to spread because biosolid takes time to disintegrate through organic microbes.
- Grass in the southern part must first analyze your needs, examine the temperature and land around, and then use Milorganite two or three times a year.
- When the early spring weeds are premature, this fertilizer should be used the first time in a year.
- Since you don’t expect the weeds to fall or wash them off, you’re giving them the nutrients. Typically, this would fail if you do the second coating in the middle of August.
How Long Does It Take for Milorganite To Work?
Based on many users and reviews of the existing products, Milorganite can start showing results after just a week.
With the correct application and compliance to the environmental conditions, the first effective signs of this fertilizer appear in the color of the grass. It gets more robust, and the grass looks healthier as it starts to grow.
After 14 days, you will be happy to see the lawn growing significantly. In three weeks, there will be no doubt about the results of Milorganite.
If you do not see anything, it looks like something is not adding up, and the fertilizer was not used correctly or had the wrong timing.
Regardless of whether you use this fertilizer for warm or cool-season grass, it usually takes about two and a half months. After this time, you will need to reapply to Milorganite.
Another thing which may interest you is the smell of this product. Like all other organic varieties, Milorganite can leave a strong odor.
However, it is assumed that this will take up to two weeks. Given that the weather is warm enough, it might take a little longer.
Milorganite is the most dependable organic fertilizer you can use on your lawn. These tips are paramount if you are planning to use this fertilizer in the garden.
How to use Milorganite
Water your lawn for 2 to 3 days before you use Milorganite. The soil is supposed to be moist, though the grass blades may be dry.
Place the spreader on the hard surface, like a driveway or sidewalk, instead of grass; when you want to add fertilizer to the hopper, make sure the openings are closed and then add a required amount of Milorganite.
Move the spreader to an edge of the grass, open the funnel and quickly cross the lawn’s width. This creates the header strip, which is used to rotate the lawn’s length during fertilization.
Close the hopper, go to the other end of the grass, and make a new strip. From there, quickly cross the lawn’s length with a funnel being opened, closing it if you reach a header strip and turn around.
After fertilization, add a 1-inch of water to the lawn and rinse the Milorganite granules from the blade of grass.
Best Milorganite Products
1. Milorganite Organic Nitrogen 0636 Fertilizer
If you are looking for a fertilizer that can help to promote the growth of thick, highly, and lush green grass, then go for this product from Milorganite.
It has been used for many years when transplanting and planting trees and shrubs. Equally important, it can be the best choice for you because it contains 4% iron, which can add to the deeper green color of the grass.
The NPK is 5-2-0, which means it does not contain potassium; hence you can avoid using it in areas with regular droughts.
This product is good because it can help promote the healthy growth of trees, shrubs, flowers, and lawns. There is non-burning nitrogen, which can feed for about ten weeks and has iron to deliver long-lasting green.
Likewise, it comes with a slow-release formula that can help to conserve water and reduce mowing. Its slow-release feature makes the nutrients be released slowly so that shrubs and trees are not forced to produce new growth rapidly.
Also, it has a coverage area of 2,500 sq ft, a package weight of 32 lbs, and a product dimension of 27 x 16 x 4 inches.
2. Scotts Green Max Iron Supplement Lawn Fertilizer
Do you want a deeper greening within three days for the greener grass? Go for this product because it ensures amazing results when feeding to the plants.
I really appreciate the dual-action and 2-in-1 formula fed and supplemented with iron to ensure outstanding growth. It contains 5.17% iron, the essential micro-nutrient, enhancing the greening process and the fast results.
Similarly, every granule is about 100% nutrition that can mean the lawn will get all the food needed and no filler.
It is specially formulated without staining driveways, concrete, or other grass surfaces when used directly. The advantage of this product is that you can use any grass in the summer, spring, and fall months.
Regular feedings can help the grasses look the best and offer the nutrients they need to endure the stresses of weather, activity, and weeds.
Besides, it is safe for use around the children and pets who may be permitted to stroll on the grass immediately after application. What is more, it can ensure fast growth.
Milorganite is the crucial organic fertilizer, safe to use, and essential for retaining nutrients in the lawn. It can be used at different times of the year, which only depends on the grass used.
There is a need for multiple usages because grass needs a continuous boost for healthy growth. To take advantage of this fertilizer, you are supposed to use it about four times in one year, closely every three months. Using it can start at different times, like for warm-season grass and cool-season grass.