If you can get your hand on it, a Japanese maple tree will surely mesmerize the people and urge them to turn their heads toward your garden.
The striking deep red color that changes into burnt orange and all the lovely colors it displays make the Japanese maple tree a sight to behold.
However, these gorgeous trees are rare and difficult to come by.
Moreover, if you find them somewhere, you will probably have to spend a fortune to bring them home because Japanese maple trees are expensive. This begs the question, why are Japanese maples so expensive?
Here’s all you need to know about the sky-high popularity and prices of Japanese maples.
The Japanese maple tree originates from Japan, but some members were also spotted in Korea, China, and a few other Asian countries.
- Since they were mainly grown in the countryside lands of Japan, these trees came to be known as Japanese maple trees.
- Several varieties of these trees exist in the world.
- While Japanese maples grow to a range of 10–25 feet, some varieties grow even taller.
- Some Japanese maples have controlled growth and only grow as tall as a shrub.
- The slow-growing varieties can be planted in a pot or a small, compact space. The plant grows slowly, so it will do fine in a small space during initial growth.
- The leaves of Japanese maple come in different hues. The most popular one you will see everywhere is deep red with hints of orange.
- A great thing about these trees is that they are very versatile when it comes to the location of their growth. You can grow them in bright sunlight and a place with full shade. In fact, these trees are more comfortable in shaded areas.
- Most of the time, you won’t have to worry about pests attacking the tree or plant diseases as they don’t have these issues as much as other plants.
- You can plant them in your garden outside or even in a container.
All these unique qualities and beauty have taken the popularity of Japanese maples to another level. The fact that they are exceptional and rare can answer why are Japanese maples so expensive.
Related article: 5 Best Japanese Indoor Plants
There are several reasons why are Japanese maples so expensive.
The main reason behind it is that gardeners and grafters must spend a lot of time, effort, money, and raw materials to grow one Japanese maple tree.
It takes dedicated effort to bring one of these beauties to life and grow it into a strong tree.
That is why the Japanese maple trees are not for everyone, no matter how beautiful they are.
To add to this hard work, consider that it takes a long time for these trees to grow into full trees. So, it is not just a one-time project where you can plant the tree, water it sometimes, and forget about it.
Another reason for the high prices of Japanese maple trees is that they require constant and careful attention.
While they can grow in varying conditions and are pretty versatile, these maple trees have their demands and need to be fulfilled.
The Japanese maples are also not very versatile in terms of climate conditions. So, it is hard to grow them in places other than some Asian countries and a few other places.
This decorative tree is not just exceptionally gorgeous but also has many benefits. For example, the leaves of this tree are known to be good for the liver.
The uses and physical attributes have increased the demand for these plants in the past few years.
The skyrocketing demand and low supply are also one of the reasons that this tree is so expensive.
The Japanese maple trees are now grown in some parts of England as well, but they are still best known for their home in Japan, China, Korea, and other Asian countries.
The tree is best suited for growth in temperate and warm climates.
The color of the leaves of the Japanese maples differs from one place to another.
The growth structure and appearance of this tree also depend on how it is grown as people cultivate this plant in unique ways.
No matter the place, harsh winters, and cold temperatures are unsuitable for growing Japanese maples. They have to be protected from frosts and winter winds.
These trees grow at a slow pace.
For best growth, plant the tree in soil with good drainage and away from the cold weather.
A Japanese maple tree has multiple uses.
- The tree’s bark is used in making musical instruments and other wood products.
- The leaves are frequently used in making paper. The paper produced from this tree has one of the finest qualities.
- The maple leaves are also tied to the base of other plants, like apples and a few other fruits, to keep them safe for prolonged periods.
- The beautiful leaves are no stranger to being added to the bouquets.
- Animals and wildlife also feed on the Japanese maple tree.
- The branches from this tree have beneficial properties as it has been used to help in improving vision and other eye problems. It has also been used in issues related to the liver.
With that said, let’s move toward the conclusion.
Japanese maple is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful sights you will see.
It is big, bright, and stunning!
The tree looks the best when the leaves are in full bloom and show all colors. Given how exquisite and breathtaking the tree is, it is no surprise that the plant is so expensive.
Every gardening enthusiast has this tree at the top of the “most wanted” list.
If you want this tree for your garden, make sure you are prepared to dedicate your time and effort to it.
Hope this answers your question, why are Japanese maples so expensive? If you have any questions regarding Japanese maples, share them with us!