There is a need for a lot of endurance, persistence and patience when a person is planting and growing plants or trees. Even a small garden which may be filled with shrubs requires a lot of hard work and continuity to it.
Although skills like gardening may not always be the first criteria to start these on a small scale, there is a dire need for tools and products which are proven to work for what you plan to do with your plant.
The process of planting and growing plants over the months, or even years, is very variable and depends highly on the type of plant it is. It also heavily depends on the climatic conditions and the weather around the vicinity of the place where you intend to grow the plant.
Thus, researching the requirements of a particular plant and its various components and needs is a pivotal part of each and every variety and species. Here, we will discuss the best fertilizer for citrus trees and what all measures need to be taken for their upkeep.
- What Do You Need for Citrus Fruits?
- Types of Fertilizers for Citrus Plants
- How to Choose A Fertilizer?
- Steps for Ensuring the Use of The Best Pesticides
- 5 Best Fertilizer for Citrus Trees
- 1. Miracle Gro Citrus Shake and Feed Plant Food
- 2. RJ Peters Inc. Classic Citrus Food Fertilizer
- 3. Jobe’s Organics Fruit and Citrus Fertilizer Spikes
- 4. Southern Citrus Nutritional Spray
- 5. Espoma Citrus-tone Plant Food
What Do You Need for Citrus Fruits?
If we consider citrus fruits, it is essential for us to look for the trees that best suit the planter’s preferences and requirements as well as the plant’s and the fruit’s.
It is imperative that the planter is aware of how to correctly plant the seeds and follow through with the other processes and procedures of growing the fruit.
Fertilizers are of course an important part of growing a plant and they depend highly on the type of plant we are looking at. A pesticide that is suitable for one type of plant may not be suitable for another.
Thus, looking at and analyzing the plant and the respective parallel pesticide is equally important if not more. The plant falls under the risk of wilting and subsequently dying if not managed with proper use, or if it is not taken care of as per its inherent needs and requirements.
Types of Fertilizers for Citrus Plants
There are various kinds of citrus plants that you may find. These varieties are inclusive of oranges, limes, grapefruits, lemons, etc.
Depending on the species of these plants, they blossom and also produce their respective yield at different times of the year and different stages of their life, throughout the period of one agricultural year.
As someone who takes a keen interest in planting or someone who has the required expertise to understand this, it is important to consider the essentiality of understanding when their plants mature and which time is appropriate and the best to sow them so that the yield you get is exemplary and of the best kind.
Since each plant has a different time of maturity and varying times for plantation, it is important to remember these as per their species so that there is no wrong estimate.
The climate which suits plants is different as per their type and their species. Some of the plants can be comfortably grown in a house and are known as domestic plants. A popular and valid example of a domestic citrus tree is the Kaffir lime tree.
This tree is an exemption to NOT being a domestic citrus tree since most of these types of trees and plants grow to such a large height and width that it is not possible for owners to keep them indoors and they have to be planted in a garden or a place which can provide them with more open space.
It is only possible to keep these trees and plants indoors while they are still smaller in size and have not reached their stage of maturity. However, after this period starts to pass away, keeping them indoors does not remain an option.
How to Choose A Fertilizer?
We may have a long list of citrus plants and trees, but we must also acknowledge the presence of so many more variants that are available within them. Here is an example to understand this in more depth.
A tree bearing oranges is also capable of producing other variants of the fruit such as blood orange, navel orange, mandarin orange, etc.
There is also a long list of these variants that you can choose from. When we talk about fertilizers for these particular variants, we need to be sure of what type of fertilizer we purchase for these specific plants.
This is because we need to be sure that the fertilizer suits the plant well and does not ruin the yield. A fertilizer makes or breaks an entire batch of yield and also the land on which the plant has been grown.
Thus, it is important to be careful with the usages of the fertilizer and their respective types. If you find a fertilizer which claims to work effectively on all types of citrus trees, this solves more than half the problem since now you can use this fertilizer for any or every citrus plant without thinking.
This judicious exercise saves a lot of time and money, which are two of the most important resources.
There are multiple options available when it comes to fertilizers. Since a lot of these chemicals suck out the healthy nutrients from within the plant, many people have also started using spikes which ensure that the nutrients and the additional value of the plant must be intact and safe within it.
The market also has made available various types of mixtures and sprays that not only keep the nutrition intact but also provide additional benefits. Organic mixtures and other traditional usages are also a good option that can be used in the place of pesticides.
Steps for Ensuring the Use of The Best Pesticides
There are various steps to be sure that the fertilizer you use is the best for the citrus trees you own or want to own.
The first step is to see which fertilizer is best suited and if it is specifically designed to spray upon citrus plants of your liking. It is a better idea to choose an array of fertilizers that suit the nature of your plant. It is only after that that you must choose the best one.
Keeping multiple options handy is always the wiser thing to do. Using sprays is the best option if what you want is the longevity of the effect of the pesticide in each plant.
On the other hand, using spikes on your pesticide is a very good option if you are a busy person who may not always have the time to keep spraying in and around each single plant. It saves a lot more time and also ensures that there is special attention paid to each plant just the way that it needs.
5 Best Fertilizer for Citrus Trees
1. Miracle Gro Citrus Shake and Feed Plant Food
This comes in a 4.5 pound jar and is a continuously released plant supplement. This means that once you shake and pour the fertilizer onto a plant, it will continue to feed it for a long time.
Thanks to this, your plant is fed for up to a period of 3 months and it is ensured that the plant is not starved or overfed. This fertilizer can be used on grown citrus plants and also the seeds of it which have just been sown.
There are higher contents of magnesium, iron and potassium in this than other regular fertilizers since citrus fruits require more of these in quantity.
- Continuous feeding for months by the virtue of its released plant supplement
- Ensures a healthy balance between overfeeding and starving the plant
- Higher counts of magnesium, iron and potassium
- When used with citrus, this plant food can result in the sudden dropping of the plant
- You cannot scoop out the soil with any tool since the instruction manual clearly states that the product cannot be mixed
2. RJ Peters Inc. Classic Citrus Food Fertilizer
This comes in a 1 pound jar and is specifically designed to provide the plants with the optimum and exact usage of nutrients so that nothing more is required. This works very well on fruits like lemons, limes, grapefruits and mangoes.
It is beneficial to produce much stronger leaves and branches than usual. Also, the produce of the fruit is more.
- Provides optimum usage to plants for nutrients
- Strengthens plant leaves and stems
- Produces more fruit
- It is not suitable for dry and sunny weather and within a condominium unit
- It is either a hit or a miss and may not always work well. If it does not work well, it can result in very poor or no yield of the fruit.
3. Jobe’s Organics Fruit and Citrus Fertilizer Spikes
These spikes are way more nutritious than sprays because there is no mixing required when these are used. This makes the fruit supplement totally unadulterated, making it more efficient when used with organic citrus fruits.
The purchase of these is also more economically beneficial since you get 6 spikes in one packet, but there is a discount when you buy 3 to 4 more packets. The fertilizer is available in packets of 1.5 pounds, 4 pounds, 6 pounds and 8 pounds.
- Contains spikes which are more effective than sprays since there is less mixing of the supplements
- Totally unadulterated material containing only fruit supplement which makes it the most ideal supplement to be used with citrus fruits that are organic
- Discounted price when bought in multiple packs
- The smell attracts dogs and other animals which is a big downside.
- If ingested by mistake by humans or dogs, it can cause severe vomiting. Since it is an unadulterated mixture, the ingredients prove to be more potent than usual, causing these problems
4. Southern Citrus Nutritional Spray
This also comes in a 10 ounce bottle and is specifically designed to prevent the leaves of your plant from getting wilted and yellow. It also cures the yellowness which is caused by any disease that may have hit your plant.
- Prevents wilting of plants and their respective leaves too
- Prevents prospective yellowness and cures current yellowness caused by a disease or a plant infection
- It is a tedious task to use this since it has to be mixed regularly
5. Espoma Citrus-tone Plant Food
This particular plant food comes in a 4 pound bottle. It is specifically made for organic farming and contains thousands of microbes along with all-natural ingredients which ensure that the plant remains healthy.
It enhances the flavor of the fruit, but you need to use it over your fruit more often to get optimum results.
- Suited for organic farming, containing thousand of microbial properties
- Natural ingredients to ensure the health of the plant at all times
- Enhances flavor of the fruit if used regularly
- Smells pungent and has a very strong smell
- Many reviews stated that the plants started developing mold that would increase with time
Everyone wants to live healthy, be it a human or a plant, and everybody also wants to do their best they can to ensure that they remain so. With humans, it is like going for regular check-ups to the hospital but plants can’t do that. Here are the times when fertilizers come to their rescue.
Fertilizers are the one stop solution to healthy trees and their surrounding since they are the ones which keep pests at bay.
So next time you want to grow a lush plantation in your backyard, do research well and choose from the fertilizers available to make your garden one of a kind! My recommended fertilizer is Southern Citrus Nutritional Spray as it prevents wilting and yellowness of citrus plants.