What Is A Brush Cutter?
All your gardening efforts go to waste when your garden still looks unkempt!! Sometimes, it is the grass that grows inconsistently, and sometimes it is your plants that have unruly growth.
At this stage a brush cutter can be used in gardening for the upkeep of lawn or yard. It can also be utilized to do several things like taking care of excess grass, removing weeds, maintaining trees, and take care of any unruly foliage. You can even use the best brush cutters to shape a tree or bush in your garden.
It has a cutting head, a shaft, and a power unit. Brush cutters have a long shaft or handle, which makes it easy to reach difficult areas. Many of these come with several attachments and are multipurpose.
It looks like a string trimmer, but instead of trimming line, there is a steel blade to cut through thick grass, weeds, and wood. You can use it to cut small branches, stubs, and even small plants or trees.
- What Is A Brush Cutter?
- Do You Require A Brush Cutter?
- Are They Expensive?
- What Features Do You Want In A Brush Cutter?
- How Can We Use A Brush Cutter?
- How Can You Sharpen a Brush Cutter Blade?
- Best Brush Cutter for Stubborn Brush
- 1.Makita 4-Stroke Brush Cutter
- 2. Husqvarna 128LD Gas String Trimmer
- 3. LiTHELi 40V Cordless Grass Trimmer
- 4. PROYAMA Powerful 42.7cc 5 in 1 Multifunctional Trimming Tools
- 5. TrimmerPlus BC720 Brushcutter
- 6. Ryobi RY4CCS Curved Shaft Gas Trimmer
- 7. Greenworks Cordless String Trimmer
- 8. Poulan Pro PP28LD SureFire String Trimmer
- 9. Remington RM2700 Ranchero Brushcutter
- 10. Troy-Bilt TB42 BC Gas Brushcutter
Do You Require A Brush Cutter?
You should have a brush cutter if you have an overrun or ill-maintained garden. Owning a brush cutter will ease the difficulty of maintaining a garden or yard.
Even with regular lawn mowing and weeding, there are some things you may overlook or are not able to handle with the mower.
A brush cutter will smoothly cut through stubborn weeds, dense foliage, and eradicate weeds from hard to reach places. They have a motor and runs either on battery power or gas.
Are They Expensive?
Like any other tool, they come in all types of price ranges. You can choose one according to your budget. If you already own several tools, you may not be ready to get a brush cutter, but remember that this tool is different.
This is a multi-purpose tool and can even do the work of the majority of the gardening kits you have. Brush cutters are expensive, but they are worth it. This device can do the work of several tools and more effectively as well. Look for a brush cutter that is compatible with other attachments.
What Features Do You Want In A Brush Cutter?
If you want to get a brush cutter for any landscaping needs, then look for certain factors (3) to find the best option.
- Durability– You are spending money on a brush cutter and you must ensure that it lasts for a long time. Look at the blade and its material closely. You should also pay attention to the shaft. Brush cutters are meant to handle heavy work, so it is essential to find a durable one.
- Multi-purpose – These are versatile tools and can replace many of the gardening tools. Most of the products listed in these top ten-review have multi-purpose functions. Some come with their attachments, while for some, you can buy separately.
- Cutting Head – A good brush cutter is versatile and can be used as a weed eater and a brush cutter by simply changing the cutting blade.
- Blade – All brush cutter blades are not the same. Some can cut through the grass but cannot handle brush or tough weeds. Check the blade before you decide.
- Storage and handling – Make sure that the brush cutter is well balanced and lightweight. Check the handles for comfort. If it has a folding shaft, then it is easier to store it.
- Maintenance – A brush cutter is handy, but they only work well if you maintain them well. There are some companies which offer excellent after-sale service. Buy a tool that requires less maintenance.
How Can We Use A Brush Cutter?
Did you know that a brush cutter is a versatile tool and can do several jobs? It would help if you learned how best to use it.
The uses will differ based on the company or brand you select and what sizes and options they offer. However, there are a few basic things which you can do with a brush cutter.
Watch this video to see how you can use a brush cutter.
- Mowing: you can use a brush cutter to maintain a lawn. You can use it in place of a lawn mower or a string trimmer.
- Weeding: brush cutters are highly effective when it comes to stubborn weeds even from paved areas like your front yard.
- Tapering: brush cutters are best when working around a fence or tree. It allows more control to work around obstacles and features in your garden.
- Scything: brush cutters are very effective when it comes to long weeds and grass. You can use it as a scythe, but it requires some practice.
Types of Brush Cutter
Brush cutters are of various types, but the three main types are
- Handheld: these are ideal for residential use. Depending on your requirements you can choose from
- Gas-powered: these are more powerful and have impressive cutting power. Mostly professionals and people with large areas use it.
- Electric: these could be either cordless or corded. They are slightly less powerful than the gas-powered ones. They are better for the environment and more useful in smaller areas.
- Walk-Behind: as the name suggests, you need to walk behind these and push them. these are better for large areas and overgrown bushes.
- Tow-behind: these are suitable for working in large areas with thick brush and weeds. You need to attach them to a tractor or truck and pull behind.
- Excavator: these are heavy-duty and can be mounted on excavators or tractors and used for very thick and heavy brush removal. Generally used for clearing construction sites or trails.
How Can You Sharpen a Brush Cutter Blade?
Blades are essential in a brush cutter. With time and usage, blades can become blunt, and brush cutters will be ineffective. However, you don’t have to throw the tool away and buy a new one!
You can sharpen the blade at home and continue to use it. You must take necessary precautions like having safety gear and be very careful while doing it.
- Switch off the tool and remove the blade carefully.
- Even if it is blunt, it is still hazardous
- Now, clean the blade with soap and warm water
- If you have a whetstone then line up the blade angle on it
- Drag to and fro on the stone
- Your blade will be as good as a new one.
Best Brush Cutter for Stubborn Brush
There are so many types of brush cutters available in the market, and all of them claim to be the best. It can be a bit confusing, especially for someone new to gardening tools.
You must be clear about your needs to make the right choice. Here is a list of the top 10 products.
1.Makita 4-Stroke Brush Cutter
This is a powerful cutter that can do everything from removing stubborn weeds to handling bushes and under-wood! It has a compact design and weighs only about 12 pounds.
However, it has a 25.4 cc 4 stroke engine, which can deliver 1 horsepower. It is powerful enough to cut through an inch thick ash tree! It is meant for tough jobs and has a multi-position lubrication system.
So, you can turn the engine around and keep it at any angle and continue working with it. There is a steel driveshaft, which keeps the vibrations.
It is easy to carry and handle because of its compact design and less weight. You can work continuously for hours without feeling the strain.
It starts without any problems, thanks to the Mechanical Automatic Engine Decompression. The engine starts quickly and functions efficiently.
Its blade is hard and sharp and can cut small trees and heavy brush very effectively. Dual air filters are heavy duty with large sealing areas.
You can easily replace the filters, and accessing them is not difficult. Filling oil is easy because of easy accessibility. There is a window to check the oil level.
- Effortlessly start with automatic engine decompression
- Compact design with lightweight
- Steel drive shaft for more durability and stability
- Blade is not as sharp as users would want to
A powerful machine to take care of all your gardening needs! It has a quick start engine that can work for hours and at different angles consistently. Even though it is a powerful machine, it weighs only twelve pounds and easy to carry and handle.
2. Husqvarna 128LD Gas String Trimmer
When you work in your garden with different tools, safety is an important issue. The Husqvarna garden tool is an incredibly safe piece of equipment.
It is a gas shaft brush trimmer and has a feature called the smart start system. This system allows a user to get to work immediately after starting the machine.
Why this tool is safe is because of another incredible feature called auto return stop switch. When you stop the machine, it automatically resets itself. It has a 28 cc motor, which runs smoothly.
The engine runs on a mixture of unleaded gas and 2-cycle oil. A 2.6 oz bottle is included with the purchase.
One great thing with this tool is the easy way you can detach its shaft. This makes it easy to transport or store anywhere.
This is also very handy when you want to use it with other attachments like the edger, cultivator, or the pole saw. All these attachments are optional, and if you choose to buy them, you will have a complete gardening solution.
Any landscaping work can become easy with its trimmer head, which has a cutting width of 17 inches.
- Very safe to operate with its auto return stop switch
- Detachable shaft makes it easy to store
- Translucent fuel tank to check oil level easily
- Can choke or die if throttled too much
This brush cutter is safe and easy to handle. You will find that by getting all attachments, you can easily take care of the garden and keep it in good shape. Many professionals also use this tool.
3. LiTHELi 40V Cordless Grass Trimmer
If you are looking for an environment-friendly tool, then this could be a good option. More and more people are worried about pollution and want something safe.
This is a battery operated 2 in one tool and is mainly designed for domestic use. You can use it in a yard or garden around your house.
It has a 450 watt Outrunner motor, which runs up to 2500 revolutions per minute. It offers multiple speeds, which makes it easy to do a different type of work. Also, it is easy to switch between the nylon line for grass trimming and a 10-inch steel blade to cut through heavy brush or foliage.
You don’t want your tools to take a lot of space when not in use. It is easy to store this tool because it is foldable and lightweight. It has a cutting length of 14 inches, which is very efficient.
450-watt motor is brushless and provides vibration-free movement. Adjusting speed is smooth and prevents any damage to your garden. The outlet method is to tap the two-wire outlet.
The diameter of the coil is 0.08 inches, and the total length is 16 feet. This machine runs on 40 V lithium-ion battery packs.
- Adjustable speed with a multi-speed controller
- Has a foldable aluminum rod and storage is easy
- Has a 5-year tool and 3-year battery and charger warranty
- The machine is quite heavy, and users may feel tired even after short periods.
This brush cutter is easy to use and store. It has several speed settings and is easy to handle with different types of cuttings and trimming.
4. PROYAMA Powerful 42.7cc 5 in 1 Multifunctional Trimming Tools
If you are looking for a versatile tool for the upkeep of your garden, you might want to try it. It is powered by petrol with a 42.7 cc Proyama engine.
It is a multi-tool set that can take care of all your landscaping problems. It comes with a hedge trimmer, pole saw, and a string trimmer, apart from a brush cutter.
It also has an extension pole for ease of use. It is perfect for people who want multiple tools but either lack storage space or find it difficult to handle different tools.
It has an EPA certified engine. It is quite safe to use, both for the user as well as the environment. It discharges less fuel gas while in use.
The 2-HP, 2-cycle engine, with 42.7 cc power, can easily trim branches and cut tough weeds. There are several accessories like a shoulder harness, tough gloves, ear defenders, face shield, which will protect you from any mishap.
Pole saw length can be adjusted from 8.2 feet to 11.4 feet and has a cutting length of 12 inches. So, it is easy to cut a branch which is more than 7 feet tall from the ground itself.
- EPA certified engine is good for the environment
- It comes with multiple attachments and accessories.
- Has one year warranty and customer service is prompt
- Shaft is not very strong and may break with extensive use.
This is a multipurpose tool with several attachments. It will make your work easy, and storing will also be easy. For its price, it is a bargain.
5. TrimmerPlus BC720 Brushcutter
This is a compact and affordable brush cutter. It may not come with a powerhead, but it is strong enough to cut through heavy brush. It has a 4-tip steel blade with a cutoff guard.
The blade is reversible and is effective from both sides. It has a straight shaft design with a J bar and shoulder strap. This increases its maneuverability and makes it for you to have more control while you work.
One great thing about this tool is that it is compatible with the attachments of all major brands. You can easily fit it with attachments like pole saw, trimmer, or even a tool-less powerhead that could be lying in your home.
Its professional style design makes it easy to trim under shrubs and low branches easily. Its inner coupler tube diameter is 1.65 inches, and the driveshaft connector is square.
The gearbox is premium die-cast and works smoothly. The product comes with a 2-year limited warranty. The 4-tip blade is 8 inches in size and is ideal for cutting or trimming stubborn weeds, shrubs and branches. This weighs only 6.4 pounds and is easy to handle.
- 4-tip steel blade is reversible and has a cutoff guard
- Can be attached to different tools of all major brands
- Shoulder strap and J-bar allow more control and ease of use
- Changing blade is not smooth due to its retaining nut on the shaft
This Trimmer Plus offering is affordable and versatile. People who love to take care of their yard will like it. It is easy to use and effective.
6. Ryobi RY4CCS Curved Shaft Gas Trimmer
This is a truly innovative product from Ryobi and is lightweight yet durable. It runs on 4 cycle engine but is low on emissions and noise.
This is an excellent choice for people in the residential areas who want to look after their green patch but don’t disturb their neighbors. One useful feature is that there is no mixing of oil and gas.
This keeps the engine running well, and maintenance costs are also low. It comes with a curved shaft, which allows lighter and easier handling.
You will get about 17 inches of cutting width, which is enough to do most of your cutting and trimming quickly.
This product is compatible with many attachments, even of other brands. It runs on gas, and there is no mixing of oil, which generally causes contamination and damages the engine.
It has a 30 cc motor, which is quite powerful and will not make any loud noise while it works. The total length of the tool is about 36 inches.
You get power and performance with lower emissions and less hassle. It is ideal for cutting around obstacles like the mailbox or along the fence. The product has a 3-year limited warranty.
- Works well with different attachments and saves time, money and storage space
- Runs on gas so there is no mixing of oil and gas
- 4-cycle motor makes less noise and low emissions
- Has 30 cc motor still underperforms and struggles in taller grass
This is a versatile and convenient gardening tool and will be a great help in gardening. It is ideal for a variety of chores.
7. Greenworks Cordless String Trimmer
This product comes from a reputable company that has a high line of power tools. It has DigiPro brushless motors, which are very reliable and deliver excellent performance.
With a fully charged 2.0 AH battery, it can run for 45 minutes. The company claims that this brush cutter has an 80-volt motor that offers power equal to a 32 cc gas engine.
This just shows that it is quite powerful, and you can use this tool to cut grass, weed, or brush easily in your garden or backyard. Its split boom design is compatible with most gas attachments. The product includes a 14/16 inch string trimmer bump feed attachment.
This brush cutter is compatible with a wide variety of attachments, even ones made for gas-powered brush cutters. It has a 16-inch cutting head, one of the largest in the electric brush cutter options.
It has a smooth load head for a quick refill of trimmer line and a unique feature, its self-winding spool head. It does not come with batteries or a charger, but it is easy to find compatible batteries and chargers.
It can be used with or without a cord. You can also check the installation video on the company’s website.
- Electric brush cutter as powerful as a gas cutter
- Can work with attachments meant for gas-powered cutters
- With fully charged batteries you can use it for 45 minutes
- It is challenging to get a quick response from customer service
This brush cutter has an electric motor and runs on batteries. It is safe for the environment and produces no harmful emissions.
8. Poulan Pro PP28LD SureFire String Trimmer
This gardening tool is perfect for all kinds of outdoor jobs. It has a Surefire 28 cc 2-cycle engine, which makes it powerful and highly effective. It has a spring-assisted start system, which is easy to operate.
It has a long straight shaft which allows a user to reach bushes, trees, or any other foliage in need of cutting and trimming. This brush cutter is of a professional standard and suitable for all kinds of landscaping work.
This tool is versatile, especially with attachments. It is also very cost-effective and takes very little space when not in use.
One big problem people have with their tools is storage and maintenance, and both are easy with this.
This tool has been designed to be compatible with 6 optional attachments via pro-link. It has a split boom shaft with the pro link attachment system.
With these attachments, you can take care of trimming, tilling, hedge trimming, and tree pruning, apart from brush cutting.
It has a 17-inch cutting edge, and with its powerful 2 stroke engine, your work is easy. The company has been making gardening tools for a long time and has established itself as a reputed brand.
- Has a log and straight shaft for better reach
- Split Boom Shaft with Pro-link system for attachments
- Spring-assisted start system makes it easy to operate
- Stalling problems means you may to stop and start again
This is a powerful brushcutter and is compatible with a variety of attachments. Its 17-inch cutting edge is sharp and wide enough to take on the most stubborn weeds and bushes.
9. Remington RM2700 Ranchero Brushcutter
This brush cutter has a 2-cycle engine that functions smoothly and powerfully. Taking care of any unruly foliage and grass will be easy with this tool.
The quick-start feature makes the pull start easy and fast. There is a straight shaft, which is quite long. You can use it to trim and cut in areas that are hard to reach, like under the bushes or a branch of a tree.
The product comes with an attachable bump head. By attaching this with a quick-change feature, the tool easily converts into a string trimmer in seconds.
This is ideal for residential gardens, and its versatility makes it one of the best choices. It has a durable and robust metal blade, and its cutting width of 18 inches allows you to cut through thick grass and dense foliage in less time.
It comes with an adjustable J-handle and shoulder strap. This reduces fatigue and gives more control to the user. It is compatible with attachments from many other brands.
You can use your brushcutter as a blower, hedge trimmer, cultivator, etc. with these attachments. With its 27 cc full crank 2-cycle engine, this is powerful but does not vibrate too much.
- Quickstart technology makes it easy to use
- Compatible with several attachments
- Straight and long shaft, as well as the quick-change head, are user-friendly features
- Replacing, returning or repairing are all time consuming
This brush cutter is lightweight and very simple to use. It has a good design and features to make it a convenient and handy tool.
10. Troy-Bilt TB42 BC Gas Brushcutter
This brush cutter can take care of all your landscaping problems easily. It has a 27 cc, full-crank 2-cycle engine with a jump-start feature.
This eliminates the need to pull a cord to start. You can start it smoothly and it functions also very smoothly. Just by having this one tool, you can do so much work.
This is because it is easy to use it with different attachments for a variety of projects. It has an adjustable J-handle that gives support and control to the user. One great feature is that both right and left-handed people can use this tool easily.
It has an 8-inch steel brush blade with 4 teeth. It can take on heavy and dense bushes or weeds. It is compatible with 10 different attachments from Trimmer Plus.
It has foot-pedal automatic Continuous Variable Transmission. There is hardly any vibration while you use it. This tool is quite durable and will last for a long time.
For people looking for that one tool to solve all garden problems, this could be the right choice.
- 27 cc engine has enough power to take on tough weeds and bushes
- Engine has jump-start capabilities so no need to pull a cord
- Has an 8 inch, 4-tooth steel blade which is very strong
- Blade attachment works fine but string trimmer line keeps breaking in the spool
This is a strong brush cutter with some great features like a jump start to make it easy to use. It has a lengthy shaft and wide cutting edge to give you the best results.
People who have a big garden or large space to take care of, know that just using a lawnmower or a string trimmer is not enough. Brush cutters are versatile tools and can help in cutting- through the toughest of vegetation.
Regular upkeep of your garden will become very easy with this tool. These are durable, tough, and strong tools, but only if you choose correctly.
These are a bit expensive, so you need to make a careful decision while selecting a brush cutter.
After going through all the information given here, you are in a better position to make the decision. We feel that the Makita 4-Stroke Brush Cutter is the best in this list.
It is very powerful and yet has a compact and lightweight design. It starts quickly and works smoothly. It is a durable and long-lasting tool.
All in all, assess your requirements and then match them with the best brush cutter to enjoy the benefits in your clean and well-maintained garden!