The creamy fruit of a ripened avocado is one of the most tasty treats for those who love fruits. The joy of eating a tasty and healthy fruit is manifold when you have grown it in your own kitchen garden and aware about the amount of effort that was spent for growing that little fruit.
The virtue of avocado trees is that they require immense sunlight as long as they get during the daytime. A huge garden space is also needed since their root systems are very shallow.
Avocados are difficult to grow but they are evergreen and bear large fruits during their harvest season. As soil is the major factor in determining the quality of any plant, the same is the case for avocados.
The kind of soil and its quality plays a very crucial role in the quality of fruits avocados provide. We would review 5 best soil for avocado tree.
- Types of Soil
- A Good Drainage System
- Salts in Avocado Trees
- Considerations for Growing Avocados Trees within a Container
- 5 Best Soil for Avocado Tree
- 1. Fox Farm Ocean Forest Potting Soil, Organic Mix Indoor Outdoor For Garden And Plants – Organic Plant Fertilizer
- 2. Fox Farm Happy Frog Organic Potting Soil Mix Indoor Outdoor Garden Plants
- 3. Fox Farm Coco Loco Potting Soil
- 4. Scott’s Turf Builder Lawn Soil
- 5. Wakefield Biochar Soil Conditioner – Premium
Types of Soil
Loose soil that is also very well-aerated is the kind of environment where avocado trees are most likely to thrive.
If you examine the other types of soils, you will see that sandy loam, limestone and granite, which is decomposed, are the main soil types that propagate and facilitate the lush and rich yield for this fruit.
Although, avocado trees are best grown in a pH level between 6 and 6.5, these trees can equally tolerate alkaline and acidic soils. The range provided is the nature of being mildly acidic.
If this is requested, then you can revise the soil with sulfur or lime from time to time. This should however be performed carefully and accurately by using a good pH reading device.
The very important point for the cultivator of avocado trees is that soils which are compact tend to hinder the spread of the roots of the trees. This in turn can stunt or at least stagnate the growth of the trees and also result in the rotting up of the tree roots.
A Good Drainage System
A well aired environment is most suitable for the lush yield of avocados. If the roots of the trees are constantly surrounded and stifled by moisture, then it will lead to poor health of the tree.
As in all other kinds of plants and trees, the health of the tree is determined by the quality of the roots of that tree.
If the roots are choked with moisture, then the overall yield will be poor in quantity as well as the quality of the fruit. To ensure that there is no moisture throttled in the roots, it is imperative that you have a good drainage system for the soil so that this should ensure the healthy growth of your trees.
Some people think that the tree is dehydrated if it is not watered at frequent intervals. It is also believed that this leads to a poor growth mechanism. However, this is not the case with avocado trees.
The best condition for them is to be slightly dry. If you ever feel that the tree needs some water for pure reasons of sustenance, then you can pick up a handful of soil from the surrounding and examine it.
If it has a granular and cracked texture, then you may water it. Otherwise, watering on a regular basis is not a good idea. It will do no good for the tree if you harbor wet soil on an already muddy texture. This will affect the quality of the fruit it bears in the long run.
Salts in Avocado Trees
Salts end up occurring in trees naturally at frequent intervals. Although the salt occurs naturally, it can indeed be harmful to the avocado tree, especially if it exists in very high concentrations.
If you feel that there may be a problem due to the existence of salt or if you want to check if the presence of salt, then you can control it by examining the leaves of the avocado trees.
If you see that the tips of the leaves are starting to appear brown or sunburned, then you can be sure that there is more salt than it should be.
The concentration of the salt should be at par and in equilibrium for the growth of a healthy tree, if you are frequently not watering the tree but providing water only when needed and not indiscriminately.
Due to the threat of salt for the avocado trees, it is a very bad idea to plant avocado trees near the ocean shores. This is because the concentration of the salt is very high near the oceans and they increase even more because the sea air is alkaline as well.
The heightened salt quantity makes it very difficult for cultivators to control the exposure of the trees. One must carefully observe the leaves of the trees frequently to identify this problem in early stages instead of letting the tree get ruined because of such problem.
Indeed, it can be easily identified. These controls must be thoroughly and diligently performed to ensure that the tree is planted in the soil with best quality.
Considerations for Growing Avocados Trees within a Container
There are many people who do not want to hassle of having to grow a big tree. For this reason, they prefer to grow an avocado tree within a small container. If you prefer this method, you need to know that there is a very unique and specialized concoction to be used in contained avocados.
The concoction is to include the soil of your kitchen garden. As far as watering the avocado tree in a container is concerned, it is very much similar to what you would do for a full sized avocado tree.
It is a good idea to keep on moving the plant into bigger containers as it grows. This will provide maximum maturation and give a much better yield when compared to other options.
5 Best Soil for Avocado Tree
1. Fox Farm Ocean Forest Potting Soil, Organic Mix Indoor Outdoor For Garden And Plants – Organic Plant Fertilizer
It comes in a 40 quart packet with a pair of free gloves. It is ready for use as soon as you take it out of the bag. It is well aerated and it is already adjusted to a pH level of 6.8. It is formulated specially to grow seedlings and other young plants as per environmental prerequisites.
- The soil is full of micronutrients
- This soil is perfect for indoor vegetables and houseplants
- The soil has the perfect PH level for plants to grow
- People have experienced excellent results with this soil type
- It comes with pearsons protective gloves
- It is 100% natural
- It has a long expiry date of 2 years
- The soil is very expensive
2. Fox Farm Happy Frog Organic Potting Soil Mix Indoor Outdoor Garden Plants
This comes in a 51 quart packet and it is also bundled with protective outdoor gloves. It also has a pH level balanced for optimum nutrition for trees and plants. It is light and thus easy to use.
- It comes with pearsons protective gloves
- It improves the production of flowers and fruits
- The soil is alive with beneficial fungi and microbes which can decompose the organic matter to feed the plants
- The soil comes with large amounts of castings of natural earthworm and bat guano
- It creates a big problem for plants
3. Fox Farm Coco Loco Potting Soil
Bundled with protective outdoor gloves. This type of soil has the ability to hold more weight than it has. It surprisingly drains well even while watered. It provides a lot of help for the first-time users.
The coir is more or less like small sponges which are very porous. It eliminates the possibility of developing fungus or mold on it. It helps to easily deal with soil and avocado tree since it is specially formulated for the first time users.
- It comes with pearsons protective gloves
- It reduces the chance of developing mold and root rot
- The coir acts as sponges and offer roots nutrients and water
- It doesn’t attract insects because of the low humidity content
- There aren’t any cons
4. Scott’s Turf Builder Lawn Soil
It is a 32 pound packet and can be used for any type of plant or tree. With its water-resistant technology, it is one of the best soils to be used in areas where it rains a lot and more frequently. It helps the growth of new grass and re-growing barren land.
- It comes in a big packet so that you do not need to repurchase frequently.
- It is a water smart product.
- Helps regrowth of barren land
- Fills spots of grass
- It includes fertilizer nutrients to make sure that your garden is free of any pests.
- It is very pricey
- You may have to mix products like lime to accelerate the growth
5. Wakefield Biochar Soil Conditioner – Premium
This soil is available in a 1 pound bag. This is a rich concoction of nutrients that are certified by the USDA ST wing (United States Department of Agriculture – Soil Taxonomy). This soil type does not get spoilt so soon and easily. It stays for generations and the properties of it gets better with time.
The best part about this soil is that, it does not get washed away with water so easily. It is also drought resistant since it is porous and it can retain water for a longer amount of time.
There is also a drastic increase in microbes and their beneficial activities which play a major role in keeping the plant healthy. It does not have a pungent or a strong smell even it is very common for any soil type or fertilizer.
- This soil is very healthy and can last for generations
- It can resist drought
- It does not only increase the microbial activity, but also puts carbon back to the soil
- It is best for organic farming and increases growth of beneficial bacteria
- It neutralizes the odor and prevents mold
- It is too powdery
As discussed earlier, the soil is the most crucial parameter for growing a healthy tree and to provide a long-life support for it. The core parameters of the tree, such as its strength and the quality of the fruit it bears, help us to understand how good or bad condition the tree is in.
Watering the plant and giving it exposure under sunlight are not the only ways to ensure its well-being. The soil it grows in and its surroundings play more important role.
Because, water and sunlight are external factors, but the soil is practically the home for the tree where it was born and grown. If the home of the tree has a bad quality, neither will the tree live long nor will it live to its fullest
The review results showed that Fox Farm Ocean Forest Potting Soil Organic Mix Indoor Outdoor For Garden And Plants – Organic Plant Fertilizer is the best soil for growing avocados as it has the perfect pH and micronutrients.