What Are Fertilizer Spreaders?
Do you feel that result of your hard work is not reflected in the condition of your lawn? Does it frustrate you? Even after using the best grass seeds, watering, and fertilizing on schedule, there could be uneven growth.
A well-maintained lawn looks evenly lush and green! The problem could be in the way you are fertilizing! A suitable fertilizer spreader can do wonders for the soil. What it does is, regulate the spread and quantity of fertilizers.
Too much fertilizer can kill your lawn, and too little will just not the job! Maintaining a lawn requires some precision and accuracy in terms of what you are going to feed it.
Be it water, nutrition, or pesticides; unless you use them correctly, they will harm the lawn and soil instead of doing any good. The best fertilizer spreader allows you to set the spread rate and deliver fertilizer in a uniform and accurate manner.
- What Are Fertilizer Spreaders?
- How Vital Is Fertilizer for A Garden?
- How to Choose
- 10 Best Fertilizer Spreaders
- 1.Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader
- 2. Solo 421 20-Pound Capacity Portable Chest-mount Spreader
- 3. Lesco High Wheel Fertilizer Spreader
- 4. Earthway 2150 Commercial 50-Pound Walk-Behind Broadcast Spreader
- 5. Brinly P20-500BHDF Push Spreader
- 6. Fasmov Adjustable Handheld Spreader
- 7. Spot Spreader Hand Spreader Shaker
- 8. Agri-Fab 45-0463 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
- 9. Scotts 71131 Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
- 10. Goplus Broadcast Spreader Builder Fertilizer
How Vital Is Fertilizer for A Garden?
If you want your plants and grass to grow healthy and strong, you need to feed them right! Fertilizers have nutrients like nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, which boost plants’ growth.
It is best to fertilize in late spring and through summertime. The best way to do is to use a fertilizer spreader.
Types of Fertilizer Spreaders
There are 3 basic types of fertilizer spreaders. Each one has its pros and cons. Depending on your project, you can choose a particular kind of spreader.
These are the most common type of fertilizer spreaders. They can be pushed manually or pulled with a lawnmower. It can cover large areas at once.
It disperses fertilizer from its bottom, front, and sides. Generally, there is a dial that allows you to adjust the rate and quantity of fertilizer release.
It is always a good idea to follow the directions given along with the fertilizer. You can also check the efficiency and spreading style by trying it on a small concrete patch.
- It can cover large areas in swift time.
- It is more suitable for jobs where precision is not needed.
- It is not effective in areas that require precision like a flower bed.
- Due to wind and wide dispersal, fertilizer can land in unintended areas
This spreader is excellent for granular fertilizer or uneven materials like compost. It works best in open areas where you can use it in straight lines.
It can also be pushed or towed like a broadcast spreader but disperses only from the bottom. You can set the amount and flow rate before you start. It takes more time than broadcast spreader, but it allows the more focused application.
- More precise application is possible
- Ideal for yards with no obstacles and straight lines.
- It takes more time to spread fertilizer
- Spreading in large areas is difficult
This option is more affordable and portable than the other two. It is suitable for small yards. A handheld spreader has a crank handle. There are holes in the compartment facing downwards. When it is cranked, the fertilizer comes out.
- Ideal for small and targeted areas
- More affordable than other options
- For large areas, it is not accurate enough
- Rate of flow and quantity is not uniform
Apart from these three, sprayers can be used for liquid fertilizers. A hose is attached to the canister with the fertilizer.
These are good for light and quick fertilization but lack the accuracy and uniformity of other spreaders. It is best to use more than one spreader in combination, especially in larger areas.
Why Use A Spreader?
It is challenging and even dangerous to use fertilizers without spreaders. Applying dry fertilizers by hand is only possible for pots and a tiny area. Here are some reasons why you should use a spreader.
- Even and Accurate – If you don’t use a spreader, you may end up with an uneven application.
- This may lead to bare patches or burnt patches on the lawn.
- By using spreaders, you can easily fertilize large areas and that too in an even and accurate way.
- Keep Yourself Safe – Direct contact with fertilizer can cause severe skin and health problems. By using a spreader, you can avoid any direct contact and still fertilize well.
- Save Time – Using a spreader can save you a lot of time, especially if you have to work in large areas. A suitable spreader can be calibrated to disperse the exact amount and without much effort from you. It will be quicker and more efficient.
- Save Money – Good fertilizers are quite expensive, and you don’t want to waste any. Spreaders apply them evenly and accurately. There will be no over application or wastage.
- Multiple Uses – A spreader can be used for spreading seeds, compost, or even salt on an icy walkway. It allows you to change the settings so that you can use it as per your wish. It is a versatile tool and will be very helpful.
How to Choose
Once you decide to get a fertilizer spreader, the next step is to determine which one to get. It will mainly depend on the size of the area you want to cover.
You may need more than one type of spreader, depending on the landscape. Spreaders are relatively simple tools, but it is essential to match them with your needs. Keep the following things in mind while selecting a spreader.
- Size of the area to be fertilized
- The shape of the area such as curved, straight or twisted
- Soil and terrain of the area
- Level of accuracy and precision required
- How much time and energy you can spend!
It would help if you also considered walkways, patios, flowerbeds, or, any other features and obstacles.
10 Best Fertilizer Spreaders
Now, you understand your requirements, and you also know what you are looking for! However, the market is full of spreaders of different kinds, and it can get confusing if you don’t know much about them. Here is how we selected the best 10.
There are several factors that you need to consider before making this decision.
- Capacity – How much fertilizer can a spreader, hold, and disperse is essential. Smaller handheld ones can carry only about 1 pound while the bigger ones with wheels may carry more than 60 pounds. Depending on your needs, you can choose this factor.
- Handheld, Chest-mounted, or wheeled – Precision is more critical in smaller gardens and yards. Over-fertilizing can burn your lawn. Under-fertilizing can result in patchy growth. Accuracy, precision, and consistency are all essential factors.
- Precision and accuracy – A handheld spreader has a handle, and you can monitor the progress closely. Chest mounted units are secured to the front of your body with a harness. A cart or container on wheels is a large spreader, and you have to push it or tow it with a tractor.
- Price and value – Price and value are two different things. When you buy a low-cost item, it can cost you more over time. Unless there is a big difference in prices, choose the spreader which is suitable regardless of price.
- Durability – Always look at the design and construction materials carefully. Generally, a good brand has the right products but still pay attention to build quality. If it seems flimsy, then it will not last long. In larger spreaders, look at the tires and frame strength.
The spreaders given here are all of the different types. Just go through all the information and see which one fits your needs.
1.Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader
This is a heavy-duty wheeled drop spreader with a large capacity. It can hold fertilizer for approximately 10500 square feet of lawn.
The sturdy frame has a powder-coated finish and is durable and offers excellent stability. You can use it for seeds and sand dispersal apart from fertilizers.
Some people also use it for spreading salt on icy walkways. So, it is a truly multipurpose and handy tool to have. You will be able to use it quickly and spread fertilizer in an even way. Accuracy and precision are very important while spreading fertilizer in your garden.
One good thing is that it comes fully assembled and you can just take it out and start using it immediately. You will not even have to calibrate because it comes pre-calibrated.
Very easy to use and maintain. It will spread fertilizer in a uniform and even way all over the area. It is ideal for small to medium surfaces, where it is challenging to spread manually.
Simultaneously, it spreads in a precise and accurate manner, which is suitable for flowerbeds, walkways, etc. It requires some effort from you.
You need to pull the trigger to wind the plastic spreaders to start dispersing. This drop spreader has a 22-inch spread pattern, which is consistent and effective. Its wheels are quite large and move smoothly over obstacles.
- A very affordable option with excellent results
- Large capacity is convenient to cover bigger areas
- Very precise and accurate operation
- Wheels are large but narrow and can get wobbly
This spreader is designed to disperse fertilizer accurately and precisely over small or medium-sized gardens. Ease to use and handle!
2. Solo 421 20-Pound Capacity Portable Chest-mount Spreader
When you look for a spreader, you must always consider the size of the area. Chest mounted spreaders are very common but are ideal for small gardens.
Any home gardener would love to have this in his collection of garden tools. It has a capacity of about 20 pounds. The tool has to be mounted on the chest of the user with the help of a harness system.
It allows the weight to be spread evenly and makes carrying the load easier. It is a great tool to use for fertilizing lawns or flowerbeds. It is a portable device and easy to carry around.
It has a screw top, and there are no fears of odors or contamination to your skin. You can control it quickly, and there is no problem of maneuvering on rocky or uneven surfaces.
In this aspect, it is better to use this spreader than a wheeled one on small uneven surfaces. You will be able to cover every corner more effectively. It is a sturdy container with a screw cap.
Users will not be contaminated and will remain protected from any debris. It is versatile, and you can use it for dispersal of seeds, sand, and salt as and when you need it. A multipurpose unit is useful throughout the year.
- Easy to use and lightweight, portable spreader
- Precise and accurate function
- Screwcap for protection of user
- There is no warranty so difficult to replace
This is a portable and versatile spreader. It is ideal for small areas only because its capacity is only 20 pounds. It is very accurate, and there is no wastage of fertilizer.
3. Lesco High Wheel Fertilizer Spreader
This is a high-quality machine ideal for large areas. Professional landscapers or people living on a farm prefer this spreader for its great features.
This is mainly because of the large capacity of 80 pounds that it has. When you need to fertilize large surfaces that run into acres, then you need a machine that can handle it.
This is a drop spreader that has a sturdy steel frame and a plastic reservoir for the fertilizer. This container is large and requires a strong frame and wheel support.
Stainless steel is of high quality and won’t rust even if you leave it out in the open. Maintaining this tool is quite easy.
After every use cleans thoroughly and stores it till the next time, it is easy to push it because of its large tires. They can easily take on any obstacle in the soil. The dispenser is under the reservoir, which keeps a steady rate of flow going.
The granules fall onto a spreading wheel from where they are dispersed uniformly. One great feature is that you can adjust its handle in any of three different positions to suit you.
This is an excellent choice for large spaces, which may also be uneven. Avoid using it for smaller yards as it will not be effective.
- Popular with professionals due to its capacity
- Adjustable handles with different settings
- Large tires are good on uneven surfaces
- Requires a lot of energy and time for pushing
This spreader is perfect for large and rough areas. Keeping a big area in good condition is quite easy and effortless with this product. Its precision and large capacity attract professionals.
4. Earthway 2150 Commercial 50-Pound Walk-Behind Broadcast Spreader
If you need a spreader for a large or medium area with not too many obstacles, then choosing this product will be a good idea. It is one of the best options and selected by professionals for working on farms, golf courses, or big lawns.
It has a capacity of 50 pounds with a three-hole drop and shut off system. Earthway has a patent on its spreading technology called ‘EVN-Speed,’ which ensures even dispersal and distribution. There is a gearbox with driveshafts for increasing or decreasing the rate of flow as per your needs.
When you choose a large spreader, its construction quality is essential. Look at the device and its finish carefully. In this product, the frame is sturdy and made with powder-coated steel.
You can adjust the height of the handles for optimum convenience. The air-filled tires make it easy to push and pull, and they move smoothly across all types of terrains.
Additionally, there is a debris screen under the dispersion outlet. This stops any clumping that may happen in the shut-off system. It is a compact spreader yet packs a punch. It can be stored easily, even in a small space. It is ideal for regular maintenance. It may seem expensive but is worth the money.
- Compact spreader for medium and large areas
- Excellent design and high-quality construction
- Adjustable handles and easy storage
- It is a high-quality product but does not have any warranty
This compact spreader with wheels is ideal for medium or large garden spaces or golf courses. Easy to store even for those who do not have a lot of storage room to spare. You will get an even spread of fertilizer.
5. Brinly P20-500BHDF Push Spreader
This is a heavy-duty spreader which can hold approximately 50 pounds of fertilizer. There are large pneumatic turf tread tires of 12 by 3-inch dimensions, which are sturdy and durable.
You can quickly push this machine through your lawn or garden. One great feature is the deflector kit! It controls the flow and prevents any dispersal in unwanted areas.
You can easily flip the deflector up and keep it out of the way when you are not using it. The rust-proof and dent-proof hopper can hold 50 pounds of seeds, salt or fertilizer. It is rustproof, so maintaining it is not a problem.
The gearbox is fully enclosed and is rust-resistant with stainless steel hardware and shafts. It makes maintaining very easy, and there are hardly any breakdowns.
The controls are placed conveniently and are easy to reach. Calibration settings are accurate and straightforward. Brinly customer service is excellent, and they respond quickly.
Replacing any part can be done with online requests. Excellent customer service is the hallmark of a good and, more importantly, a confident company!
Only a company which is sure of its quality can give excellent support. They have a unique website and toll-free number so that anyone can reach them easily. It is a versatile and multipurpose machine and can be used throughout the year for different reasons.
- Pneumatic tires have a heavy tread and are smooth on all terrains
- The body and all hardware is durable and rust-proof
- Deflector kit controls the flow and prevents wastage
- It is a bit on the expensive side
This is an excellent spreader with good quality hardware and unique design. The customer service is excellent and supportive. The deflector kit is an excellent addition.
6. Fasmov Adjustable Handheld Spreader
This is one of the simplest spreaders to use! It is suitable for pots or small indoor gardens and even for small areas outdoors.
Many people have small gardens or plants in their balconies or patios, which could be ideal for them. If you want to look after your plants in a fuss-free way and that at an affordable price, this handheld spreader is the answer.
It is a no-frills spreader, which is extremely easy to use. The best part is that you can use it with both liquid and granular fertilizers. Sometimes your plants require liquid fertilizers.
There are markings on the container to guide you through mixing the liquid correctly. Storing is also easy with this, and you can keep it anywhere, in any small space.
If you have pots on your kitchen window sill, you can keep it under the sink and use it whenever possible. There are no premium materials used in making this nor any fancy design.
However, it looks neat and compact. It comes as a pack of two and can hold about 2 L of substance. If you have plants in two locations, you can keep one near the plants. You can adjust the hole sizes to calibrate the output. It has a superior grip which is comfortable and firm.
- Easy to fill and use.
- Works well with both liquid and granular fertilizer
- Very affordable and great for small areas and gardens
- With its dark color, challenging to see measurement level
For small budgets and small regions, this is a perfect choice. Easy to use and store. Adjustable holes in the cap allow you to use only as much as you need. Prevents wastage!
7. Spot Spreader Hand Spreader Shaker
This is a handheld spreader which is ideal for people who like stylish things! It has a molded outer design with black and bright green colors. It is strong and durable and effortless to use.
It can hold a prime place among all gardening tools. Simply fill it with fertilizer and use the adjustable screw cap to seal it. The container is lightweight and ergonomically designed.
The cap has three different spreading options, which you can use by twisting the cover. It can hold up to 80 oz. of material. This amount is good enough for fertilizing your indoor or balcony garden in one go.
It can be used for seeds and salt as well as fertilizers. Remember to clean it thoroughly every time you use it so that there is no bad smell and remain in good condition for many years. It is made with high-quality commercial-grade materials that are durable and can last for years.
Even if you drop it, there will be no damage. Easy to open and close and adjust, so there is no wastage or spillage.
Very efficient and effective, you can easily control the amount and rate of fertilizer dispersal. It is ideal for areas near the walkways, where precision is essential. It comes with a lifetime warranty if you are not happy with the product you can replace or return quickly.
- Very handy and portable
- Stylish looks with durable design and materials
- Adjustable holes to control the rate of flow
- Cap is attached to the handle and difficult to fix
Great looking spreader for a small indoor or balcony garden! Easy to use and store. Made with high-grade materials with an exceptional finish! It will last for a long time.
8. Agri-Fab 45-0463 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
This broadcast spreader is the ideal choice if you need to fertilize large lawns or estates. It is the ultimate commercial fertilizer spreader with a huge hopper capacity of 130 pounds. If you have any agricultural projects or commercial landscaping operations, then this product is the most suitable.
You can attach this spreader to a tow bar on your truck or tractor and pull it along. When it starts to move, the driveshaft is engaged in the gearbox.
It makes the dispersion disc spin under the hopper. There is a steady dropping action in the hopper system, which ensures that the correct amount of fertilizer comes out at a consistent rate and speed.
For a spreader this size, you want it to function smoothly. It has large air-filled tires that tread on all kinds of terrains. Towing it with a vehicle is not a problem.
It is one of the biggest yet one of the easiest use as well. Depending on the speed and material used, this spreader can cover almost 25000 square feet in one fill.
It has a durable rod linked on/off control system which has precise settings. You can get optional hopper cover, deflector, and a hopper grate separately to make it more efficient.
- With a 130-pound capacity, this is ideal for large areas
- Easy to control and maneuver on all surfaces
- Durable and comes with a 3-year warranty
- You need to assemble it and aligning everything is not easy
Towing this product with a tractor or truck is easy. It is effortless to use on large farms. The tires are sturdy and large and move with stability even on rough terrain.
9. Scotts 71131 Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
Most spreaders, be it handheld or push types, require some effort on the users’ part. Not this one! This is a battery-operated broadcast spreader that is compact and portable.
It is ideal for small patches around your house. It is an excellent choice for older adults or people with mobility issues. At first glance, it does not look like a fertilizer spreader!
This is one of the few batteries operated spreaders available in the market. Once you fill-up the hopper, it can cover approximately 2500 square feet of the ground.
Choose this spreader if you need to look after small areas in small periods. Batteries may run out if you continue for more extended periods. Always have extra batteries.
There are 24- dispersion speed settings for accurate dispersal. If you don’t like to push or pull a spreader or find it tiring, this is the right choice.
It is ideal for areas around the house that are small and have a small lawn and some flowerbeds. There is an edge guard which can prevent the fertilizer from spraying to unwanted areas.
So, your flowerbeds remain protected while you work on surrounding areas. One of the best features of this spreader is its accuracy. You just have to pull a trigger, and the machine will start to disperse the fertilizer at the speed you set.
- Battery-powered for easy use
- Compact and portable
- 24-dispersion speed settings make it accurate
- It is a bit on the expensive side
An excellent choice for people who don’t mind paying the price for comfort! Battery operated spreader is ideal for older adults or anyone else who does not want to expend energy.
10. Goplus Broadcast Spreader Builder Fertilizer
If you have a large garden and lawn, you know that it requires a lot of work and the right amount of water, sunlight, and fertilizer for plants, flowers, and lawns to grow. Fertilizer has to be spread evenly for better results.
This spreader is excellent for large spaces and can distribute evenly across space. It can hold about 55 pounds of any material.
You can use it for dispersal of salt and seeds apart from fertilizer. It is designed well to work efficiently. You will notice that you can finish your work faster with this spreader and have more time to enjoy it.
This spreader can carry a lot of fertilizer and spread consistently, mainly because its wheels are sturdy. You need smooth movement even on rough terrain or thick grass for fertilizing to go well.
The walk-behind design makes it easy to broadcast fertilizer while pushing it forward. It is made of heavy-duty iron, which is powder-coated is rust free ad corrosion resistant.
It is very durable and will last for years. It comes with an easy to understand manual. Even a beginner can operate this spreader without any difficulty.
- Versatile and can be used in many ways
- Includes assembling instructions and tools
- Walk-behind design is easy while fertilizing
- Weight of fertilizer keeps clogging the openings and requires shaking
This is a good option if you are looking for a spreader for a large area. It can hold 55 pounds of fertilizer and cover large areas in one go. Its design is excellent and makes it efficient.
If you have always been envious of your neighbors’ garden, then probably you are missing something! Many people don’t realize the problem and keep pouring in more money and effort without getting the desired results.
Fertilizers are crucial, but more important is the right quantity of dispersal and even spreading. A spreader can do this for you! Any experienced gardener will tell you that the best way to apply fertilizers is with a spreader. It will give you control over the rate and quantity of flow.
Whatever your project, you can find a spreader to suit your needs. You can choose from one of these types
Or use more than one in combination. It will depend mainly on the size of the area you want to work on. You have to be careful while selecting one.
We are sure that after you go through the information about different products, it will be easier for you to make a decision.
In my opinion, Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader is the best among the drop spreaders given here. This is because its size and capacity are just right.
Moreover, you don’t have to calibrate it because it comes pre-calibrated. It is more accurate and precise than other spreaders in its class.
Agri-Fab 45-0463 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader is the best among the broadcast spreaders. It has a capacity of 130 pounds and can easily cover large areas.
It is effortless to use by attaching to a truck or tractor. The best part is that it comes with a three-year warranty. Choose the most suitable spreader for even and lush growth!