Garden rooms are a great way to add extra space to your home and enjoy your garden all year round. But they can be expensive, especially if you hire a professional company to build one for you.
You don’t need to worry, though.
If you’re on a budget, there are still plenty of ways to create a beautiful and affordable garden room anywhere in the world.
Following are a few ideas to help get you started.
- Cheap Garden Room Ideas for You!
- Furnishing and Decorating Your Garden Room on a Budget
- Additional Tips for Saving Money on Your Garden Room
- In Conclusion!
Cheap Garden Room Ideas for You!
Here are some fantastic garden room ideas that you can opt for without having to break the bank:
1. Building Your Own Garden Room
If you’re handy with tools, you can save a lot of money by building your own garden room.
Plenty of plans and tutorials are available online, so you don’t need to be an expert carpenter to get started.
If you’re unsure of where to start, here are a few basic tips for building your own garden room:
- Choose the Right Location: Choose a location for your garden room that is level and well-drained. Choosing a spot with plenty of sunlight is essential, especially if you plan to use your garden room all year round.
- Have a Set of Plans: You can find various set plans for garden rooms online. Find the most suitable one according to your location.
- Prepare the Base: Once you’ve chosen a plan, you need to construct the base for your garden room. This could involve placing ground screws, laying a concrete slab, or simply leveling up the ground.
- Build the Frame: The frame of your garden room is the most crucial part, so it’s important to make sure it’s sturdy. You can use wood or metal to build the frame, but make sure to use strong fixings.
- Add the Walls and Roof Structure: Once the frame is in place, you can add the walls and the roof. You can use various materials for the walls and the ceiling, such as wood, metal, or shingles.
- Reinforce with Further Protective Material: This one is optional, but if you want your garden room to be rock solid, you can add some OSB board around the exterior.
- Install Windows and Doors: Add windows and doors to your garden room based on your design.
- Lay the Internal Flooring: Choose a flooring material that complements your needs.
- Insulate Your Garden Room: This will help promote ventilation inside your garden room during various seasons.
Now, let’s look at some other ideas.
2. Using Recycled Materials to Build a Garden Room
One of the best ways to save money on your garden room is to use recycled materials.
Here are a few ideas for using recycled materials in garden rooms:
- Wooden Pallets: You can use wooden pallets to build the primary structure, walls, floor, and roof of your garden room. Also, they’re great for making furniture, such as garden benches, tables, chairs, and swings.
- Scaffolding Boards: Scaffolding boards are another versatile material you can use for all sorts of things in your garden room. You can use them to make the walls, floor, roof, furniture, and shelving for your garden room.
- Reclaimed Bricks: You can use reclaimed bricks to add a touch of character to your garden room. Once you remove the mortar, reclaimed bricks can be used just as new bricks. You can build walls, pathways, raised beds, and fireplaces. You can also use them to make decorative bird baths or bird feeders for your garden room.
- Reclaimed windows: Reclaimed windows can add a unique, vintage charm to your garden room. You can use them for a variety of purposes. For example, you can make window walls, allowing plenty of natural light to enter the room. If you want to add a rustic touch to your garden room, you can make transom windows. Windowed doors or sliding doors can also be made using reclaimed windows. Lastly, you can use these windows as a decorative feature of your garden room.
3. Buying a Prefabricated Garden Room
If you don’t have the time or skills to build your own garden room, you can buy a prefabricated one. Prefabricated garden rooms are available in a variety of sizes and styles, so you’re sure to find one that suits your needs.
When choosing a prefabricated garden room, it’s important to consider the following factors:
- Size: Pick a garden room that is the right size for your needs. If you plan on using it as a home office, you’ll need a larger garden room than if you’re just using it for storage.
- Style: Prefabricated garden rooms are available in a range of styles, so choose one that matches the style of your home.
- Features: Consider the features that are important to you, such as insulation, double glazing, and electrical wiring.
- Price: Prefabricated garden rooms usually range around several thousand dollars. However, the prices can vary depending on the size, material, and features. Always set a budget before you start shopping, so you don’t overspend.
As I’ve mentioned in the article, getting quotes from different suppliers is always good for better buying decisions.
However, if you want to go cheaper, you can consider buying simpler structures such as a gazebo or a pergola. You can also look into garden sheds, which can also be a cost-effective solution.
Furnishing and Decorating Your Garden Room on a Budget
Once you’ve built or bought your garden room, you can’t go without decorating or furnishing it. There are plenty of ways to furnish and decorate your garden room on a budget.
Here are a few ideas:
1. Shop Around for Bargains
You can find great deals on furniture and accessories at second-hand stores, garage sales, and online retailers to help beautify your home garden.
2. Use Inexpensive Materials to Decorate Your Garden Room
Instead of using expensive materials like cedar or redwood, consider using less expensive materials like pressure-treated pine or recycled wood. Plus, you can save money by using salvaged materials, such as old windows and doors.
3. Build Your Own Garden Room Furniture
You can build your own garden room furniture using a variety of inexpensive materials, like pallets, scaffolding boards, and reclaimed wood. There are plenty of plans and tutorials available online.
4. Decorate Your Garden Room with Plants and Flowers
Plants and flowers are a wonderful way to add color and life to your garden room without spending a lot of money. You can decorate your garden room with your own plants or buy them from a nursery or garden center.
5. Repurpose Old Furniture for Your Garden Room
If you have old furniture you’re no longer using, you can repurpose it for your garden room. For instance, you could use an old coffee table as a garden bench or an old dresser as a storage unit.
6. Get Creative with Your Garden Room Accessories
You don’t need to spend a lot of money on accessories for your garden room. Get creative and make your own accessories, such as wind chimes, birdhouses, and flower pots.
Additional Tips for Saving Money on Your Garden Room
Check out the following tips to help you save money on your newest home addition in your garden.
1. Do Your Research
Before you start building or buying your garden room, it’s essential to do your research and compare prices. This will help you to find the best deal on materials and construction.
2. Get Quotes from Multiple Contractors
If you’re hiring a contractor to build your garden room in Scotland, get quotes from multiple contractors before you make a decision. This will help you to get the best possible price.
3. Be Flexible with Your Garden Room Design
If you’re on a tight budget, be flexible with your design. For example, you could choose a smaller garden room or a simpler design.
4. Build Your Garden Room in Stages
If you don’t have the money to build your garden room all at once, you can build it in stages.
That will allow you to spread the cost out over time.
With a bit of planning and creativity, you can create a beautiful and affordable garden room that you and your family will enjoy for years to come.
Do you want to have your very own garden room but are worried about spending too much money?
Well, fret not!
We’ve covered everything you need to know to build or get your own garden room for cheap.
Check out the points mentioned above.
All the best!