As we think of mulching, we usually picture cedar mulch or wood bark that covers plant beds. But do you know that you can get your mulching material from your grass clippings as well? Grass mulching involves cutting grass clippings into a nutrient-rich mulch made of tiny, super-fine grass particles.
The best part about using grass clippings? No more yard work! All you have to do is mow during warm weather when weeds start taking over again. You must be thinking, “what does Mulching grass do?” Please read the article to know about its benefits and peculiarities.
Don’t Discard Grass Clippings. Use Them As Mulch
Mowing a lawn is necessary to stimulate the grass of your lawn to the lushness and better health. However, do you know that by removing and discarding grass cuttings from your yard, you’re wasting a valuable resource?
All those grass clippings, when mulched, become an excellent nutrient source that helps improve soil quality and thickens your grass bed.
This mulch doesn’t cost a penny giving you a healthy green garden. Mulching the lawn and keeping it green is beneficial in terms of aesthetic appeal and its fertilizer value.
So, if you’re in the market for a new mulch, consider using grass clippings instead!
Not All Grass Clippings Can Be Used As Mulch
Grass clippings are one of the most overlooked but vital parts of maintaining a healthy lawn. However, you can’t use all the grass clippings cut through normal blades of a mower; rather, you have to mulch these clippings with a special type of blade.
Mulched grass clippings are a product of specially designed blades and an extra-large baffle system on special mowers that cut and recut grass clippings into super-fine, tiny, highly decomposable particles.
Now, these tiny particles act as an excellent ingredient in your garden’s fertilizer and are even added onto topsoil, where it will help maintain its fertility.
These small bits fall to lawn beds, where they decompose quickly, giving off nutrients. It is the best way by far to mulch with your yard making your greens grow thicker than ever before!
Another great way to use up all those cuttings from lawns or gardens is by adding them directly into potting soil.
Points To Consider When Using Grass Mulching
Here are few tips you have to keep in mind while mulching with your grass clippings.
1. Don’t Bag Your Grass Clippings
Leave grass clippings on the ground instead of bagging them after you mow so they can be fertilized.
2. Lay Neither Too Thick Nor Too Thin Layer
You should only lay the grass at a thickness of 1 – 4 inches (6 mm), so it can start to break down before it starts to stink or rot.
Thick layers tend to remain wet, which can create mold problems and promote decay. On the other hand, moderate side layers remain dry, and dried clippings are the best for vegetable crop side dressings.
3. Mulch In Late Fall Or Early Spring
The best time to mulch is in late fall or early spring and is a great way of getting extra nutrients into the soil.
4. Rake Grass Clippings
If grass clippings are forming clumps with a mower, rake them afterward for better separation and faster decomposition.
Mow Your Garden With Mulching Mowers
Mulch your lawn to keep it looking good and cutting down on sod production with a mower that has this useful feature. You can operate one without a discharge outlet, so the grass never leaves its deck. A specially shaped blade in a mulching mower chops up all those clumps into very small pieces.
It gives an even distribution throughout each section of ground you cut through. Unlike conventional mowers, this machine chops up grass clippings and pushes these particles down into playable turf instead of bagging them.
With mulching mowers, you can enjoy the perfect finish of your grass bed without any hassle or mess!
You can consider the best mulching lawnmower PowerSmart Push Lawn Mower Gas Powered and Sun Joe MJ403E 17-Inch 13-Amp Electric Lawn Mower/Mulcher. Both these products are available on amazon.
- 144cc 4-Cycle Gas Engine: with forced air cooling system, long running time, 21Inch steel mowing deck creates with high durability, 1.4 Bushels grass catcher capacity.
- Adjustable Cutting Depth: 5-position height adjustment which allows you to change the cutting height, cutting height can be adjusted between the range of 1.18 to 3.0 inch.
- 3-in-1 Lawn Mower: mulching capability allows you to spread grass clippings to the side, returning nutrients to your lawn so your grass can grow healthy and thick.
- Quick Folding: quickly folded without tools due to the foldable handle design. It can save space and keep your work house organized.
- Customer Satisfaction: covered with PowerSmart 2-year-warranty, free lifetime tech support, repair service center in U.S., online support in 24H. Any reason please contact with us.
- [POWERFUL]: 13-amp motor cuts a 17-inch wide path
- [HEIGHT CONTROL]: Tailor cutting Height with 7-position Height control
- [CONVERTIBLE]: Mulching + mowing function. Size of Yard - 1/4 - 1/2 Acre. No Load Speed (rpm)- 3500
- [GRASS COLLECTOR]: Detachable grass collection bag for easy disposal
- [LIGHTWEIGHT]: Weighs in at under 31 lbs
What Does Mulching Grass Do?
Instead of bagging grass clippings, mulch them as it has many benefits – a few of which are listed below.
1. Line Up Paths
You can line the paths in the garden with grass clippings. It will help prevent mud from getting onto exposed dirt areas of the ground and stop weeds from popping up where they don’t belong.
2. Provide Nutrients
Don’t discard your grass clipping; rather, mulch them as they can be a great nitrogen source, especially when added to a compost pile.
3. Reduce The Need For Fertilizer
Mulching is a great way to reduce the need for fertilizer.
4. Enrich Roots
The tiny grass particles will enrich the plants from the root system up through leafy tops, making them healthier.
5. Helps In Recycling
The grass clippings are organic matter that acts as a fertilizer and decompose within a week to provide nutrients to your lawn. It is far better than the mowers with plastic bags, which are not environmentally friendly.
6. Contains High Amount of Nitrogen
Turfgrass clippings contain high amounts of nitrogen, which is an essential ingredient for plants’ growth. These clippings break down quickly, adding nitrogen to the soil and promoting enhanced growth.
Additional benefits of Grass Mulching are:
- Cools the root zone
- Conserve moisture and reduces evaporation
- Add back up to 25 percent of the nutrients that growth removes from the soil.
Mulching Grass is the way to go if you want a healthy lawn with no plastic bags. Grass clippings provide free nutrients and eliminate the need for many types of outdoor weed control. So, in answer to “What mulching grass do,” we concluded that:
- A single pound of grass clippings could feed your lawn for an entire year.
- Grass Mulching saves money, time, reduces wastes and lawn thatch.
- Above all, it is environmentally friendly and gives a healthy lawn.
To find out more about grass mulching and lawn maintenance, please use the comment section below!