Weeds and Weed Killers
Are you having problems with uncontrolled weed growth? Weeds are stubborn and can invade flower beds, lawns, paths, borders, etc.
For a gardener, it is frustrating to watch all the hard work end in a messy garden. In a small area, it is possible to remove them manually.
However, in larger areas, traditional methods of weed removal will require both time and a lot of effort. Using the best weed killer that doesn’t kill grass is the best option in such a scenario.
- Weeds and Weed Killers
- What are Weed Killers?
- When to use Weed Killers?
- Types of Weed Killers
- How to Use Weed Killers?
- Things to Consider When Buying Weed Killers
- 7 Best Weed Killer That Doesn’t Kill Grass
- 1. Compare-N-Save Weed Killer
- 2. Roundup Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate Plus
- 3. Southern Ag Amine 24-D Weed Killer
- 4. Spectracide Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate
- 5. PBI/Gordon 652400 Speed Zone Lawn Weed Killer
- 6. Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer Concentrate
- 7. Scotts Halts Crabgrass & Grassy Weed Preventer
What are Weed Killers?
Weed killers are chemical-based herbicides that target different weeds in the best way without hurting other plants or grass. If you manage to find the right weed killer for specific weeds, then your job becomes easy.
These come in a lot of different varieties. Some are entirely herbal, while some contain toxic chemicals. You must take into account the size and location of the area and the type of weed that you want to get rid of.
When to use Weed Killers?
You can remove weeds in the following ways:
- By Hand: hold the weed close to the ground and pull it out with the roots. You can do this only if there are a few weeds, but it is not possible with widespread growth. It will also not work if the weeds are too deep-rooted.
- Fork out: dig and fork out the weeds with care to remove every small root without damage to the plants you want to keep. Weeds are stubborn, and any small part of the root may sprout into a new plant.
- Hoeing: Using a hoe blade to cut off the weeds is a good option, but this is not effective in wet weather. Hoeing may also bring the seeds of the weeds back to the surface.
- Mulching: by applying a thick layer of mulch to the soil can help in suppressing the weeds.
All these methods are limited in their functions and require a lot of time and effort on a user’s part. This is why weed killers are such a great option.
They are easy to use and very effective. Some selective weed killers act on specific weeds, and the results are excellent. For different types of soils and locations, you must use different types of weed killers.
Types of Weed Killers
- Pre-emergence: perennial weeds store energy in their roots in the fall season before they go dormant. Spraying these herbicides in early fall will prevent the weeds from storing energy. There are fewer chances of weeds re-emerging after winters.
- Post-emergence: these herbicides are used for weeds that have already germinated. Spraying this weed killer is most effective when the weeds are in the early stages and are yet to produce seeds.
- Selective: as the name suggests, they only kill specific weeds. They are suitable for large lawns and do not cause any damage to the grass. However, you must check before buying that there is no harm to the grass.
- Non-selective: they are also called wide spectrum herbicides and can kill almost any plant they contact. They are perfect for areas like pathways, sidewalks, driveways, etc.
- Contact: it starts to work as soon as the plants come in contact with this herbicide. These are perfect for killing annual weeds and are fast-acting.
- Systematic: this is a potent herbicide that can travel down to the roots even if applied on the leaves. They take time but are more methodical and kill the plants thoroughly.
- Residual: they create a barrier in the ground, which prevents the seed from germinating. They remain in the soil for months and control weed growth for a long time.
How to Use Weed Killers?
It is quite simple to use weed killers, but you must follow all instructions and directions provided on the cover for each product. You can spray the herbicide with:
- Water can: use an old watering can for applying weed killer in a controlled way. Remember to clean thoroughly or use a separate water can for watering other plants.
- Pressure sprayer: for larger areas, these sprayers are better. They come in a variety of designs. You can choose from chest or back-mounted or pull it behind you on wheels.
Things to Consider When Buying Weed Killers
Before selecting any herbicide, you need to consider a few things for effective weed management.
- Usually, you need to mix water with weed killers before spraying. Check the concentration level to understand how much do you need for your lawn or garden.
- There are different types of weed killers, and you should choose carefully so that there is no harm to the grass and plants.
- Some weed killers remain in the soil for months and can adversely affect plant growth and soil productivity.
- Check the area where you will use the weed killer and its proximity to other plants, people, animals, etc.
- How fast do you want the result? Some herbicides act very fast, while some take time to show results.
7 Best Weed Killer That Doesn’t Kill Grass
Weed killers are very effective in controlling weed infestations. However, you must choose carefully and also understand your needs correctly before making a choice.
Here is a list of 7 weed killers for you to choose from. Watch this video to understand how to use a weed killer.
1. Compare-N-Save Weed Killer
This product is excellent for large areas which contain a large number of weeds. It contains glyphosate, which makes it highly effective.
It inhibits plant enzymes that are necessary for grass or plant nourishment. Perennial weeds can be killed easily with this product, and their recurrence will not be a problem.
A very potent weed killer, and you must follow all instructions carefully and thoroughly to get the best results.
You can use about one gallon of this herbicide for approximately 25000 square feet. Dilute one gallon of the concentrate to produce about 85 gallons of liquid.
If you need faster results, you can make it a bit stronger by mixing a little more quantity of the N-save weed killer. It is perfect for large areas or hard surfaces like driveways, where you need to clear weeds completely. Its high solubility can be sprayed easily, and there are no residual effects on soil and plants.
- It leaves no adverse effect on the soil
- After spraying it becomes rainproof in hours
- Strong and effective herbicide at an affordable price
- More effective on larger weed-filled areas
Stubborn weeds don’t have a chance with this potent herbicide containing glyphosate. It is highly soluble and works effectively on weed removal.
2. Roundup Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate Plus
This product comes from a reputed brand which has a range of effective weed killers. It contains 18 percent glyphosate and another active ingredient called Diquat.
This is a potent mix and is a competent contact and systematic herbicide. It will kill the weeds quickly on the surface and also reach the root system preventing the roots from growing and spreading to surrounding areas.
After spraying, within 12 hours, you will notice the start of weed decay and death will occur within a couple of weeks. The FastAct technology of the product makes it super fast and highly effective.
It comes in a concentrated form, and you will need to mix it with water in the required proportion. About 16 oz can make up to 10 gallons of spray. This herbicide becomes rainproof just after 30 minutes of spraying.
- Effectively kills weeds with the two active ingredients
- Becomes rainproof in 30 minutes
- Results are visible just after 12 hours
- Though very useful, it is slightly more expensive
This is a fast-acting herbicide with two active ingredients. Works on the weed on the surface and on its root system to eradicate it completely.
3. Southern Ag Amine 24-D Weed Killer
This weed killer is one of the best selective types of herbicide. The product will attack weeds like broadleaf, poison ivy, chickweed, etc. selectively and kill them.
As it is a selective herbicide, it will not harm the grass and will only kill the weeds. You can mix about 2 to 3 tablespoons of this concentrate with approximately 4 to 5 gallons of water.
In all, you can cover about 20000 square feet area. If you find that the weeds are too stubborn and don’t die after the first application, you can use less water to make the liquid more potent.
You can use this product in lawns, pastures, etc. wherever you have grass growing, which you don’t want to be damaged. It is best to apply this as a low-pressure spray for more effect.
- Best for killing weeds without any damage to grass
- Low economical use rate makes it affordable
- Easy to use with and manual or mechanical sprayers
- Most tough weeds can be killed with this product but not all
This herbicide does a great job of only killing weeds without harming the grass on your lawn. It is very effective, and even with a little quantity, you get good coverage.
4. Spectracide Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate
If you face weed infestation on a large scale and in a large area, you must use this product. Weeds absorb the herbicide through their leaves, and it reaches the deepest roots.
This product comes in a 3.78-liter pack, and there is no need to add water to it when dealing with stubborn weeds. Otherwise, you can add water to the required proportion.
You get rapid destruction after using this product within a few hours. It is beneficial for fast-growing weeds like dandelions, ivy, etc.
You must be careful while using it because it is non-selective and can kill plants and grass, which you don’t want to. This is a problem during windy conditions when the herbicide can spread to other areas. It is beneficial in small spaces like walkways, driveways, etc.
- Perfect for areas like walkways, patios, along the fence
- Becomes rainproof within 15 minutes of application
- Starts to work in 3 hours and will kill the weeds in 24 hours
- It is not very effective in shady areas
This herbicide is a ready-to-use weed killer with no strong chemical smells. Rainfall or watering after 15 minutes of its application will not take away its effectiveness.
5. PBI/Gordon 652400 Speed Zone Lawn Weed Killer
This product comes in a small pack but is exceptionally useful in large areas. This herbicide can cover large areas between 12000 and 18000 square feet.
3 tablespoons of this liquid concentrate per gallon of water will be enough. However, if you are struggling with stubborn weeds, you may change the ratio to make it stronger and repeat the application after a couple of days.
Depending on the weed density, you may have to apply more than a few times. It acts quickly, and you can see the result in a day or two.
This is a cold-weather herbicide. The standard application of this weed killer will only affect the plant’s leaves and not affect the soil. It is possible to reseed and replant in the area in about two weeks.
- Can be used in large areas as well as small target areas
- Does not harm the soil or grass
- Rapid and effective action
- Can burn the grass when applied in hot weather
This effective and fast-acting herbicide will get rid of even the most stubborn weeds in your garden. It acts on the weeds but will not affect the soil, and you can reseed within 2 weeks.
6. Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer Concentrate
This is a non-selective herbicide and is highly effective at killing weeds of all kinds. An all-rounder product takes care of both pre-emergent and post-emergent weeds equally well.
Once you apply the chemical, very soon, you will notice the shrinking and wilting of leaves. Moreover, the liquid also reaches the root system, and this ensures that the complete weed plant dies, and there is no way it can again sprout.
Once killed, the weeds will not grow in the treated area for up to 12 months or maybe even more. If there is continuous heavy rainfall, then it is recommended that you apply the herbicide once in 6 months.
A 2-gallon pack is enough for an area of approximately 600 square feet. The two active ingredients in this product are glyphosate and imazapyr.
- Long-lasting and effective for a long time
- Kills the weeds and prevents new ones from growing
- Great for hard surfaces like walkways, pathways, and patios
- Due to its nature, you will get limited coverage
Ortho GroundClear is an effective weed killer and will clear the ground for you to plant what you want to. It works as both a weed killer and a weed preventer.
7. Scotts Halts Crabgrass & Grassy Weed Preventer
This herbicide is a bit different from the products listed here. It targets pre-emergent weeds and does its job very efficiently.
When you apply this weed killer, it will not kill any grass or flowers already established in your garden but stop weeds from sprouting. It can stop stubborn weeds like henbit, chickweed, crabgrass, etc. in their pre-emergent state.
You can get this product in different sized packs, covering areas starting from 5000 to 15000 square feet. You will need to apply the product twice a year with a gap of at least 3 months between two applications.
It is an all-weather herbicide, and you can use it spring, fall, or winter. This is a potent herbicide, and it comes as a granular, no-mix product. It is entirely hassle-free to apply it.
- Affordable pricing
- Effectively stops weeds from germinating
- Easy to use and apply
- You have to wait for 4 months before planting any other plants or grass
This herbicide is very easy to handle, as it is dry and granular. It is very potent, and for its price, it is worth it. You can use it in any season, and it is equally effective all year round.
Who does not want to see their garden full of plants and grass that they love? Unfortunately, weeds can spoil a garden’s looks and make the other plants unhealthy and weak. Weed killers help in controlling weeds and maintaining a healthy lawn.
When selecting an herbicide, you must consider the type of weeds you want to kill, weather, size of the area, and ease of application. Information about all these factors will help you choose a good product.
We are sure that you will find the most suitable weed killer with the information we have shared. Depending on your needs, you can select any product listed here.
We think that the Compare-N-Save Weed Killer is the best because it has no adverse effect on the soil and is very effective on weeds. Choose this product for better coverage and great results.
Feel free to contact us for any doubts or feedback. We will be happy to help you in any way we can.