A pulling lawn mower is a common term used for tractor-pulled lawn mowers. It is more of an attachment linked to the rear end of a tractor.
Suppose you love a DIY project and want to save cost on buying any heavy-duty equipment, then learn how to make a pulling lawn mower with our guide. The lawn mower attachment is usually mounted on either the left or the right side of the tractor’s back.
These attachments can work just similar to a manual push cylindrical lawn mower. Or in other cases, the attachment might also have blades powered by a battery or fuel.
A pulling lawn mower makes work very easy and efficient to mow large areas. They are also widely used in landscaping and roadside maintenance. Follow our helpful guide to learn how to make a pulling lawn mower.
How Does a Pulling Lawn mower Work?
Using a manual lawn mower can be very strenuous physical labor, and it can take a lot of time and energy. Especially if you have larger grounds to cover, a normal lawn mower can affect your work efficiency. Even if you have a battery or diesel-powered lawn mower, it still takes time to cover a large piece of ground.
To overcome this nuisance, you can use a pulling lawn mower. A pulling lawn mower or a pull behind a lawn mower includes a lawn mower attachment to the back of a tractor. It makes the work very easy and efficient and saves a lot of time.
If you dread mowing your land and the expensive heavy-duty machinery is making you sweat, do not worry. We will help keep you on budget and teach you how to make a pulling lawn mower with super easy instructions.
How to Make a pulling Lawn mower
Cutting and trimming the grass should be a satisfying process rather than feeling like a hassle. If you have a suitably powered mower, this task can go very smoothly without any trouble. Follow these simple steps to DIY and learn how to make a pulling lawn mower.
Items You Will Need
- Garden Tractor
- A New or old lawn mower
- Safety gear
- Towing chains and clamps
- Floating hitch allows the mower to contour to the ground for an even cut no matter the terrain
- High-grade steel and heat-treated blades for longer service life
- 3 blades cut and chop materials before discharging from the back
- Rear discharge eliminates grass buildup in uncut areas
- Four solid wheels with adjustable height settings
- Durability: Made from Hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V)
- Corrosion-Resistant: Chrome Plated & Mirror Polished
- Easy Storage: A sturdy plastic storage case is included.
- Include: Ratchet Drive, Open Wrench, Drive Bit Holder, Spinner Handler, Sockets, Screw Bits, Extension Bar and Adaptor
- Both Metric and English sizes are included, Made in Taiwan
- DESIGNED FOR SAFETY AND EASE OF USE - Forged Grade 70 8 inch towing j-hook is very strong and ideal for smaller cars, sports cars and low clearance vehicles. The t hook and 4 inch j hook cluster are designed to fit into almost every domestic or imported frame hole.
- STRONG AND DURABLE - Heavy duty, certified 5/16 inch Grade 70 chains and factory welded coupling links for extra strength and long service life.
- SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR FLATBED AND TOW TRUCK OPERATORS - 5/16 inch forged grab hook on the end provides precise chain length adjustment.
- INDUSTRIAL GRADE COMPONENTS - End #1: Forged Grade 70 8 inch j hook; End #2: Grade 70 5/16 inch forged grab hook, Grade 70 forged 4 inch j hook and alloy t hook.
- SAFE AND COMPLIANT - The tow chain with tow hooks has a safe working load of 4,700 pounds. All Vulcan towing products meet all CVSA and DOT specifications, and comply with NACM recommendations. You will be compliant for any roadside inspection, and you can work with confidence using Vulcan products - a name you can trust.
Before you begin any project, the first thing you need to do is take all safety precautions. Wear safety gloves and goggles to protect you from any potential injuries.
Gather all of the required tools and equipment and begin with your project. You need to start your tractor and take it for a test drive to ensure it is running smoothly. Once you have ensured the tractor is in a good state and working perfectly, you may proceed.
Park your tractor on a flat open surface and turn the engine off. Do not leave your tractor in the ignition. Ensure that the engine is shut off and the tractor is parked properly. Pull the handbrakes of the tractor to ensure the tractor does not roll over.
Once the tractor has been parked carefully, you can proceed with the next step.
If your tractor already has an attachment linked on its rear end, you need to remove it. Unhook and remove any attachments to your tractor and store them away safely. Once the attachments are removed, take your lawn mower, and attach it to the tractor.
If you buy a new lawn mower attachment specially made for a pulling lawn mower, then the work is very easy. All you need to do is attach the lawn mower to the back of the tractor. The lawn mower will already have a hook attached at the end of a long arm, which can easily be linked to the tractor. Just put the hook in, make sure it is secure, and you are ready to use your pulling lawn mower.
In the second scenario, if you are trying to stay on budget and not invest in a new lawn mower, we have got just the trick. You can repurpose your old lawn mower by attaching it to the tractor. Use some towing chains and clamps to attach the handlebar and frame of the lawn mower to the tractor. It should work perfectly fine.
Important note: If you are attaching a regular lawn mower to your tractor, be careful as they are not built as attachments. Use a sturdy frame and some strong clamps and chains to attach the mower and ensure it is secure. The lawn mower should not be wobbling around or rolling over.
If the lawn mower is not attached properly, it may result in serious accidents causing injuries. Before mowing with your newly made pulling lawn mower, take it for a test drive and make sure everything is working properly. Ensure that the tractor is in sync with the lawn mower. Do not go too fast.
With these very simple and easy steps, your pulling lawn mower is ready to be used. You can easily trim the grass and weeds from your land without any manual labor or expenses. Just go at a normal pace and let your pulling lawn mower work its charm as you go.
Drive-in vertical lines, going back and forth to increase the efficiency and speed up your work.
Maintenance is very important to ensure that your equipment runs smoothly and efficiently. We have enlisted some helpful tips on maintaining your tractor and lawn mower.
- Regularly change your oil and clean your fuel tank.
- If you are using an old lawn mower to make your pulling lawn mower, it is recommended to use a diesel power mower rather than a battery-powered one. A battery-powered mower is not very suitable as the battery can deplete very quickly to cover large areas. Charging and replacing the battery can be a hassle and quite costly.
- Diesel-powered mowers are more heavy-duty, and they can last longer. You can also refuel them very easily.
- If you are not going to use your mower for a while or take breaking between mowing for more than 30 days, add a fuel stabilizer. Before storing away the mower, drain all the fuel from the tank and clean the fuel tank.
- Keep the blades of your lawn mower sharpened and cleaned thoroughly. The blades tend to wear down throughout usage, and they can also get misplaced and distorted. If not taken care of, this may cause serious damage to the equipment and cause accidents.
- If you had your mower stored away and sitting idle in the winter season, it is suggested to fog the engine before using it again. Over time, the lubricants can drain out of the engine, and the moisture and humidity in the air can also cause rust and corrosion.
- Thoroughly cleaning the mower is essential to its performance as the mower is constantly exposed to dirt and debris. Sometimes a small rock or debris can clog and jam the mower. Please keep it clean to avoid any nuisance.
A pulling lawn mower can increase the efficiency and effectiveness of your work by manifolds. Mowing small lawns is no hassle, but larger grounds can be a lot of work. To ease your problem, we have elaborately discussed how to make a pulling lawn mower and maintain it properly.
For any queries or feedback, refer to the comments below!