Do you find preparing the garden beds tedious? Every Spring or Autumn, gardeners get ready to till the soil and get it ready to plant and sow.
Though I love gardening, this is one job that I am not very fond of. Using a spade can be back-breaking, and I ended up hiring a person to do it for me. I had to pay him a lot of money.
Moreover, I was not happy with his efforts. This was when someone told me about electric tillers. It has rotating blades that can loosen the compact soil and mix compost into the soil.
Once you have worked with the best electric tillers, you will never want to return to an ordinary spade again.
- Electric Tiller
- What Can An Electric Tiller Do?
- Why Use An Electric Tiller?
- Types of Electric Tillers
- Other Features to Consider While Buying an Electric Tiller
- Best Electric Tillers
What Can An Electric Tiller Do?
Do you have a small or medium-sized garden? If the answer is yes, you know that you need to prepare the soil for a new planting. An electric tiller will help you with this and much more.
- Breaking Ground: you can easily tear up last year’s remains, add mulch apart from plowing through hard, compact soil, which is to be used for new projects.
- Weeding: if you want the plants and the garden to be healthy, you need to keep them free of weeds. A small electric tiller allows you to pull out this unwanted growth.
- Tending: even an existing garden requires attention regularly. With an electric tiller, you can turn the soil’s top levels and ensure the proper distribution of nutrients.
- Composting: using an electric tiller is the best way to mix and turn up the compost heap. It can redistribute the worms, heat, and all the materials thoroughly.
Why Use An Electric Tiller?
There are many types of tillers ranging from manual, gas, electric, and battery operated. We are talking about electric tillers here and the reasons why they can be of a good choice are:
- They are light in weight, thus making them easy to carry around in the garden
- Electric tillers are quite small in size and take up less storage space
- Small tines on the tiller are ideal for weeding and cultivating the spaces between plants with very little risk of any damage.
- Compared to gas-powered tillers, they require less maintenance and care
- They are better than manual tillers, especially for older people or people with back problems.
Types of Electric Tillers
Deciding which type of electric tiller that will be suitable for your needs depends on your requirement. The kind of work you want to do and your garden’s size will determine how much power is required. There are mainly two types of electric tillers.
- Corded: depending on the garden’s size, you may need an extension cord, but otherwise, it is quite easy to use.
- You need to plug it in and switch it on.
- The tasks you can accomplish with a corded electric tiller can include aeration, weeding, etc., apart from digging up the soil.
- The only limitation here is the length of the cord. It works well in small gardens where the area is smaller.
- Most corded electric tillers can help you with other jobs in the garden as well.
- Cordless: cordless electric tillers are easy to use and allow the gardeners to work more freely.
- These use a battery that is charged before the tool is used.
- Most such tillers can work for about 45 minutes with one charge. They are:
- Low maintenance
Lithium-ion batteries are the most commonly used power source for these tillers. If your garden is big or requires tilling in different areas, a cordless electric tiller is perfect.
Other Features to Consider While Buying an Electric Tiller
Some other features that you should keep in mind while deciding on an electric tiller
- Width: wider tilling attachments means lesser trips up and down, and you can finish your work faster.
- Some electric tillers have a width of up to 16 inches.
- This is perfect for the fresh ground, but with flower or vegetable beds, this may not work, and you will need something narrower.
- Some electric tillers have a width of up to 16 inches.
- Depth: choose a tiller that has variable digging depth.
- For basic garden maintenance, about 5 inches of depth is enough.
- However, if you want more power and want to clear compact soil, then you may need a tool that can go up to 10 inches.
- Mobility: if you use the tiller’s tines to push or pull it around, you will soon damage it. Wheels are great for mobility and easy portability.
- Safety: Safety is of prime importance when it comes to any electronic gadgets. Look for safety ‘lock-on buttons’ or ‘dead man’s handle,’ which can stop the motor immediately if something goes wrong.
- Weight: most electric tillers are not very heavy, and some even have wheels, so weight is not a significant issue. However, if you have back problems or any other specific problems, you should check the weight.
- Price: corded electric tillers are cheaper than cordless ones, but you cannot choose only based on price.
- As the power and capacity increase, so will the price.
- Electric tillers range from less than a hundred dollars to 500 dollars and even more depending on the brand, power, and other features.
Best Electric Tillers
Once you decide to buy an electric tiller, you also need to learn more about them before making the final selection. Here is a list of the top 6 products for you to choose from. Watch this video to learn more
1.Earthwise TC70016 16-Inch 13.5-Amp Corded Electric Tiller
Everything that you need to prepare your garden for planting or maintaining it is possible with this tool. The Earthwise TC 70016 is a two-in-one tool and works as a tiller as well as a cultivator.
It has several great features, which makes it one of the best options. 6 adjustable tines in this tool make it versatile and multipurpose.
Its width can be adjusted between 11 and 16 inches, and you can go up to a depth of 8 inches. The complete tool measures 40 by 19 by 42 inches.
You will find it easy to store and carry around. There is an ergonomic handle that is soft and comfortable on the hands.
You can start it quickly just by pushing the start button. It is an entirely no-fuss tool and does not require too much maintenance.
You may think of it as a lightweight tiller, but it has a powerful 13.5-amp motor. Tending your backyard or doing more heavy-duty work can be efficiently accomplished.
This lightweight electric tiller is perfect for people with small gardens wanting to keep their flower beds in top condition. It is powerful enough to do the job yet not cumbersome. Easy to carry around and store when needed.
2. Mantis 7250-00-03 Electric Tiller
Mantis is a well-known brand in the garden tools sector, and all its tools feature among the best in their categories. This electric tiller is no different, with its many great features.
At 21 pounds, it is one of the smallest electric tillers you may find in the market. However, with its 3-speed, 540-watt motor, it is also very powerful.
The tines are well-designed and have a width of 9 inches, allowing you to take the tiller into tight spaces.
If you want to go deep, the uniquely designed, curvy tines can go down to 10 inches. When you want to do some shallow cultivation, all you need to do is turn the tines around.
This tiller starts instantly and is super quiet while running. Its electric engine is 2-stroke, with 115 V double-insulated ¾ hp and a 540 W circuit breaker.
This corded electric tiller is easy to transport and store thanks to its folding feature.
This electric tiller from Mantis is perfect for smaller gardens where the soil is not densely compacted. It works wonderfully in the right conditions. Weighing only 21 pounds and foldable as well, it makes for a compact yet powerful tiller.
3. Troy-Bilt TB154E 6 Amp Electric Garden Cultivator
The Troy-Bilt electric cultivator and tiller are easy to use and handle. It has a 6.5-amp electric motor, which runs efficiently and fast. 4 forward-rotating 8-inch tines can quickly turn soil up to 5 inches in depth with a total of 8 blades.
You can adjust the tines’ width according to your requirement and set it between 6 and 9 inches. This lets you work in narrow areas between plants comfortably.
Moreover, the tines have an advanced 3-way design that can dig, turn, and tear the soil. Anyone can use this tool because it is light in weight and has user-friendly features.
Its heavy-duty gearbox works effectively and offers durability. With sturdy transport wheels, it is easy to maneuver this tool around the garden.
You may find it perfect for tilling and aerating small or mid-sized gardens. A 2-year limited warranty backs this product, but you will not have any problem with it.
The Troy-Bilt electric tiller and cultivator has many great features to make it a good option. Easy to use and handle, it offers versatility and power without any problem. Though it is a corded tool, you will find it very useful with the right extension cords.
4. Sun Joe TJ603E 16-Inch 12-Amp Electric Tiller and Cultivator
This corded tiller is perfect for carrying out heavy-duty work in the garden. Sun Joe makes a variety of power tools, especially those used in the gardens.
With a 12-amp electric motor, it is much more powerful than many of the more expensive models. Its tiller head is 16 inches wide and works well in large areas.
The blades can reach a depth of 8 inches if required. Extra-hard steel is used for making the blades, which are durable and can dig well. The blades slice through the soil at 340 RPM and ensure maximum aeration.
Weighing at about 27.1 pounds, it is not very light but remains stable while in use. The handles of this tool are ergonomically designed and can be collapsed while storing.
All these features make this tiller and cultivator make a good buying option for home gardeners. You also get a 2-year limited guarantee when you buy it, which is what most good brands offer.
- The 12-amp electric motor is powerful and efficient
- The collapsible handle is ergonomically made
- It has a wide tiller head that can cover 16 inches of soil
- Though powerful, it is not suitable for very large projects.
With a powerful electric motor and a wide tiller head, you will find it convenient to use the Sun Joe Tiller and Cultivator in your garden. It works well even on compact soil apart from turning or tearing soil for new planting.
5. Greenworks 10-Inch 40V Cordless Cultivator
Designed and constructed with high-quality materials and under strict quality control, the Greenworks cordless cultivator and tiller are durable and dependable.
It can make your work in the garden easy and that in an environment-friendly way. There is no hassle of spilling gas or worries about extension cords. It’s adjustable four, 8-inch tines can go as wide as 10 inches and narrow it down to 8.25 inches.
The depth can also be adjusted up to 5 inches. Even in tough areas, it offers smooth and stable tilling thanks to the large 6-inch rear wheels and great gear drive transmission.
There are some good safety features like the Easy Start 2-Step Switch, which prevents accidental starts and eliminates the difficulty to manage pull cords.
40 V 2 AH Lithium-ion battery is powerful and performs consistently at a highly efficient level. It can run approximately for 40 to 45 minutes on one full charge. You get a fade-free performance, and after a recharge, there is no memory loss.
Weighing only 21 pounds, the Greenworks cultivator and tiller is a dependable piece of equipment for any yard work. With its high performing and powerful Lithium-ion battery, it offers a fuss-free tilling experience to the user.
6. AAVIX AGT307 Electric Tiller/Cultivator
A well-designed tiller and cultivator with several great features, the AAVIX AGT307 is an ideal electric tiller choice for people who want both good quality and affordable price.
This tiller is quite effective for loosening soil and dense clay, with its powerful motor doing a fine job. The tines spin fast and allow the blades to go through the tough garden areas without once getting stuck.
An attractive tool to look at, this tool’s handles are very comfortable and hardly vibrate when in use. All in all, you get a wonderful experience while working with it and don’t feel tired or fatigue.
You can easily transport it around the garden thanks to its adjustable wheels that you can raise or lower as per your requirement. While turning the soil, it is better to pull it backward.
With a reliable electric motor, this tiller can do the job not only quickly but also efficiently. The tines are made of hard steel and can tear up the soil in no time. You can use it to break fresh ground or turn over beds, and its 120 volts, 60-hertz motor will do the job.
When you decide to buy any tool, you must look at the options available and compare the features to see which one is best. Your requirement is also an essential factor to consider.
Without knowing this, you will not be able to buy the most suitable equipment. It is the same with electric tillers. We think that the information we have shared here will help you in making the right decision.
Though all the products listed are great, we believe that the Earthwise TC70016 16-Inch 13.5-Amp Corded Electric Tiller is the best.
It is powerful, efficient, and easy to use. However, keep in mind all the essential factors before selecting an electric tiller. If you find the information useful, please share it with others.
Contact us if you have any suggestions or query and we will be happy to get back to you. Buy the best and most suitable electric tiller for your garden to keep it looking great.