What Is A Hedge Shear?
A gardener without hedge shears is like an artist without his favorite detailing paintbrush! Shears are an essential tool for all landscapers and gardeners.
These are used to prune and maintain hedges, shrubs, and bushes. Trimming hedges is a tedious job, especially if you don’t have the right tool.
Hedge shears are more versatile than you think! You can take care of delicate gardening situations and also try out topiary with the best hedge shears.
- What Is A Hedge Shear?
- Why Use Hedge Shears?
- Types of Hedge Shears
- How Do You Find Good Hedge Shears?
- Best Way to Use Hedge Shears
- Cleaning Hedge Shears
- Sharpening Hedge Shears
- Best Hedge Shears For Your Garden
- 1. Okatsune Precision Hedge Shears
- 2. Tabor Tools B620a Hedge Shears
- 3. Fiskars 91696935J Telescoping Power-Lever Hedge Shears
- 4. Corona HS 3950 Extendable Hedge Shear
- 5. ARS 28- to 41-1/2-Inch Hedge Shears
- 6. FLORA GUARD 26 Inch Professional Extensible Hedge Shears
- 7. A.M. Leonard 9-inch Wavy Blade Hedge Shears
- 8. Gonicc Professional Adjustable 33″+ 13″ Hedge Shears
- 9. Thanos Hedge Shears
- 10. OARA Garden Hedge Shears
Hedge shears are used for cutting and snipping several small branches at the same time. It is like a haircut for the hedge! They are very similar to pruning shears but are more heavy-duty.
They can generally cut about ½ inch thickness of the wood. They are like large scissors and come in different lengths. They can have different handles
- Wood handles
- Rubber handles
- Metal handles
And different types of blades
- Straight edges
- Curved blade
- Serrated blade
- Wavy blade
If you have to cover large areas and more than shape, it is cutting, that is your priority, then, you can try electric or gas-powered shears. The right shears will make all the difference between a so-so garden and an incredible one!
Here in this review of the best 10 products, our focus is on hand hedge shears. It is the most common and more affordable shears. Hedge shears are a must for people who have a garden and like to do things o their own.
Why Use Hedge Shears?
Trimming the hedges is not only meant as a beautifying step but is also essential for the growth of hedge. When you cut off the new shoots, it makes the hedge more dense and full. If you let it grow without control, it will grow in a skinny way.
More branches and less of leaves! It can leave your hedge looking quite ugly. With hedge shears, you can give a good outline and manicured look to the hedges. There are mainly three uses of hedge shears.
1. Hedge Maintenance
Like any other tool, they come in all types of price ranges. You can choose one according to your budget.
If you already own several tools, you may not be ready to get a brush cutter, but remember that this tool is different. This is a multi-purpose tool and can even do the work of the majority of the gardening kits you have.
Brush cutters are expensive, but they are worth it. This device can do the work of several tools and more effectively as well. Look for a brush cutter that is compatible with other attachments.
2. Pruning Plants
Depending on the plants you have, you will have to cut them back in early spring. You don’t have to be very precise, and shears can work well.
Cutting soft and dead tissue is not very difficult. But if you need to cut hard bits, then you may need bigger shears.
3. Yearly Upkeep
Gardeners know that annual maintenance is essential for the right growth of plants. You have to cut, prune and deadhead overgrown plants.
Types of Hedge Shears
Most traditional home gardeners feel that manual hedge shears are the best as long as the work is modest. It will be good exercise for your arms and upper body!
Gardeners know that annual maintenance is essential for the right growth of plants. You have to cut, prune and deadhead overgrown plants.
- Gas-powered – You can use these anywhere because there is no cord.
- They are more powerful and can handle tough jobs. You can cut thicker branches. They produce more noise and have more weight.
- They also require a lot of maintenance. If you have to carry out one or two major projects, then getting it on rent is better.
- Electric – These are quieter and less polluting.
- These are lighter in weight and easy to carry around. For most home gardeners, it is precisely the right choice.
- Its area could be limited due to the cord connection. It may not be as powerful as a gas-powered one, but it is quite useful when you are short of time, or your body is not up to it.
These are quieter and less polluting. These are lighter in weight and easy to carry around. For most home gardeners, it is precisely the right choice.
Its area could be limited due to the cord connection. It may not be as powerful as a gas-powered one, but it is quite useful when you are short of time, or your body is not up to it.
- Manual or Hand Hedge Shears – These are the best option for any gardening enthusiast who loves taking care of his hedge and plants with his own hands. In most homes with a hedge, you will find these shears. They are affordable and easy to use.
How Do You Find Good Hedge Shears?
There are many factors which you need to keep in mind while selecting hedge shears. Let us take a look at some of the important ones.
- Size and Weight – It would be best if you used the tool for cutting, and many times, it involves reaching up, so the tool’s weight is essential. If it is too heavy, you will get tired, and if it is too light, it may not do the job well. You must hold and check the shears to see what suits you.
- Handles – Types of handles will also affect the weight of the tool. Aluminum and fiberglass handles are light, while steel and wood handles are more substantial. You must also check them for a comfortable hold.
- Blade – You could go for short or long blades depending on the work to be done. The length can be between 6 to 12 inches. Mainly you will find these types of blades.
- Straight: most are made from forged steel. These can be easily sharpened by hand, with a millstone. It is best if the blades touch only at the point of cutting. It reduces friction.
- Serrated: there can be serrations on or both blades. It is beneficial when you need to grip and cut stems or twigs larger than a quarter inch.
- Wavy: these have a good grip and prevent them from sliding and slipping. Sharpening them requires a professional’s help.
- Non-stick: some tools come with a non-stick coating on the blades. It prevents rusting, and cleaning is easy.
- Cutting Efficiency – Some tools have a gear mechanism to help you cut larger twigs. Though most shears will not cut more than 1 inch in diameter, some have a notch in the blade, which can increase the cutting capacity.
- Easy to Use – Cushioned and comfortable handles are a must; otherwise, you will not be able to work for long. Some shears also have shock-absorbing bumpers where the handles meet. It gives relief to your arms. Always check the way shear cuts to see how smooth the action is.
- Spare Parts – Some brands offer replacement parts like blades, handles, or other components. With some tools, even if one small part is damaged, you have to discard the device.
- Cost – How much you pay will mainly depend on your budget. Hedge shears are available for as low as 20 dollars and can go up to 125 dollars or more. Best brands and better quality always comes with a higher price tag.
Best Way to Use Hedge Shears
Hedge shears allow you to keep the hedges, plants, and bushes well-trimmed and neat. Here is how you can use them. Watch this video for more information.
- Before starting, check that the tool is working correctly and is in good condition.
- You have to use them like scissors but with two hands
- Always start with small cuts. Making a big cut can make a plant go out of shape
- After cutting, check the branches for precision and neatness of the cuts.
- If it does not look neat, then you need to sharpen the blade.
- After cutting, clean the blades thoroughly. Dry them to avoid rust or corrosion
- You can clean them with vinegar and then store them in a dry place.
Cleaning Hedge Shears
It is one tool that probably all gardeners have, but not everyone keeps them clean. Hedge shears need to be cleaned well after every use. Here are a few things you can do to keep them clean
- Remove all soil from the shears
- Use water to remove any stuck soil or dirt
- Take a scrubber or brush to scrape the leaves, soil, or any other debris off the blades.
- Don’t use sandpaper as it can damage the blade
- Take some cleaning solution and use a rag to wipe the blades
- Dry the blades with a soft cloth
- Now, make a mixture of water and bleach. Rub it on the blades. Leave it for about 5 min
- Wipe the blades dry completely with a cloth
Sharpening Hedge Shears
You want your tools to last long, especially if they are expensive. With hedge shears, you can do a few things to keep in good condition for a long time.
One of the essential parts of any hedge shears is the blades. Let us see how you can sharpen the blades. Always wear sturdy gloves before you start sharpening.
- The first thing you should do is check the pivot bolt, which connects the bolt. If it is loose, then tighten it. Use a spanner to make sure it is correctly tightened
- Carefully check the blade to make sure they are straight. If there are any bends or curves, you will have to loosen the pivot bolt and remove the blades.
- Use a vise grip to make sure the blades are completely straight.
- Now, thoroughly clean the blades. Remove all dust, soil, and debris.
- Now use a mill file to sharpen. Wear safety goggles to protect your eyes.
- Mark the cutting areas on the blades. Fix it on the vise grip.
- Move the mill file over the blade in one direction.
- Now repeat for the other blade.
- Once blades are sharp, apply oil on the blades. This will protect them from rusting.
Best Hedge Shears For Your Garden
The right question to ask would be, which one is best for me? You need to know why you need hedge shears!
Do you need something lightweight which you will use occasionally, or you want something sturdy for regular use? Understanding your needs will help you in finding the best product for you.
All the products listed here are excellent and have a lot of features. Read the details to learn more about these.
1. Okatsune Precision Hedge Shears
These shears are high precision and handy shears. When you use them, you get clean and smooth cuts. There is no crushing of the stems.
This is because its blades are made of ‘Izumo Yasuki Steel’ which is hammer-forged. This is the same steel used to make Japanese swords known for their sharpness and strength.
The steel is tempered to a rating of 60 on the Rockwell scale. People who have used it describe it as using a hot knife on butter. It is effortless to cut with these fantastic shears.
The blades are 7 and 5/8 inches in length, and the total length of the shears is 22 inches. They only weigh 1 pound and 12 ounces. Its handles are made of Japanese white oak and are very smooth and comfortable to hold.
It is worth the money you spend on it. The blades are sharp, but if they start to blunt after prolonged use, you can easily sharpen them with the sharpening stone of the same brand.
After using these shears, you will notice that your hedge looks better, and you don’t have to go back to give any finishing touches. You will start getting compliments from people about your fences.
These are of high quality, and professional gardeners use them all the time, even in Japan. The blades are handy, and you will not feel any pain or fatigue after using these shears.
- Sharp blades made with high-quality steel.
- Smooth handles with an exceptional finish
- Easy to use and lightweight
- Though very high quality, it is quite an expensive product
One of the best hedge shears that you will find in the market. This product has sharp blades, smooth handles, and overall high quality.
2. Tabor Tools B620a Hedge Shears
These shears have a lot of great features which make them one of the best! Its blades have a wavy design, which results in precise cuts. Wavy blades are suitable for trimming to the tip and result in sharp cuts.
These blades have a better grip, and don’t let the twig you want to cut slip out. The handles are made of steel and are durable.
These are quite strong and have non-slip grips with excellent shock absorption. You do not feel any pain in your arms while cutting. Steel does make it a bit heavy, but you will not feel it because of the way it is perfectly balanced.
The shears have shock-absorbing bumpers. They will prevent any vibration or jarring, which may cause arm and shoulder pain.
Along with a comfortable grip, this feature will make this an easy tool to use. It is both balanced as well as powerful. One great feature is that you can adjust the blade tension and choose the most suitable setting according to what you are cutting.
There is a flower-shaped pivot bolt that you can twist and adjust according to the plants. The blades are made of carbon steel and have a coating for great results.
When you cut with the blades, you get clean and precise cuts. The company is proud of its products, and it shows in its customer service. They believe in reliability and trustworthiness. If there is any problem, they respond quickly.
- Sturdy steel handles with non-slip grips.
- Wavy blades for more secure grips and precise cuts
- Adjustable blade tension and shock-absorbing bumpers on handles
- The blade can become blunt quickly and even start to rust if not stored properly.
Hedge shears with a lot of great features to make gardening more enjoyable! You will get clean cuts and comfortable hold with these shears.
3. Fiskars 91696935J Telescoping Power-Lever Hedge Shears
With these shears, you get two in one cutting power. They have telescopic handles, which means they can extend. Depending on what you want to cut and at what length, you can keep the handles short or stretch them.
You can increase the length from 24 and ¼ inches to 31 1/8 inches. The length of the blade is 10 inches. It is easy to reach through dense shrubs and cut easily.
It has serrated blades that are good for cutting certain hard twigs. They have a tougher grip and don’t let any branch slip away. These blades can self-sharpen while you use them. This is patented technology and a great feature.
You will get twice the cutting power with its power-level technology and find all gardening and landscaping jobs easy to manage. The handles are made of steel and have a soft, non-slip grip.
The 10 inch blades are very sharp, and all types of cutting, be it flowers, bushes, or hedge, are easy to handle. Blades are rust-proof and are very durable.
There are shock-absorbing bumpers which reduce fatigue in arms. You also get a lifetime warranty with the product. If there is any problem with the product, it is easy to replace or return it without any hassle.
These hedge shears are durable and will last for a long time. They are useful in all kinds of gardens and for different types of work. Extendable handles offer a lot of flexibility and choice in the way you use them.
- 10 inch long serrated blades are sharp and very strong.
- Power-lever technology gives double-cutting power to do any gardening job.
- Blades are rust-resistant and durable.
- If you use to it to cut very thick twigs and bushes, the blades may break
These telescopic hedge shears are worth the money you spend on buying them. They have an excellent cutting capacity.
4. Corona HS 3950 Extendable Hedge Shear
These shears are great for taking care of your garden, hedges, lawn, and any bushes that you may have. It has lightweight steel handles that are extendable.
They can go from a length of 15 inches to 26 inches and have a soft grip. They feel very comfortable in your hands while you work. The blades are straight and are made with carbon steel.
Blades are 8.5 inches in length and are strong and durable. Any cuts with these blades are precise and clean.
ShockStop bumper helps you work longer without any fatigue in your arms and shoulders. If you are an avid gardener, you know that it is essential for a tool to feel comfortable.
There is a precision pivot bolt that helps in a smooth and easy cutting action. These are well-constructed shears, and it shows in the way they function.
Efficiency and comfort are both top class. Though it is made with steel, yet it is light in weight and has a smooth cutting action.
Users will not need to exert any unnecessary pressure while working. It comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
They will help you with replacement parts and also replace the product if there is any manufacturing issue. Shock-absorbing bumpers are a feature that you must look out for. It helps in reducing any jerks or vibrations that your arms feel.
- Lightweight and easy to use with a smooth cutting action
- Durable and strong, extendable handles for better reach
- More affordable than other products in its class
- The pivot bolt can become loose and fall out. Need constant tightening.
Extendable handles make these shears versatile and easy to use. Both handles and blades are made with carbon steel. Handles are comfortable to hold, and blades are very sharp.
5. ARS 28- to 41-1/2-Inch Hedge Shears
Are you finding it difficult to reach high and deep areas of your hedge or bushes? With these shears, it will get effortless. These shears are professional grade tools made with high-quality materials.
The handles are adjustable and can go from 28 to 41 inches in length. This kind of reach is ideal when you are landscaping areas with different types of features.
You can fix the handles at any suitable length with a locking button. By pushing this button, handles are locked securely.
You can extend and lock it in three positions. Aluminum handles are lightweight and soft to hold. It is easy to replace the handles as well as blades.
The blades are 6 inches long and chrome-plated for more strength. Blades are sharp and cut smoothly without you having to put a lot of pressure.
They are useful in all weather and are rust-resistant. Blades have a slight curve, which makes them even more efficient and effective. If they become blunt, it is easy to replace them.
You get very neat and precise cuts, and this is the main reason why professionals prefer to use them. These shears are great for people who work alone and don’t want to use ladders to reach high areas or stoop and bend to achieve low and deep areas.
Buy this product if you are looking for a high-quality product and don’t mind spending a little more for good results.
- Extendable handles can be fixed in three positions.
- Chrome-plated blades for more power and strength
- Curved blades are more effective with a better grip.
- It does not have shock-absorbing bumpers.
Hard to reach areas can become easy to reach with these shears. You can lock the handles in one of the three positions for more safety.
6. FLORA GUARD 26 Inch Professional Extensible Hedge Shears
These shears are perfect for shaping and beautifying the shrubs and topiary projects. Very flexible with the way they cut. You can make delicate as well as deep cuts with them.
An added feature is the extendable handles, which help you reach difficult places. The length can extend from 26 inches to 34.6 inches. Sharp wavy blades make these trimmers one of the best as far as preciseness is concerned.
A plant’s health needs to make the cuts precise and clean. Only then can a plant grow well. Blades are manufactured with forged carbon steel and very strong.
You will not find it hard on your arms with these sharp blades which cut through anything easily.
Wavy blades are best for slippery twigs and stems. They have a firm grip and hold onto the twig. There are shock-absorbing bumpers to stop or minimize all vibrations and jerks while you cut.
Extendable handles have a soft and non-slip grip and will feel comfortable in your hands. This product is backed with excellent customer service.
Any problems or queries are handled quickly, and customer satisfaction is of prime importance. If a user is not happy, it is possible to return within three months.
Overall, these shears are comfortable, balanced, and durable and will be an excellent addition to any gardener’s arsenal.
- Hardened SK-5 Japanese steel is used to make the sharp wavy blades.
- Excellent customer service and after-sale response
- Extendable handles have a soft grip for secure handling.
- Sometimes the handles can break or become loose and need to be replaced.
These shears are perfect for giving different shapes and doing both delicate works around the hedges and bushes, as well as some heavy-duty work. Blades are wavy and strong for all types of work.
7. A.M. Leonard 9-inch Wavy Blade Hedge Shears
Anybody who takes care of a garden regularly either as a professional or a homeowner knows that it is a thankless job. Every few days, you need to prune and trim to keep the garden looking neat and sharp.
These shears are lightweight, yet sturdy, and you will find it easy to use them. The blades in this product are wavy and long at 9 inches. Handles are made of aluminum and have a good grip.
These shears work well even with woody branches because of the durable blades. It weighs 2.7 pounds, which are more than many others, but you will not feel the heaviness because of its longer handles and reach.
Its blades are made of carbon steel and chrome plated. They are rust-resistant and effortless to clean. Blades are wavy and have slight scoring, which gives them good texture and makes it easy to cut even thick branches.
When you are cutting thick twigs and branches, you won’t feel the pressure in your arms. This is because of the shock absorber bumpers. The construction of this tool is excellent.
The pivot bolt, which is a problem in many tools, is sturdy and substantial. Finishing is excellent and handles with its molded grip have a comfortable feel. You can adjust the tension in the blades by twisting the pivot bolt.
- Pivot bolt is large and strong and secures the blades safely.
- The ergonomic design makes the tool versatile for all kinds of cuts.
- Lifetime warranty and replacement of any faulty part for the life of the tool
- It is quite heavy and working for long hours is a problem.
Strong SK-5 carbon steel wavy blades with chrome plating are excellent for cutting of hedges and all kinds of gardening work.
8. Gonicc Professional Adjustable 33″+ 13″ Hedge Shears
These shears are perfect for doing a variety of work in the garden. Adjustable handles made of aluminum alloy are very comfortable. It can go from 33 inches to 46 inches in length when extended.
It has hollow, SK-5 high carbon steel blades, which can reduce resistance and cut smoothly. You can adjust the pressure of the blades by twisting the screw, which is at the bottom of the shears.
The tool weighs about 3.4 pounds. Though it is a bit heavy, it has a good reach, and it is effortless to reach high or deep areas. Telescopic handles are easy to use, and even with the extension, you find it well balanced.
These shears offer a lot of great features at an affordable price. You will find that this tool is worth the money.
It would be best if you had comfortable handling and sharp cutting from a good hedge trimmer, and that is what you get here. Blades are very sharp and remain sharp even after extended usage.
Its shock-absorbing capacity is very high and will reduce any fatigue of arms. The company also offers a lifetime warranty.
You just have to take some photos of the product with the problem, and they will either replace or refund. Very few companies offer this kind of warranty, and it is a mark of the quality of the product.
- Adjustable handles offer great reach at 36 inches for taller branches.
- Hollow steel blades are ultra sharp and remain sharp for a long time.
- Comes with a lifetime satisfaction guarantee for replacement or refund
- Relatively heavier at 3.4 pounds and can rust easily.
A versatile and useful gardening tool that can help you in several ways! Handles are extendable and have a good reach.
9. Thanos Hedge Shears
These shears have some great features to make all the challenging gardening work seem effortless. It weighs about 2.9 pounds and is 27 inches long.
Handles are extendable and can be adjusted between 15.7 and 23.6 inches. It would be best if you pressed a button to increase the length of handles. Blades are wavy and made of SK-5 high carbon steel.
They are about 11 inches in length and also very sharp. They last longer than standard blades. Wavy blades are suitable for cutting without twigs sliding off.
If you get a clean-cut, you will not have any problem with the sap or sticky liquid. There is a flower-shaped pivot bolt with which you can easily adjust blade tension. This is important when you are cutting different types of plants.
The handles are ergonomically designed and made with aluminum alloy and rubber. They offer a comfortable, non-slip grip.
You can do a variety of work with these shears like trimming borders and hedges, removing weeds, cutting back perennial plants, and carrying out topiary projects.
Blades and handles form an angle of 20 degrees, which gives you control and requires less effort. The product comes with a lifetime warranty. Replacement or refund is possible in case you are not satisfied with the product.
- Wavy blade offers a firm grip on plants while cutting.
- Adjustable blade tension is useful when cutting different types of plants.
- Ergonomically designed and affordable price
- Wavy blades are harder to sharpen, so you will need to get professional help.
These shears with long, wavy blades are suitable for a variety of trimming and cutting. You can adjust the blade tension according to the type of plant you are cutting.
10. OARA Garden Hedge Shears
These shears are great for cutting and shaping hedges, topiary, and boxwood. The blades are made of 65MN carbon steel and have a Teflon coating as well.
These are very strong and sharp and can cut through all kinds of branches easily. Teflon coating also prevents rusting and reduces friction.
Most shears have a problem with corrosion and oxidation, but not this one. Its handles are designed ergonomically and have soft vinyl cushion grips. It is very comfortable and well balanced.
There are shock absorbers to reduce any unnecessary pressure on your arms. These shears are for people who like to maintain their garden on their own and not for professionals. So, the weight and ease of use are both critical factors.
The shears are 22 inches long and weigh only about 1.9 pounds. It is lightweight yet quite strong and gives precise results.
It has shorter handles, which allow for optimal cutting angle because it is close to the body. Shears are made with high-quality steel, and the construction is also top class.
Teflon coating is effortless to clean. It is important to clean after every use before storing it. Maintaining this tool is not a problem.
There is a team of professional designers and workers behind this product. This is an affordable product and perhaps among the lowest priced in its category.
- Blades are sharp and rust-resistant.
- Has cushioned handles and shock absorbers for comfortable cutting experience
- Lightweight and affordable shears
- Handles are not extendable, and parts are difficult to replace
When you buy these shears, you get a high-quality product which is lightweight and comfortable to use. Any home gardener would be happy to have them because they are inexpensive and yet give excellent results.
A good pair of hedge shears is a useful and necessary tool for gardeners. If you have a small garden with some hedges and bushes in it, then you know that it is essential to have the right tool to keep your garden looking good.
So, you have decided to get shears, and you are ready to pick one. We are sure that you feel clearer and more confident about your choice after going through all the information.
Let us again remind you about the factors that you should keep in mind while selecting:
- Find out how well they trim shrubs and hedges. For different plants, different products may be suitable
- What exactly is your requirement? This is important to find the best option
- How convenient are they to use? You want something comfortable and easy
- Weight and length of handles
- Extendable or not
- What kind of blade is there? Check its material and strength
- Easy to get replacement parts or not, etc.
There are many things that you should keep in mind apart from these. One thing which only you can decide is the budget! Remember that by spending a little more initially, you could be saving more in the long run.
All the products listed here are excellent and have some unique features. You have to match your needs with the right product.
However, we also think that among these ten, the Okatsune Precision Hedge Shears are the best. These are highly rated by professionals as well as home gardeners.
They are very precise, and the cuts are clean and sharp. They have a beautiful finish, and both the handles and blades are of Japanese origin.
It may seem expensive, but this tool can easily change the looks of your garden with its features. Use them and see even a tedious job like hedge cutting can become joyful!