What is a Lawn Edger?
Just like any beautiful painting requires the right frame, a lawn needs clean edges for it to look good. Lawn edgers are gardening tools used to define boundaries in the yard.
It could be between your lawn and the sidewalk or between the lawn and flowerbeds. When the grass starts growing over the edges, it can look a bit messy! A lawn edger will cut extra grass and keep your lawn looking neat.
There are many types of edgers available. Some are manual, and some run with a motor. When it comes to maintaining the lawn, the right tools are essential to save you both time and energy.
Taking care of the edges is not possible with a regular lawnmower. They are quite broad, and it is challenging to create sharp edges.
The best edger is what you need. Sometimes it is also called an edge trimmer. It is used to define the boundary lines of lawns and give them a clean look.
- What is a Lawn Edger?
- Why Do You Need A Lawn Edger?
- How Do You Choose?
- The 10 Best Edger
- 1.Best Overall: BLACK+DECKER 2-in-1 String Trimmer / Edger and Trencher
- 2. Best Lightweight: WORX WG154 Edger 20V 10" Cordless String Trimmer
- 3. Best For Large Areas: Southland SWLE0799 79cc Walk Behind Gas Lawn Edger
- 4. Most Environmentally Friendly: Greenworks 12 Amp Electric Corded Edger 27032
- 5. Most Precise: McLane 101-5.5GT-7Gas Powered Lawn Edger
- 6. Best Battery Operated: Ryobi P2300A ONE+ 9 in. 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Edger
- 7. Great Looks And Finish: Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger
- 8. Strong And Sturdy: EARTHQUAKE 23275 Edger
- 9. Easy And Effective: AMES 2917200 Saw-Tooth Border Edger with T-Grip
- 10. More Power Less Noise: CRAFTSMAN E405 29cc 4-Cycle Gas Powered Grass Lawn Edger
Why Do You Need A Lawn Edger?
Does your lawn look shabby? You have done everything possible! You have been mowing it regularly, weeding it, and watering without fail to keep it lush, but still, there is an unmaintained look about it!
What is that one thing missing from the lawn? Even after putting in hours of hard work, why is your lawn lacking a clean look?
The answer could be in the edges! Yes! The edges of your lawn or the strips of grass surrounding the flower beds or walkways are just as important as the lawn.
Types Of Lawn Edgers
There are different types of lawn edgers, available to choose from.
These are very simple and easy to use. They generally have a long handle and a sharp blade at the end. The blade is like a wheel, and you roll it around to cut the excess grass. They are cheap and suitable for small areas.
2. With Rollers
These are usually manual edgers. You need to push the roller wheels along the hard edge of the lawn. There are two types.
- One with solid steel disc which cuts the grass
- The second one has two star-shaped discs which rotate against each other
3. Gas operated
If the area to be maintained is large, then gas or petrol powered edger is perfect. They are more expensive than other types of edgers. They can have 4-stroke or 2-stroke engines. 4-stroke engines are more powerful and emit less pollution.
These are quite heavy and not easy to carry around. You need more storage space for keeping them. Regular maintenance is necessary to keep it working well.
These are best for the environment and are relatively inexpensive. These lawn edgers don’t make as much noise as the gas one. For a large area, you will need a long cord and electrical points to work well. You will have to be careful not to run over the cord!
5. Battery operated
They start with a press of a button, and there is no need to drag a cord, so these are very easy to use. However, you need to charge the batteries before you start work. The higher capacity battery will work longer. It is possible to use the same batteries in different tools of the same brand.
The Right Cutting Edge and Types of Blades
For a small lawn with not too many landscaping, a simple no-frills blade is alright. However, if you have a lot of trees, flowerbeds, and other features in your garden, then you need an edger with multiple options and blade settings. The main three types of blades on edgers are
- Flat Rectangular with Plain Edge – These are most common on lawn edgers. They are convenient and efficient for most of the primary jobs. It works well where the lawn is level with nearby hard surfaces.
- Flat Rectangular with Scooped Edges – These are best for detailed landscaping boundaries. If there are several features like flowerbeds, sidewalks, etc. then you need to cut delicately but with precision. These blades are also useful when lawn and hard surfaces are uneven.
- Star Shaped – These are best when the lawn is ending against a hard edge. If your lawn has a wall or a sturdy fence surrounding it, then star-shaped blades are best.
Depending on your needs, you can buy tools that allow you to replace blades and use them for different purposes.
Are edger blades hard?
No, edger blades are made with soft steel, and that is for a reason! Soft steel can bend easily, and while edging, this is useful and safe. Hard steel tends to crack easily and shatter into fragments.
If a blade hits a rock or any other hard surface, then shattering pieces can become dangerous. If it is soft steel, it will just bend and go out of shape. It is easy to change or repair it.
Do you need to replace edger blades?
With regular use, you will notice that the size of the blade gets smaller. It is getting ground.
Depending on how much you use, you should change the blade if the performance is terrible, and it is not edging correctly. Or, you should change it when you notice it getting much smaller than compared to its original size.
How Do You Choose?
There are many options available, and each brand has its unique features! How do you decide?
There are several factors that you need to consider before making this decision.
- Your choice will depend on the area you need to maintain. Is it very large or a small patch. Is it a small lawn in front of your house or a more professional job in a more significant area?
- Do you have to use the tool regularly, or is it just once in a while thing? You don’t have to spend too much money on a powerful machine only to use it once! On the other hand, if you are regular with lawn maintenance, then you will want the best one with all the features.
- The price of the edger is essential because there is a big difference in the rates of different types. Be clear about your budget and calculate all factors carefully before selecting any model and brand.
- Depending on where you are going to use it, noise can be a significant factor. In some residential areas, too much noise is not allowed. Even otherwise, noise pollution is harmful to everyone. If you are working in a relatively secluded area, then you can wear earmuffs and carry on.
- Whenever you work with any tools, you have to take certain precautions and follow all safety protocols. Wear full protective gear and make sure that you don’t get hurt.
- There are different types of edgers based on how they work. Match your needs with the various types to find the right fit.
- Gas operated
- Battery operated
- The size and weight of the edger are essential for using it properly. If you buy something big, then you need enough storage space as well. You should take a careful look at the length of the handles and try them before buying them. Some handle lengths can be adjusted but only to a small extent.
- Many people don’t realize this, but the type of grass you have in your lawn is also necessary. Some grass is thick and hardy, while some type of grass is soft and silky.
- Different edgers have different types of blades. Depending on what you need, the edger for you should get one with the right attachment. Some edgers come with multiple options, and if you have a lot of features in your garden, then these are best. Mostly there are 3 types of blades.
- Flat Rectangular with a plain edge
- Flat rectangular with a scooped edge
Apart from these three, there are a variety of blade sizes and types available. They are made of materials like
- Stainless steel
- Carbon steel
There are many famous brands making lawn edgers. Generally, it is better to go with a reputed brand because they are famous for a reason. However, if you want to go with a smaller brand, make sure to do your research correctly, especially about customer service.
Is A Lawn Edger Same As A String Trimmer?
Many people think they are the same, but they are not. A string trimmer is sometimes also called a weed whacker or weed eater. It is very convenient in areas that are difficult for a lawn lower to reach.
It can trim grass and remove weeds easily. Lawn edger and string trimmer are different in their functions. An edger can create a clear boundary, and a trimmer can maintain that boundary.
However, some models give you both options of edging and trimming in the same tool. It is possible to do some edging work with a string trimmer and vice versa.
Tips and Precautions While Using Lawn Edgers
If this is the first time you are going to pick up a tool, or you are a pro at this, it does not matter! Precautions are a must. Even with the simplest of tools like a manual edger, it is possible to hurt yourself. Let us take a look at some steps you can choose for your safety.
- Wear full safety gear. You can wear an overall or long-sleeved shirt and full pants
- Wearing safety glasses will protect your eyes from any flying debris
- If you are using a noisy machine, wear earmuffs to protect your ears
- While using an electrical edger, be careful about short circuits and electric shocks
- Wear sturdy shoes, or you may hurt your feet and toes
Other tips to follow
- Always mow the grass first. It will be easier to see clearly where you need to edge.
- Point the blade between the grass and the sidewalk or driveway.
- Watch out for trees, rocks, and other features. If you are not careful, you may damage these features or even the blade of your edger.
- With a new edger, always start in a corner, which could be like a trial run. Get used to the machine and its feel before using it extensively.
- Do it slowly and keep checking your progress if you are new to this. Very often, you may end up with ungainly trenches or bald patches. Watch this video for more tips.
The 10 Best Edger
If you have decided to have a lawn, then you will have to put in some efforts to keep it in good condition. If you love gardening, then you know that you need the right products, equipment, and hard work to keep your garden looking good.
One such tool is the lawn edger to keep it clean and perfect. It helps in giving precise edges and boundaries to the lawn.
Once you decide to buy it, there is another tough decision to make. Which one to buy? There is a lot of variety in brands and types based on their uses and other factors.
Here is a list of the top 10 lawn edgers with details about their features to help you find the best one to suit your needs.
1.Best Overall: BLACK+DECKER 2-in-1 String Trimmer / Edger and Trencher
The reason we have chosen this as the best overall cause firstly, it is from a brand like Black+Decker that is reputed and well known for the quality of its products.
Secondly, this tool is a multipurpose tool that can help you solve several problems in maintaining the garden. It has a 12-amp high-torque motor with an electrical engine. It produces no emissions.
This is not only an edger but also works as a trencher. This is extremely useful when you want to install outdoor lights or fencing.
You can even use it for planting bushes and small plants. Its blade can be adjusted in three ways. It makes it easy to control the depth and angle of edging and trimming.
The blade is seven and a half-inch in size, with about 3/16 inches in thickness. It is effortless to handle and use. You can assemble and start using it without any hassle.
There is built-in cord retention, and it keeps you from tripping over it or even accidentally unplugging it. It only weighs about 14 pounds and is easy to carry around maneuver in tight corners.
- Its pull-up edge guide converts the edger into a trencher conveniently.
- It is a three-way adjustable blade allows more control over depth and angle of edging.
- Both right and left-handed people can use it easily with its assist handles.
- Its motor is strong enough to tackle tough overgrowth yet light enough to carry around.
- Some users feel that it is best suited to small areas only and is not heavy-duty enough.
This product comes from a reputed brand and has some great features. It is a multipurpose tool and can work as an edger, trimmer, and trencher as well.
2. Best Lightweight: WORX WG154 Edger 20V 10″ Cordless String Trimmer
This is a beautifully and ergonomically designed product that converts to a string trimmer from a lawn edger in just a matter of seconds. It works on a powerful and lightweight MaxLithium 20 V battery that has an adjustable cutting width of 10 to 12 inches.
It has a 100 % automatic single line feed for maximum cutting performance. There is a foldable space guard that can protect flowers and other lawn ornaments.
There is only minor assembly required, which will only take about 5 minutes. There is a step by step instruction manual included with easy assembling instructions.
You will only need a screwdriver set to assemble it! It works effectively and weighs only about 4.2 pounds, even with the battery installed. This weight is evenly distributed between the main and the supporting handle and is very easy to handle.
It takes about 5 hours to fully charge the battery with the charger, which also comes with it. Its customer service is quite efficient. There is a 30-day money-back guarantee if you want to return it. Even the battery is covered by a 1-year limited consumer warranty.
- It is light in weight and yet performs actively.
- This is a great two-in-one trimmer & edger combo and changes from one to another quickly.
- Its 20-volt lithium-ion battery stays charged for a long time.
- It is perfect for small or medium-sized yards and lawns.
- It is not very sturdy and starts vibrating with tougher grass to cut.
Ergonomically designed and lightweight edger! It is perfect for a medium-sized yard. It is easy to carry and use because it works on batteries.
3. Best For Large Areas: Southland SWLE0799 79cc Walk Behind Gas Lawn Edger
This is a beast of a machine. This wheeled lawn edger can take the load off you thanks to its design. It is not a hassle to steer and push this heavy machine with its wheels.
It weighs about 60 pounds and has a 79cc, 4-stroke engine. You can get professional landscaping without paying the high price. It is perfect for large yards.
It has adjustable front and rear wheels, which make it easy to keep all corners perfectly manicured. Three triangular blades can be adjusted to five different depth positions. They can cut up to a depth of 2.5 inches.
You will find it easy to handle, and it will give precise results. Using it is easy with the manual recoil easy start function. The metal frame and blade guard make it safe to use and durable as well.
There are fewer chances of damaging the blade with this guard. It is quite easy to assemble and runs quietly for such a massive machine. With its many features, it will leave your lawn looking professionally landscaped.
- This product comes with a 2-year limited warranty with EPA and CARB certifications.
- The blade can be adjusted to 15 degrees plus or minus for bevel edging functions.
- Though it is heavy and runs on gas, it is quiet and not very noisy.
- Triangular blades can cut through all obstacles and have a guard to protect them.
- It is a bit heavy, and using it around delicate objects can be damaging.
This edger works on gas and is quite powerful. For working in large areas, it is perfect.
4. Most Environmentally Friendly: Greenworks 12 Amp Electric Corded Edger 27032
This lawn edger comes from a brand that is reputed and committed to creating zero-carbon emission products. This corded edger has a 12 amp engine.
It comes with an extended cord and cord lock feature to prevent any accidental unplugging. Front wheels are spring-loaded and work well with variable edging depths.
Its double-edged blade is made of steel and is approximately 7.5 inches. It is excellent for people who have small or medium-sized lawns and want to take care of it on their own. It cuts cleanly and gives a neat finish. For more comfort and control, there is an auxiliary adjustable handle.
The company offers a 4-year warranty, which is double the industry standard. They will repair, replace, or refund for edgers that are defective.
Its lithium-ion batteries are covered for a two-year warranty. However, you must charge the batteries following the manufacturer’s directions.
This edger is best for small yards because you need an extension cord for it to work. Its powerful motor can easily cut through the toughest of weeds and grass.
It has a traditional stick design, which makes it compact and easy to store. You can easily adjust it to your height, thanks to the adjustable shaft.
- Its integrated cord lock feature prevents any accidents and disconnections.
- It works smoothly and efficiently and can work for long periods.
- It weighs only 13.24 pounds, which makes it easy to handle and carry around.
- It has two wheels in the back and one in front. It makes it easy to push the machine forward.
- Its work area is limited to the length of its extension cord.
It is one of the most environment-friendly edgers. It comes from a company that prides itself on making zero-carbon emission products.
5. Most Precise: McLane 101-5.5GT-7Gas Powered Lawn Edger
When you are trying to create precise boundaries and give a defining edge, you need a lawn edger that works with precision. This gas-powered edger is precisely that! It has a lot of power, control, and precision.
The cutter head is a 9 by a 2-inch blade of spring steel. It is controlled with precision ball bearings. It is a powerful and durable tool for people who do regular yard work.
The machine is painted and sealed with a durable, chip, and corrosion-resistant powder-coated- baked polyester paint. Even after years of use, it will remain in good condition.
Though it weighs 66.3 pounds, it moves well and smoothly. It can cut both horizontally as well as vertically. This heavy-duty edger can even ride over curbs and other such obstacles.
Many professionals also like to use this machine for its features. You can adjust the blade and quickly change the angles and trim at any height.
Front wheels move fast and turn into a trimmer from an edger in a matter of seconds. All safety standards are in place, and what you get is high quality and a high precision machine.
- There is an all-steel heavy-duty chassis with a tubular steel handle for secure handling.
- It is designed to ride over most curbs and deliver precise cutting and edging.
- It is a heavy machine yet quite smooth and flexible with its blade angles.
- It is coated with a corrosion-resistant polyester paint which can last for a long time.
- It works well on straight edges, but if you need curves or shapes, it is not ideal.
This is a heavy edger and will work tirelessly for long hours. It is possible to adjust its blade in different positions to get better results.
6. Best Battery Operated: Ryobi P2300A ONE+ 9 in. 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Edger
If you want to give a beautiful look to your yard but don’t want the hassle of gas-powered edgers or to go around with a long cord, then try this one!
Battery operated lawn edgers are great for small and medium yards where the workload is less. It is light in weight but performs actively. Lithium-ion batteries are included with the product and are very efficient. From start to finish you will notice consistent performance.
There is no fade in power. The best part is that the same battery can be used with any tools from the same Ryobi One + family!
It can save you a lot of hassle when you are doing a project which requires multiple devices. It has a 9-inch dual serrated blade, which can be adjusted in 4 positions for depth control.
Its design is excellent, and front and back wheels allow for more stability. A molded handle ensures a comfortable grip and handling.
This edger is excellent for occasional gardeners who only need to do small jobs but with precision. It is easy to carry and handle and does not require any special instructions to use.
- Very convenient to use because it is battery operated and light in weight
- Once fully charged, the battery can work for a long time without any breaks.
- You can adjust the cutting depth to any of the 4 positions available.
- One battery can be used with many tools from the same brand family.
- The battery life is not very long, and it starts to wobble after some use.
Among the best battery operated edgers in the market. Its battery can be used in other tools from the same brand.
7. Great Looks And Finish: Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger
This edger is visually appealing as well as a great performer. It is a rotary lawn edger with a dual wheel. It has a 48 inch North American Ash, a lacquered handle that adds to its beauty and uniqueness.
It also gives the edger a lot of strength and durability. The company has been manufacturing hand tools for over 40 years, and you can see it in the products. They use modern technology to offer high-quality products. Its gray steel finished heads are clear coated and look beautiful.
This is a handy device and can be used by anyone. It is best used in small gardens or areas where only a small amount of finishing is required. Any handyman would love to have this tool.
This does not require any gas or electricity, and you can use it at any time by just picking it up. Some people like to work with their hands and don’t want to use too many machines.
It is also suitable for areas where it is difficult to use a big edger. Sometimes you may need to do a little bit of work in one corner of your lawn, and it does not make sense to carry a massive machine for this.
- Rotary lawn edger with dual wheels
- 48 inch lacquered ash handle for better grip and durability
- Comes from a reputed company with a long history
- They offer a ten-year free-replacement warranty which is better than its competitors
- People have noticed marking and staining on the surfaces near the edges due to its blade
It is a manual edger. Very simple to use but gives excellent results! Ideal for corners or hard to reach areas.
8. Strong And Sturdy: EARTHQUAKE 23275 Edger
A powerful 79 cc Viper engine in this machine makes it one of the toughest lawn edgers. It can take on even the most stubborn weeds.
It has a 4 wheel design, which is great for maneuvering. Its weight is equally distributed, and it is very stable. One of the most exclusive and useful features is the tool holder on the handlebar.
It is conveniently placed, and you can keep some extra tools and even a snack and bottle of water when doing your gardening. The safety features on this machine are outstanding.
It has a centrifugal clutch that stops the blade immediately if the throttle is released. It also has a double chain skirting, which will protect you from any flying debris.
You can easily keep the pavement and lawn edges looking tidy with this powerful and reliable edger. With its multiple cutting angles, it allows you a lot of flexibility while edging.
It weighs about 57 pounds and has a 9-inch blade. It is massive and powerful with its 4-cycle 79 cc Viper engine. However, with its pivoting head and 4-wheel design, it offers stability and excellent maneuverability.
It comes with a 5-year warranty. It can handle the toughest weeds and will give you straight and clean lines. The handlebar with a tool holder is ergonomically designed for a secure and comfortable grip.
- A useful safety feature is the chain skirting, which protects the operator from any flying debris.
- Its pivoting head allows you multiple edging and cutting angles.
- Centrifugal clutch will stop the blade if the throttle is released.
- Tool holder for small tools on the handlebar. Makes it convenient for simultaneous other lawn work
- It is powerful, and if you are not careful, you may end up with more significant cuts than you want.
This is a powerful edger with a 79 cc Viper engine. It has 4-wheel design and is very stable while in use.
9. Easy And Effective: AMES 2917200 Saw-Tooth Border Edger with T-Grip
There is a reason why this tool is one of the best selling and most preferred with customers. This is what gardeners like to use when working on a small patch and where control and precision are required.
It has a 15-gauge steel blade that is serrated and sharp. It can easily cut through grass and earth. The design of the blade is such that you can cut straight or curved edges both.
It is ideal for creating clear boundaries around flowerbeds or areas where you cannot risk using a bigger machine.
Its design is simple, but it is useful. Its footplate is a unique feature and allows a user to control it with ease.
It also makes it more comfortable to use and gives consistent results. For people with small lawns or who want to do some work around their precious flowers, this is an ideal choice.
Due to its arched blade design, it is also possible to make unique shaped borders around the flowerbeds or trees in your garden. Its blade dimensions are approximately 9 by 4 and a half inches.
With the large step and sharp blade, removing sod is not a problem. It comes with a 15-year limited warranty, and if you keep it neat and clean, it can work for many years.
- It is a manual edger, and thus no assembly required. Unpack and start using
- Its arched blade shape can help you create unique looking boundaries.
- It is ideal for small lawns or small areas where detailing is essential.
- Its blade is made of 15 gauge strong steel. It is serrated and sharp and does the job.
- The handle is not very comfortable to hold for a long time and can become slippery.
Manual edger, which is perfect for small yards and lawns! People find it easy to use, and the results are excellent.
10. More Power Less Noise: CRAFTSMAN E405 29cc 4-Cycle Gas Powered Grass Lawn Edger
If you are looking for a powerful lawn edger but don’t want the noise, choose this craftsman edger! This gas edger with its 29 cc, 4 cycles no mix oil and gas engine is just perfect.
It is powerful and will give excellent finishing touches to your lawn. It is designed to produce less noise and less pollution. It is mounted on a steel frame, which reduces the weight yet keeps it stable.
The blade is a 9-inch dual-tip steel blade and can cut to a depth of 1.75 inches. You can adjust it easily to 6 depth positions. It has an advanced 2 step starting function, and you just need to prime and pull.
There is an ergonomic handle that is fully molded. It has a throttle and other control buttons on it for easy use. The three wheels are quite strong and don’t wobble while in motion.
These are premium transport wheels. You may opt for an electric starter, which can eliminate the need for manual start. It is sold separately, and you can place an order.
- The 29 cc engine is powerful but is not noisy and does not vibrate much.
- With a 4 cycle engine, there is no mixing of oil and gas.
- Its 2 steps advanced starting is easy, and an optional electric starter can make it even easier.
- It only weighs 30 pounds and easy to handle. It is perfect for a small or medium area.
- You have to spend more money to buy an electric starter if you don’t want to start it manually.
It is powerful yet small and light enough for use in medium-sized lawns. It is quite stable and does not vibrate or make much noise.
Do you dream of sitting on your beautiful lawn under the sun? Do you realize that maintaining a pristine lawn is not very easy? You have to monitor it regularly and look after it.
A good lawn requires good soil, proper nutrition, water, sunlight, and, most of all, your care and maintenance. Getting the best lawn edger is a part of this process.
Lawn edgers can give your lawn clean and precise lines and boundaries. They can separate the grass from driveways and flowerbeds in a neat way.
There are several options available, and it is difficult to choose! We have shared information about the ten best lawn edgers and also how they work.
However, it is up to you, and the final decision is yours. You must take stock of your needs and then match it with the one product which offers you the best options.
You can hire a professional to do all the work, but if you do it yourself, you will feel a sense of accomplishment!
You may not think so, but proper edging can make any ok looking garden to look spectacular! They streamline the borders and give your garden a well looked after look.
Hopefully, with all this information at your disposal, you will be able to make the right choice and, with the right tool, have a beautiful lawn that you can be proud of!