Monilaria Moniliforme belongs to a sub-family of Aizoaceae named “Ruschioideae.” It has small, thinly succulent leaves or shrubs, mostly 15cm tall. The scientific name of this plant is Monilaria moniliformis lhlenf and joergens. Its common names include Bunny Succulent, String of pearls, Bunny Ear Succulent, Beaded Ice Plant, and Beaded Vygie. It gained popularity because it resembled bunny ears.
“Moniliforme is a Latin word having the meaning of necklace.”
Follow this article till the end to enjoy amazing facts about Monilaria Moniliforme.
- What Are Succulents?
- Are these Plants Real?
- Size of the Monilaria Moniliforme
- Process of growing Monilaria Moniliforme
- Time required to grow Monilaria Moniliforme
- How to save Monilaria Moniliforme if rotting starts?
- Requirements to follow before planting Monilaria in Garden:
- Benefits of planting Monilaria Moniliforme
What Are Succulents?
Plants that have the ability to store water in them and can survive under dry conditions. They can sustain themselves in different environments due to this ability. Monilaria Moniliforme is also a succulent plant that can survive under harsh conditions.
This species is mainly found in the deserts of southern Africa and Arabia because of its ability to sustain in different temperature ranges.
>> Related Post: 10 of the Cutest, Most Popular Indoor Succulents
Are these Plants Real?
Most people think that these plants have no physical existence, or in other words, you can say that these plants are artificially created. But the interesting fact is that these are natural plants having a resemblance to bunny ears. You can find these plants in the nurseries near your home. They are often named Monilaria. This plant usually has a large stem having small leaves like a potato cut in the shape of a finger.
Size of the Monilaria Moniliforme
The stem of this plant can grow up to 15cm in length and 3cm in diameter. On each stem, there are only two leaves having a maximum length of 15cm and 0.5cm diameter. Mainly, it is observed that the leaves grow in the winter as they fall in summer.
Process of growing Monilaria Moniliforme
The method of growing these plants is explained below very briefly.
1. By seed
- It is a conventional process that utilizes seeds for the growth of this plant in a home.
- For this purpose, a pot is required that has a hole at the bottom for draining excess water.
- A mixture of soil, compost, perlite, and charcoal will be beneficial in this regard because it has the ability to drain water quickly and store on required water.
- This well-drained property of the soil helps in caring for the plant as it requires less water for growth.
- Add this mixture to the pot and create a hole in it with the help of a finger. Add a seed of the plant at a distance of about 2 to 2.5 inches. This will be helpful to make your pot looks full of leaves and attract the viewer.
2. From Rabbits
- This is another essential procedure for the plantation of the plant followed worldwide.
- In this method, separate the succulent plant into two parts. This process is a little different from the conventional seed method.
- The parts of succulents must be planted in a dish containing a mixture of soil. Add water to it and allow it to saturate it thoroughly.
- After that, wrap the dish with a plastic sheet to provide a humid control environment inside.
- This process should be done for two weeks; after that, remove the plastic sheet, and you can transfer it to the pot.
3. By removing stem portion of existing plant
- It is the third most essential method of producing this plant.
- First of all, remove one of the stems of the existing plant. The stem must have two leaves only.
- After that, please place it in your home for some days to let it dry.
- When you notice the stem is dried, prepare the soil mixture having soil, compost, perlite in equal proportions, and adding charcoal will be helpful in proper draining of the soil.
- Place the dried stem in the pot having soil and add some water to it.
4. By using leaves of existing plants
- Succulent plants have the unique ability that they can be grown via planting leaves. The reason is that these leaves can store water in them.
- Cut the leaves of the existing plant from a point where it is connected to the stem.
- Cover this leaf with paper or cloth and place it in the dark. It will help in the dryness of the leaf and make it perfect for the plantation.
- Prepare the soil as discussed above for this plant and put these leaves in a pot. Add water to it. It will take a few days to start growing this plant again.
- Remember one thing to place a pot in an area having 650F temperature can be maintained.
5. Essential caring tips
This plant is susceptible. Intense sunlight and fast winds can damage this plant. Here, I am going to share some tips to care this plant for proper growth.
- Add water to these plants on a regular basis. Avoiding adding too much or too little water can help in the proper nourishment of the plant.
- The pot having this plant should place between larger pots or placed on gravels and place bricks sideways to protect the plant from direct sunlight and winds having high velocity.
- This type of plant wants average sunlight exposure compared with other plants of this family.
- It is recommended to plant this plant in a pot, but you can change its place in your home according to the season.
- Those stems whose leaves fall, pick them as they are wet. It’s up to you to decide whether you want to throw away or retain them for the next season until they dry.
Time required to grow Monilaria Moniliforme
This plant was discovered by the famous botanist Marloth and described as “a soft green hue” because it seems like someone just pulled it out from the ground. The process of growing this plant is slow compared with other plants, so it must be observed that the soil has enough water for the plant. Also, keep checking the condition of the soil. If it appears too wet, take steps to reduce water content; otherwise, it will cause damage to the plant. A better option is to avoid adding too much water.
The conditions required for the growth of this plant are humidity, soil mixture, and temperature range. If all of these are in favor of the plant, it will take up to two years for the plant to start producing leaves. If the conditions are not favorable, these plants will never grow.
How to save Monilaria Moniliforme if rotting starts?
These are thorny plants, primarily stems having the ability to make your garden or home attractive. But these plants have the ability to rot if over-watered. The rot will be either from the root or stem depends on the condition. I am going to explain the steps involved in order to save this plant.
- Check the plant and identify the area of rotting. Rotting signs are black spots that appear on the lower part of the plant. Apart from this, dark-tinted and puckered flesh appears on the rotting area.
- In order to avoid rotting, your first step should be to remove the Monilaria from the pot and separate all the soil. The pot must be cleaned properly in order to avoid any remaining fungus.
- Take a knife and remove the rotting part from it. Now, place the remaining plant in the dark and warmer area to dry it. This plant will recover from this situation if the mentioned conditions are met.
- When the plant becomes fully dry, take a new or cleaned pot, whatever is available to plant Monilaria in it. Take equal proportions of soil, coarse sand, and perlite. Put this plant in a pot and place it somewhere in your home. Add water after one week. See the condition of soil and plant after water addition.
- If you want to avoid plant rot in the future, don’t forget to add only desired amount of water on a regular basis.
Requirements to follow before planting Monilaria in Garden:
Now, one question arises here that can we plant this in our garden? The answer is Yes. In this section, I am going to discuss steps of how to grow this in our garden.
- As I discussed before, these plants require a location to grow, where some time full or partial sunlight is available easily. For this reason, these plants must be planted in a garden by placing bricks or hurdles around them in order to avoid indirect sunlight exposure.
- You must prepare the soil as we did in the pot case. First, start with removing grass from the area of the plantation. Then, take the soil oil from that area up to 10 inches deep. Add perlite, compost in it in equal proportion. The addition of charcoal will be helpful in making this mixture well-drained.
- You can also use sand and gravel in the mixture of soil to create a well-drained atmosphere for plant growth.
- Now it depends on your planning skills to plant this. If you want a lush area, place the stems or seeds close to each other. It will serve as natural décor in the garden.
- Whenever you plan a party in your garden, it will create a charming look for your guests.
- And, if you want first to grow them individually and then place them at a distance of 2 to 2.5 inches apart.
- Water these plants after one week of plantation because roots will be hardened in the soil during this period.
- Check the situation of the soil by touching the soil. If it seems dry, add water to it; otherwise, not. It is recommended to add water two times a month during summer and spring and once during winter and fall.
How to add fertilizer?
This step is very vital for the nourishment of the plant. Researchers suggest using a liquid form of fertilizer for plants because the solid form can damage the roots of these plants. Use phosphorus enriched fertilizer for these plants. You can buy from a nearby nursery or plant store named Houseplant fertilizer.
Benefits of planting Monilaria Moniliforme
1. Natural Décor
Look at the tiny leaves that have a shape like bunny ears. How beautiful they are. This can be used as a source of natural décor in your home, can be placed inside the house and on the lawn. They will create an attractive look for your home. The tiny 15cm leaves will attract everyone towards them if it is decorated with colorful lights.
2. Easy Maintenance
These plants can be easily maintained, avoiding the hurdle of extra care. Just add water today, and you are free for the next two weeks. Go outside for a picnic, outing, etc. Spend your time with whoever you want. You will have two weeks to enjoy in summer and spring. In winter and fall, you will have one month for enjoyment. You can go to hilly areas outside your country for vacations.
3. Small Space requirement
Just imagine one thing that How much space the small pot will acquire in your home? I know your answer, and that is very little. You don’t even think about this question if you plant this in the garden. Inside the home, place them near the window to capture sunlight throughout the day.
4. Health Benefits
Plants are a great source of providing oxygen and absorbing carbon dioxide. They can create a balance in the ecosystem. Inside the home, they are used to tackle the dangerous product named “Formaldehyde” generated due to different household items. This will also help in controlling the dryness of the air.
I’ve done my utmost to raise your understanding about this plant. This claim is based on my own personal experience and observation. I am hopefulthat you will enjoy it. It will be advantageous to all of you, especially those who are involved in botany. Lastly, I want everybody of you to plant this in your residence.
If you like this blog, don’t hesitate to remind your friends and family about all this. If you know any more intriguing facts, please share them in the comments area.